Hello all

I like to watch guitar videos, and I've noticed that when I see adult players, like Gilbert, Petrucci, Vai, Vaughan...anyone, really...I have a great admiration for them and it really inspires me to play more.

However, when I see a teenager (except FunTwo's version of canon rock), or a 12 year old showing off their mad skillz, I for some reason hate them. Even if they're really good. I imagine them being really arrogant pricks.

I guess I'm jealous cos I'm 16 and I'm nowhere near as good. Actually, no-one I know is as good as the people I see on YouTube.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?
They practice more than you. What's your problem? If you want to be that good, spend less time watching other people, getting jealous, and complaining, and more time playing.
Nope.

I do dislike the ones who show that they are really arrogant, though. And even worse, the ones who are really arrogant and can hardly play. "Yeah, look at my Gibson SG Standard and my Marshall JCM800. You know they're better than your cheap Strat copy and solid state practice amp." *Proceeds to play a part from a really good song but butchers it, hitting the wrong notes, being out of time and creating bad tone with good gear.*

You know the ones...

But apart from those few, I don't mind them. And I admire the fact that they're younger than me and a lot better

Edit: And yeah, the guy with the cheap gear can usually play a lot better than them, is quite modest and somehow manages to get a nice tone.
Sounds a bit stereotypical but I actually think alot of guitarists who play exclusively for youtube are ****!

Seriously. Ever heard of Vibrato and not playing guitar as if it's "paint by numbers"? I'm sure most of them have not.
Yeah, a little. If there's someone my age that plays really good, while I've only been playing for a year, struggling with the CFH solo, I get a little jealous.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
All the time. Mostly when I watch YouTube videos. Though, I never met another person around same age as me that I have been jealous, it's usually the other way around... (not to brag but I am just sayin)
Quote by Archaon
They practice more than you. What's your problem? If you want to be that good, spend less time watching other people, getting jealous, and complaining, and more time playing.

Amen.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
i get jealous, i think its just basic human nature to...

but i dont really get MAD at them, cus as much as it may annoy you, its not gonna change the fact that there better players.
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Quote by Steve The Plank
You can tell who the pricks are by their facial expressions, actions and comment descriptions.

Exhibit A:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sSjUdWxfsmg

Just watch that... Eugh. The horrible whammy intro ****, the wankage 'shredding,' on the low strings and then the actual poor performance itself :/

that guy is a real bonehead
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Quote by Nirvana-Man
you won't see many "bad" people on youtube cause no one wants to embarrass themselves. Only really "good" or confident people post on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN7FARr2zj4

I can't even begin to imagine why that kid decided to post that video. Or any of the other videos he has, for that matter.
I mostly listen to punk where talent is optional,

I don't care how well others play
Quote by Archaon

I do practice.

But I spend a lot of time on UG, too. Where people always post these videos of kids of my age who probably manage to practice 10 hours a day.

I simply would never be able to practice that much. I'd get bored of it. I don't want to force myself to do something which is supposed to be a leisure time activity.

And I'm not really complaining. I'm asking if anyone shares my opinion.
Quote by Steve The Plank
You can tell who the pricks are by their facial expressions, actions and comment descriptions.

Exhibit A:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sSjUdWxfsmg

Just watch that... Eugh. The horrible whammy intro ****, the wankage 'shredding,' on the low strings and then the actual poor performance itself :/

Vai actually composed that song.
Well, there's never any point in whining threads. Just spend more time practicing than whining like people above said
me too. i'm a very jealous person. i get jelous extremely easily.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by paulvxD
All the time. Mostly when I watch YouTube videos. Though, I never met another person around same age as me that I have been jealous, it's usually the other way around... (not to brag but I am just sayin)

Yeah, there aren't many good guitarists at Chaboya that I know of. But there's a freshie at EVHS who's kinda ok.
Quote by Jackolas
Sounds a bit stereotypical but I actually think alot of guitarists who play exclusively for youtube are ****!

Seriously. Ever heard of Vibrato and not playing guitar as if it's "paint by numbers"? I'm sure most of them have not.

Vincent 745?
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
I had the most experience watching the Kirk Hammet Shred Masterclass lesson on UG TV. Basically, the instructor go "and now my student will show you how you put the contents of this lesson to use" and I think to myself "Huh, I guess he'll have someone come lay down the rythm while the teachers plays some shred solo, that's pretty cool". I get pretty shocked when it turns out his student's like 10 years old. In my head I go "Shit, that rythm track sounded pretty complicated, kan this kid handle it?". That's when I realize the kid's the one who's gonna solo...

And he's amazing, much better than me I reckon. This is one of those typical moments where most people tend to go bitter, but I am so amazed by this child that I can't even be jealous of him. I only think one thing at that moment: "I wanna practice more until I reach that skill- if he can then surely so can I!".
The only guitarists on youtube that I hate are the ones that make the guitar into a gimmick.
I'm a stupid jackass.
Quote by Denthúl
Nope.

I do dislike the ones who show that they are really arrogant, though. And even worse, the ones who are really arrogant and can hardly play. "Yeah, look at my Gibson SG Standard and my Marshall JCM800. You know they're better than your cheap Strat copy and solid state practice amp." *Proceeds to play a part from a really good song but butchers it, hitting the wrong notes, being out of time and creating bad tone with good gear.*

You know the ones...

yeah, i hate those dudes, who have an awesome gear and play like sh*t or just sh*t music. like once, i saw a stupid punk pop band on tv and the dude was using a Gibson explorer and a mesa boogie, and i was like: wtff¡¡!! what would i do with those things. i would beat the hell outta him in playing guitar, but you cant do a thing
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
ok last week i was at a guitar shop and one of those youtube kids was there, shredding his ass off making me look like a complete tool. i dont like showing off and i suck ass so i can anyways but this dude was like 12 and killing me. and he was being pretty arrogant to. he just kept whining that he wanted to play the yngwie strat and the guy kept telling him to wait he had to get it. god it was so bad
Quote by sashki
I do practice.

But I spend a lot of time on UG, too. Where people always post these videos of kids of my age who probably manage to practice 10 hours a day.

I simply would never be able to practice that much. I'd get bored of it. I don't want to force myself to do something which is supposed to be a leisure time activity.

And I'm not really complaining. I'm asking if anyone shares my opinion.

Absolutely, guitars fun. But for 10 hours a day it aint that fun
What you need to do is turn the jealousy into awe and inspiration, stop watching kids on YouTube.

Go to a live show (at a pub, or something like that) where a band is made up of fully grown men who have been playing most of their lives. That shit is incredible. I get that strange 'woah' feeling inside my gut. And I always think to myself, "I'll be that good someday".

It's even better when you talk to them after, or if you were playing with/before them. They ALL encourage you on. There's no bitching or smarmy comments about anything you can't do. It's all face-to-face advice and friendliness.

And that is what I have to say about that.
*wanks*
To be honest, never happened to me. I appreciate and respect both the professional and non-professional musicians who are better than me. If a kid who's 12 happens to play better than me (not hard because I suck ass) there is no way for me to be jealous of him.
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is