Hey, I'm wanting to record guitar tracks but I have a question about mics. Is it possible to get a good sound out of a 'vocal' mic for distorted guitar? If so, I know the SM58 is the most popular mic for around $100, but what are everyones thoughts on the Sennheiser e835?
From my experience, most mics aren't very good at recording electric guitars, and it's best to plug it straight in. The sennheiser is pretty good is you really need a vocal mic to do the job.
I would definitely mic the amp as opposed to directly plugging in. Plugging in leads to a much more artificial sound and a lot of additional noise. Plus, a lot of amps don't have output jacks, so it's better to use the amp that you're comfortable with and get the exact sound you want by miking it, as opposed to plugging in without the amp and losing that sound.

But on to the mics. The 58 and 835 appear to be very comparable on their basic specs. Their frequency response charts look about the same with the 835 having a little bit more in the 7-8 kHz range. That doesn't necessarily mean it's better, but it's promising. On the other hand, the reviews on Musician's Friend lead me to believe that the 835 is preferred by some people, but seems to be more difficult to use. Whereas the 58 has a great sound that engineers across the country agree with, and is very easy to use for beginners.

Those are just my observations, I have the 58 and love it and would recommend it to anyone, but the 835 doesn't look bad. Sennheiser's a great brand and the mic looks decent, it's just an unknown in my opinion.
Personally I would recommend against the 835 as within the price range you have two better guitar mics in the SM57 and the Sennheiser e609. One of the venues I run live sound at has an e835 as well as SM58's and the SM58's blow it out of the water, for vocals, guitar - anything. However many people also love the sound of the e609's on electric guitar so I will throw them out as well.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Last edited by thrice_removed at Sep 23, 2007,
just to make sure that Aaron understands, the sm57 and 58 are the same mic with a different windscreen. the 58 is worth the extra ten dollars or so because the windscreen is very good for vocals and can be removed for miking a guitar to give you essentially a 57. (you may know that but I just wanted to get that out)

and to thrice: not that i'm looking to purchase anything new any time soon, but how do you like the 609's on sounds other than guitar? like vocals or percussion instruments?
I have not used an e609 in quite a while, but would not recommend for vocals based on the frequency spectrum being more geared towards mid heavy applications like guitars. It handles wonderfully on many instruments, but I don't think it is versatile enough to handle the extremely dynamic human voice.

Also just a note. The SM57 and SM58 are slightly different mics in that they actually have slightly different capsules that only differ lightly in the highend with the frequency spectrum on an SM58 being slightly hyped making it sound slightly clearer for things like vox. But yeah - essentially the same mic with one having a windscreen and the other not having it.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

So if I had the 58, should I take the windscreen off ? or will that not change how it sounds at all?
actually an engineer that i know called shure and asked them what the difference is and they said that they have the same capsule and everything, it's just the windscreen.
although the frequency response charts do look different. but i guess the windscreen must make a difference.
Could be, I was just citing the Shure website, the frequency chart, and what my ears tell me. But then again my ears do not detect much of a difference at all - it is only very minimal.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

yeah, i do like to take my windscreen off when i'm miking anything other than vocals. It seems to record my amp better with it off.
Quote by Aaron.C
Hey, I'm wanting to record guitar tracks but I have a question about mics. Is it possible to get a good sound out of a 'vocal' mic for distorted guitar? If so, I know the SM58 is the most popular mic for around $100, but what are everyones thoughts on the Sennheiser e835?

I left this for another thread but seems valuable here.

Sound on Sound has a great article in their August, 2007 edition.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/articles/guitaramprecording.htm
Quote by ShreddyVanhalen
From my experience, most mics aren't very good at recording electric guitars, and it's best to plug it straight in.

Pardon me?

Amplitube might be pretty, but if you want quality, you're better off recording a chainsaw or suchlike nondescript power tool.

There are very few microphones that cannot make a good guitar track when used standalone.