so yesterday i was playing some stuff like metallica and all, then i tried paul gilberts scarified, its really fast, and i cant do it, i also can to the descending riff from in your face by Cob,

and i was wondering what i should do for speed build up?

btw im playing for about 2 years now, i can tap, alterante pick...well i can do a whole bunch of techniques, i got the hang of tappping a couple of weeks ago, i can make my guitar sqeal with some artificial harmonics, but my hand is really rusty,

also my pinky, doesnt have too much relfexes, its strong but not as fast as the other fingers...

any kind help would be appreciated
Practice slowly building up speed with a metronome. Start playing 16ths at like 80 bpm, then slowly get faster, increase in increments of like 8 or 10.
^+1, but I'd go even farther. 40bpm, say, until you can do it all easy as pie, and get your timing spot-on. Then up to 45, 50, and so on.
well i dont have a metronome, i got the digitech rp80 and it has like dat ****ty drumtrack in it, i use that...=(

and what should i practice?
I'd start with some chomatic warmups for the pinky and maybe some pentatonic and major scale exercises. Also you could slow down some of the riffs from scarified and practice them. You can use the drum machine as a metronome just make sure you slow it down to a tempo you can play cleanly at.
Quote by adave
I'd start with some chomatic warmups for the pinky and maybe some pentatonic and major scale exercises. Also you could slow down some of the riffs from scarified and practice them. You can use the drum machine as a metronome just make sure you slow it down to a tempo you can play cleanly at.

thanks a lot bro, but what about the sweepings? cause that song has a lot of sweeps in it