My guitar teacher told me that if you wash your hands before playing and keep your guitar in it's case when not playing it, that the strings will last much longer. Man, I tried this and it really works! I recommend it to anybody having a problem with dirty strings and whatnot. How many of you guys actually follow these guitar care guidelines? Cause it is kind of a pain
I'll wipe my guitar down but im just too lazy to wash my hands every time i pick up the guitar.
i don't have a case yet for my acoustic, and i haven't donne it for my bass but i'll start
Heres some tips to get the most out of your strings in terms of lifespan:

1. Ensure your saddle, bridge pins and machine heads are in good condition and there are no sharp edges etc that could cause premature string breakage.

2. Re-string your guitar properly remembering to wrap the string around the tuner.

3. Use long life strings. Elixirs and D'Addario EXPs are great from my experience. (This is purley optional, if you prefer the sound of uncoated strings thats fair enough)

4. Make sure your hands are clean before playing.

5. Wipe down your strings after playing.

6. Dont change tunings (drastically) too often. Im sure going from standard to drop D every now and then wouldnt hurt but i you were to say, go from standard to Drop B and back daily im sure that would reduce the lifespan of your strings.
I leave my guitar on the floor in my room when I'm not playing. I treat it like ****. I should take better care but I'm so god damn lazy.

My friends like, wipe their guitars down and stuff when they finish though, and I'm like "dude wtf, you're such a cube".
cube lol

If im playing the prs i'll wash my hands and I keep it in the case but for the epi i dont bother as its already knackerd
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
I should start following it. My guitar is looking really greasy and there's tons of white flakes on the fretboard lol

Ya I also just leave mine on the floor or just kick it under my bed
i wipe and dust my guitar.
its a glossy black colour and you can see fingerprints on it dead easy.
but i don't have any problems with dirty strings or whatevs
Washing your hands reduces the amount of oils on your skin. That's why its good to wash before playing. Besides, its just a good idea to wash your hands every once in a while anyways.

As mentioned before, you should alway wipe down the strings after playing. I use a microfiber cloth but any lint free cotton cloth will do.

If you're learning to play, like I am, then DON'T keep your guitar in the case. Put it on a stand so you see it every time you walk into the room. When you see it, you at least think about playing it. If its in the case, your a little less likely to play.
i keep my guitar in my room leaned up around my amp with clothe piled around it and music spread every where. i have to shovel s**t off my stuff evertime i play and a play a whole lot. it doesnt really bother me to change my string just because new strings fell sooooo good. i dont feel like spending the money on a case either. whenever i take my axe anywhere i carry it over my shoulder like you should!
they call og or nothing at all!!
I just recently started playing so I never had to change the strings yet. My guitar is an Ibanez with a gloss black finish. I dont really wash my hands before playing or wipe/dust my guitar after playing. I should get into a habit of it though. I usually play shirtless so the sweat from my chest and my armpits gets on my guitar and just dries on there. It's actually pretty disgusting now that I think about it. I'm gonna go clean my guitar now guys.
Quote by SgtBeavis
Washing your hands reduces the amount of oils on your skin. That's why its good to wash before playing. Besides, its just a good idea to wash your hands every once in a while anyways.

As mentioned before, you should alway wipe down the strings after playing. I use a microfiber cloth but any lint free cotton cloth will do.

If you're learning to play, like I am, then DON'T keep your guitar in the case. Put it on a stand so you see it every time you walk into the room. When you see it, you at least think about playing it. If its in the case, your a little less likely to play.

that is good advice! I really don't have that problem cause i WANT to play all the time!
Sometimes I follow the washing hands, but I do always keep it in the case when I'm not playing it.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I don't wash my hands before playing because it makes my fingertips soft and spongy and I have a hard time playing for at least an hour. I do if I just came in from working in flower beds or something, but that's a different story and I avoid anything like that if I have to gig. after I take a shower I have to wait an hour or more to play, the fingers will be soft and I'll be ripping chunks of callouses off if I'm not careful.

I never keep my guitars in the cases, I won't go through the trouble to unpack one and play. All guitars are always on stands and ready to go, and I find that if they're out in plain sight ready to rock I'll play a lot more. I always advise beginner players to keep the guitar out and ready to go. Get a $15 wall hanger if nothing else, you want it out and ready so all you have to do is pick it up. You'll be much more inclined to play than if it's in a case, out of sight, out of mind...

I always wipe my guitars down after playing, especially after a gig. I use old t-shirts after I start to wear holes in them, a pair of scissors gives you a nice soft cloth to keep guitars cleaned up with. A camera brush and a box of Q-tips are great for cleaning out tight spots like bridges, tuners, Strat output jacks etc. If your guitar gets really grimy, a damp cloth works well, and I did not say wet, just barely damp. You dont want much water on your guitar...I don't use or recommend polishes.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...