Poll: Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
Yes, Im a lefty!!!!
141 57%
No, Im a righty!!
105 43%
Voters: 246.
Page 1 of 6
So my fellow Ugers, I am doing my law homework and I stumbled across an intersting subject....

Should inmates be allowed to vote?

EDIT:

Quote by MiG_853
Yes they should, and it has nothing to do with being left or right winged in view; I hate it when people try to simplify moral and phylosophical issues into a system of polar oposites! There are more options than Democrat and Republican ok?!

You fail to see the sarcasm in the poll options...good job.

The whole lefty righty thing is joke, dont take it seriously.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Last edited by preludetowar at Sep 23, 2007,
Yes. A lot of the crap that people are in prison for is trivial. I don't think it's fair to take away their right to vote.
Peepee on yo tittays
Not if they're convicted felons. It's the law, genius.
Last edited by maroon5mustdie at Sep 23, 2007,
why the hell not? prisoners have opinions too
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Even if we gave them the right I bet they still wouldn't give a s***.
like **** should they. they should have thought about that before they broke the law!

edit: unless they are there for a parking violation.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Last edited by flambe chicken at Sep 23, 2007,
No they shouldn't, becuase they committed a crime, and prison should be the last place anyone should want to go. Not allowing them to vote is just another reason not to commit a crime.
Yes.

Quote by Freedom Fighter
Yes.

Because prisons account for 60% of the USA's population.

Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I suppose so. They still have opinions.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Jawkster
you left.. left.. left fascists..

now hey there... i maybe left and a fascist...

what was the third thing you said?

i think it depends on the crime.. murder.. no vote... grand theft.. no vote.. anything else.. sure

also i only voted yes because it said "im a lefty"

join my lefties group!
Quote by cagnius
Yes.

I can elaborate if you want.

I agree.
And please do.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Yes they should. Think about it...

You get put into jail for breaking the law..

Let's say you don't agree with the law..

How can you vote to get the law changed if you can't vote?

It seems like destroying the democratic process and silencing opposition to the current laws, to a small degree

Quote by maroon5mustdie
Not if they're convicted felons. It's the law, genius.

That's not what he was asking, genius. Obviously that's the law, but his question is whether or not that's the way it should be. You can't just assume the law is always just and fair.
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Sep 23, 2007,
Yeah, they have opinions..
which consist of breaking the law.
No, they shouldnt be allowed.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
depends. on a whole though, i'd say they shouldn't. it's one more punishment that makes people think twice about breaking the law, and if they broke the law in the first place, seems like they don't give a crap about it anyways. and plus, why should they be able to decide something that has no effect on them if there in jail?
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by bobby_splax
depends. on a whole though, i'd say they shouldn't. it's one more punishment that makes people think twice about breaking the law, and if they broke the law in the first place, seems like they don't give a crap about it anyways. and plus, why should they be able to decide something that has no effect on them if there in jail?

What if they want to vote on a new sheriff? Or what if they want to vote for somebody that will get whatever crime they committed to no longer be considered a felony because it's an unfair punishment for the crime? What if they want to vote on somebody that will make life better for their family?
Quote by RockThe40oz
What if they want to vote on a new sheriff? Or what if they want to vote for somebody that will get whatever crime they committed to no longer be considered a felony because it's an unfair punishment for the crime? What if they want to vote on somebody that will make life better for their family?

Wow, people voting on their personal interests and for people who will make their lives better. What a travesty of democracy!

Everybody does that. Why should prisoners be any different?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
yes they are citizens as well. I don't see a reason why they should not be allowed to. (most prisoners probably would not vote anyway.)
sup?
Depends what they're allowed to vote for. Voting for president doesn't matter, because the electoral college decides that, so the only thing they might have an effect on is something more local like a mayor or some other form of representative. I'm kind of in between on this, but I voted yes because I'm a lefty.
I don't need a sig....
Quote by Meths
Wow, people voting on their personal interests and for people who will make their lives better. What a travesty of democracy!

Everybody does that. Why should prisoners be any different?

Ummm.. that's exactly what I was saying...

He said it didn't make sense for them to vote on things that didn't affect them, and I said that there's a lot they can vote on that does affect them...
Yes they should, and it has nothing to do with being left or right winged in view; I hate it when people try to simplify moral and phylosophical issues into a system of polar oposites! There are more options than Democrat and Republican ok?!

They're still citizens, and have the right to have their rights upheld and opinions expressed, they are encarcerated not to be silenced but for the protection of others; and I think if politics could get more insight from the underpriviledged and the people who've seen the darkside of mankind I think justice could be better served and social disparity reduced.
Last edited by MiG_853 at Sep 23, 2007,
If the government starts imprisoning people for stupid things then it's only fair that the prisoners can object by voting.
This is a horrible arguement. First of all NO they shouldn't be allowed to vote because they commited a crime. Second, even if they could, they wouldn't have near enough knowledge of the candidates to make an educated vote, so you would stuff like a bunch of people who vote for Obama on the sole fact that he is black, or a bunch of women inmates voting for Clinton because she is a woman, and a bunch more people that vote just to be voting, which ruins the country. Third, even if they could vote, 95% of them wouldn't give a **** anyway. Only 13% of the population votes, a tiny % of that is educated voters, what makes you think prisoners are any different?
Quote by Zodiax04
This is a horrible arguement. First of all NO they shouldn't be allowed to vote because they commited a crime. Second, even if they could, they wouldn't have near enough knowledge of the candidates to make an educated vote, so you would have a bunch of people who vote just to be voting, which ruins the country. Third, even if they could vote, 95% of them wouldn't give a **** anyway. Only 13% of the population votes, a tiny % of that is educated voters, what makes you think prisoners are any different?

So your argument is because there stupid and uneducated they shouldnt be allowed to vote?
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by preludetowar
So your argument is because there stupid and uneducated they shouldnt be allowed to vote?

No. They don't live in normal society, so therefore usually have no idea what is going on in world outside the prison.
^Not true. They're not completely locked off from the outside world you know.

Quote by RockThe40oz
Ummm.. that's exactly what I was saying...

He said it didn't make sense for them to vote on things that didn't affect them, and I said that there's a lot they can vote on that does affect them...

Oh. Oops. I thought you were giving those as reasons for why they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Quote by Zodiax04
This is a horrible arguement. First of all NO they shouldn't be allowed to vote because they commited a crime. Second, even if they could, they wouldn't have near enough knowledge of the candidates to make an educated vote, so you would stuff like a bunch of people who vote for Obama on the sole fact that he is black, or a bunch of women inmates voting for Clinton because she is a woman, and a bunch more people that vote just to be voting, which ruins the country. Third, even if they could vote, 95% of them wouldn't give a **** anyway. Only 13% of the population votes, a tiny % of that is educated voters, what makes you think prisoners are any different?

You can't deny someone the right to vote on the basis of their lack of education.

Oscar Wilde
Why shouldn't they? Just because they broke the law doesn't mean they don't have political stances. In a democracy, everbody should be allowed to vote, regardless of race, sexuality or any kind of background. That's what democracy is all about.

If someone's going to decide who can vote and who can't, it's not a democracy anymore in my eyes.
Quote by Zodiax04
No. They don't live in normal society, so therefore usually have no idea what is going on in world outside the prison.

How do you know? some might be highly educated and keep in touch with the outside world.

Just becasue you THINK they dont know whats going on, doesnt nesicarly make it true, and that doesnt justify them not being able to vote.
Quote by Meths

I think only those who are in jail for a not to serious fellony should be allowed to vote, so no rapists or murderers
Prisoners on remand, yes. Otherwise, the victims of their crime should get to vote for them by proxy.
Quote by M0ly
I think only those who are in jail for a not to serious fellony should be allowed to vote, so no rapists or murderers

Why not?
Quote by Meths
^Not true. They're not completely locked off from the outside world you know.

Oh. Oops. I thought you were giving those as reasons for why they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

You can't deny someone the right to vote on the basis of their lack of education.

I didn't say they shouldn't be able to vote because of their lack of education. I said we would have a bunch of people who have no idea who the candidates are, or what they plan on doing, voting for people soloely on their race/backgrounds/religion/gender/etc. Who wants a president that was elected by people who have little if no idea what is going on?
Maybe prisoners who are in low security facilities and have more of a connection to the outside world then let's say a maximum security penitentiary should be allowed to vote.
I don't need a sig....