i'm looking to buy an overdrive pedal and i'm probably gonna buy a tubescreamer of some sort. with all the mods robert keeley does to a TS808, does it still sound like one ? could it still nail the SRV tone together with a strat and fender tube amp, but just sound even better ? and does the mod actually sound better ??

Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
i'm looking to buy an overdrive pedal and i'm probably gonna buy a tubescreamer of some sort. with all the mods robert keeley does to a TS808, does it still sound like one ? could it still nail the SRV tone together with a strat and fender tube amp, but just sound even better ? or could i nail the SRV sound with a stock ibanez better ?

i think a stock ibanez tubescreamer would nail it better as im pretty sure he used one, it was that or a ts9.
it doesn't change the overall voicing of the pedal, most of the mods are replacing individual bulk cheap parts with high quality parts in their place. If the stock will nail it, a Keeley one will too. A few tweeks for the sound, but mostly just better parts, resulting in more clarity, fuller lowend, less harsh highs, more gain, and less noise. If you are at all handy with a soldering iron, most of the mods are online. A guy posted the mods in another thread not too long ago if you do a search.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i have tried the keeley ts 808 and can say it sounds very much like srv even abit too much.I let it go. Stupidly.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
combined with a blues deluxe, it might be too fat sounding. blues deluxe has lots of mids, and the tubescreamer adds more mids. SRV tone is bass + treble - mids. not so scooped, but he doesn't have a frowning curve. i have a tubescreamer clone with most of the Keeley Mods, and it's difficult to get the SRV tone from my blues jr. If you have a blackface, those will shine with a tubescreamer. not a blues deluxe in my opinion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hmmm...I have to disagree with EC. To me, SRV tone is easier to nail with the stock pedal, and that's using both my Fender HRD and Mesa Roadster (channel 2, fat, 50 watt, squishy setting). The Keeley mods seem to pull a lot of mid range out of the pedal, which is the key to tube screamer tone. None of Stevie's screamers were modded like that. There's basically a single capacitor that acts as the mid/bass boost/cut cap, and that single component really makes a ton of difference in the pedal (the other Keeley mods mainly concentrate on resistor changes for various reasons, such as a higher impedence input for brighter tone). I'd say get handy with the soldering iron and swap values on that cap if the stock pedal doesn't thrill you. No offense to Mr. Keeley, but I'm not really a big fan of the modifications in his package. They seem to take a lot of push out of the pedal.
Don't expect a pedal to 'nail' a tone that came from thousands of dollars of high end amps etc. Strat + Fender clean + Tubescreamer = same flavour of 'Texas' tone.

The Keeley Tubescreamer still sounds like a Tubescreamer but with the frequencies balanced better, a more open tone, more gain and the ability to be more clean (which is nice).

I think Keeley's Pedals are great - His work has a top reputation for a reason. I always promote his work.
Phish Phan
Dead Head
moe. ron.
Phil's Friend
Well, let me correct. The More/Less mod (changing R106 from 51k to 20k) and the More Gain mod (changing R104 from 4.7k to 2.4k) really helps increase the range of the pedal. I like how clean the pedal can get with these mods, and the added range in the gain control is certainly a plus when you need some grind in your rhythm. The tone control changes (changing the tone to a B2K pot and changing C105 and C106 to .18uF Tantalum caps) I have mixed feelings about. I like the increased range in the tone control, but it takes something away from the pedal to me. The change in C103 is a little too extreme for me. I'd probably go with a medium value...something like .22uF if I changed anything.
Quote by TwoString
Well, let me correct. The More/Less mod (changing R106 from 51k to 20k) and the More Gain mod (changing R104 from 4.7k to 2.4k) really helps increase the range of the pedal. I like how clean the pedal can get with these mods, and the added range in the gain control is certainly a plus when you need some grind in your rhythm. The tone control changes (changing the tone to a B2K pot and changing C105 and C106 to .18uF Tantalum caps) I have mixed feelings about. I like the increased range in the tone control, but it takes something away from the pedal to me. The change in C103 is a little too extreme for me. I'd probably go with a medium value...something like .22uF if I changed anything.
The B2K tonepot apparently really thins out the sound, and he claims the .18uF Tantalums just sweeten the range a little, I think the tone pot is the major problem....

And I thought he changed C3 to a .22uF cap? I think you have to increase it by x2 for every halving of R4 to maintain the original tone, but when the cap is changed without a resistor change it increases bass and takes a bit of mids out. So if it starts off as a .047uF, he doubled it for the gain resistor and then doubled again for a bit more bass.

Not having a go or anything
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ECistheBest
combined with a blues deluxe, it might be too fat sounding. blues deluxe has lots of mids, and the tubescreamer adds more mids. SRV tone is bass + treble - mids. not so scooped, but he doesn't have a frowning curve. i have a tubescreamer clone with most of the Keeley Mods, and it's difficult to get the SRV tone from my blues jr. If you have a blackface, those will shine with a tubescreamer. not a blues deluxe in my opinion.

first of all, thanks for the replies everyone !

couldn't i simply turn my mids down
i don't get why people always say about amps, 'it's too bassy' or 'it's way too mid-rangy'
... can't you simply turn down the bass or mids then ???
the knobs don't do too significant of an effect. and the frequency range of a typical fender tweed nowdays won't do the mid cut for emulating the blackface sound...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
the knobs don't do too significant of an effect. and the frequency range of a typical fender tweed nowdays won't do the mid cut for emulating the blackface sound...

ah ok. but i believe the keeley is more balanced out... (less mids, more bass/treble)
or would the keeley ts808 also be too fat sounding ?
Quote by MrCarrot
The B2K tonepot apparently really thins out the sound, and he claims the .18uF Tantalums just sweeten the range a little, I think the tone pot is the major problem....

And I thought he changed C3 to a .22uF cap? I think you have to increase it by x2 for every halving of R4 to maintain the original tone, but when the cap is changed without a resistor change it increases bass and takes a bit of mids out. So if it starts off as a .047uF, he doubled it for the gain resistor and then doubled again for a bit more bass.

Not having a go or anything

Not at all...you're one of the few I respect 'round here

I've seen a .22 in many other mods, but everything I've read about the keeley shows .1uF. If anyone knows differently, correct me and provide a link to where you found the info.
^i told him bout that. apparently, if you 'half' the value of the distortion resistor, you have to 'double' the bass enhancing cap to preserve the same tone.

i read it here:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm
it's the anatomy of a Tube Screamer.

it's in the mods section.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ The keeley one has a .1uF bass cap I believe, and they use True Bypass switching, a different chip and a different tone section too. So what you get overall is a slightly sweeter-taper tone control, a smoother and slightly better sounding chip, True Bypass, a slightly clearer sound from the cap changes, more gain, less gain, but you still keep the Screamer tone.

Simply:
Slightly clearer, more hifi tone but still retains what a Tubescreamer should sound like.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ The keeley one has a .1uF bass cap I believe, and they use True Bypass switching, a different chip and a different tone section too. So what you get overall is a slightly sweeter-taper tone control, a smoother and slightly better sounding chip, True Bypass, a slightly clearer sound from the cap changes, more gain, less gain, but you still keep the Screamer tone.

Simply:
Slightly clearer, more hifi tone but still retains what a Tubescreamer should sound like.

so the keeley isn't more balanced out still gives that huge mid-hump ?
Well the mid-hump is the Tubescreamer tone. If you took that out it then wouldn't be recognisable as one. Just has a more hifi tone overall and true bypass.
ah ok thanks !

i think i got a problem now
i know i want the tubescreamer tone but they don't go well with my BD, what should i get now !?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 25, 2007,
yea if you don't want the mid hump, go look for a bass-treble booster, or just a clean boost pedal.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Barber LTD if your looking for a lower gain

LTD SR if you dont want any excess mid-hump.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45