Hey, so in my guitar class at school, there's a girl who just bought her first guitar the day before school. Turns out it was a First Act. Anyway, she was having problems tuning (she had just started that day) and she asked me to tune it for her. So I tuned it and she let me play it a little, and it sounded REALLY good! Now i'm mad, cause i spend 500$ on my Dean Tucson (go to my pictures in my profile to see a pic) and i noticed they sound very similiar. I keep telling myself tthree things though:
1: Her strings were really fresh, and the one on my guitar were old and rusted.
2: Not to brag, but i think my guitar looks way cooler than hers. Mine has those lizard inlays, and i THINK inlays are expensive.
3: Her's is not electric-acoustic like mine, so i guess that makes a little difference

So, what do you think? I also have the sitiation with another kid who has a Fender Starcaster. I'm not trying to put down this girl, i just want to know if i got ripped off.
P.S. Im not sure if it was 500$, i know if was between 400$ and 500$ though. But thats beside the point, cause i know those first acts are cheap.
Here's a pic:

There's a link online for one that goes for 470$, so i guess mine was more expensive cause i got it right from a Dean-only store
I don't see what you're worried about man. You seemed to pay a decent price for that specific guitar, and as long as you enjoy playing it, you have no reason to be unhappy.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by sSyLc
I don't see what you're worried about man. You seemed to pay a decent price for that specific guitar, and as long as you enjoy playing it, you have no reason to be unhappy.

Don't get me wrong, i love my guitar and it sounds great, but there's just that little shadow of doubt that i got ripped, and i just want UG's opinion
I don't think you got ripped. She doesn't have those killer inlays and she can't plug it in.

And to tell you the truth, my 90 dollar Fender DG10 Acoustic always sounded amazing when I put fresh strings on, but they get worn and the sounds turns to crap. Complete crap.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
I don't think you got ripped. She doesn't have those killer inlays and she can't plug it in.

And to tell you the truth, my 90 dollar Fender DG10 Acoustic always sounded amazing when I put fresh strings on, but they get worn and the sounds turns to crap. Complete crap.

whew... thanks man! I don't know, it makes you kinda feel bad when someone buys a guitar for less than one fourth of the cost of your guitar and it sounds just as good. Any other opinions?
What a badass set of inlays

But you know, from what I understand, electric capabilities add atleast 150-200 dollars onto an acoustic guitar's price. It pays off if you plan to do any gigging...so that constitutes a good part of the difference between your price and hers.
Dean has excellent electronics in their guitars. And the fit and finish is excellent (at least mine is). Doubt you got ripped at $500
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Just wait your guitar is probably Solid top at least and hers is almost definitely laminate. Her sound will deteriorate over time and yours will improve.

She got a beginner guitar what are you worried about???
Yeah, don't be so insecure about it. You've got a beautiful instrument there and at a reasonable price. As long as you love it and love how it sounds, don't worry about wether or not you may have gotten ripped off. Besides, a guitar is just a hunk of wood with some strings attached, it's what you do with it that makes it a thing of beauty
I agree with Thayes93

Put new strings on your guitar and then compare it. If you don't change you strings at least once per month you're sound quality is going to suffer so it's not a fair comparison. Heck I change my strings every 2 weeks because I can't stand the sound decay.
Quote by Guitar Hack
I agree with Thayes93

Put new strings on your guitar and then compare it. If you don't change you strings at least once per month you're sound quality is going to suffer so it's not a fair comparison. Heck I change my strings every 2 weeks because I can't stand the sound decay.

Every 2 weeks?!? Well, i did put new strings on it and it sounds great.... it was just a moment of doubt (every guitarist has one)
Depends how much you value you put on fretboard inlays whether you got ripped off or not. And electronics definately do add value to a guitar, so there should be at least a $100-$200 difference between guitars.

Personally (and this is a personal opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt), I think Dean acoustics (like Fenders) are carried on the back of their electrics. One thing I've learnt is that producers of great electrics rarely make great acoustics, the only exception I can think off the top of my head is Gibson.
Well personally I think there is better value for money than any dean acoustic, but what I value is going to be different to others. Put some enw strings on it. On an acoustic the strings really matter. If i could afford it and could be bothered I would change my strings every 3 weeks... But I cant and I dont. But by 3 weeks (of pretty light playing really) they are dead. Its not as bad as a better guitar with solid woods as the guitar actually has some decent sound to it and doesnt almost completely depend on the strings like cheaper guitars, but all acoustcis need regular string changes otherwise there wont be any realy definition and you will get a lot of muddy bass, mainly when you hit the low E string. When my strings are getting old, i tend to not play the low e when i play chords cos it just completely muddies everything.

Conclusion:
Buy enw strings no matter what, everyone sho8uld and if i had it my way everyone would, every 2 weeks at least, and strings would be free, but i cant have everything