Yea.. I REALLY suck at setting goals for myself, in part because if I set them myself it doens't feel like they're worth reaching =) I won't even try to guess what kind of psychological thing one could get out of that...

Anyhoo some info: Been playing acoustic a little over year and got electric few months ago. I guess my skill is something between bad and mediocre So that enter the sandman is easy (not the solo ) but beyond the realms of death solo (atleast the beginning) is a lil too fast

And the reason for these goals... Well atm I got ESP M-100FM, microcube + zoom 606 which I don't really use and I would feel bad about upgrading my equipment if I still played like **** You know why buy 2k guitar or new amp when you still play as bad as when you got them?

So if you people kindly would suggest set me some goals, songs to learn etc. I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and I don't know theory for **** -_- I blame local librarys lack of books and my own laziness of searching online. But I'd really like to. I kinda feel like blind man who can walk to store and shopping mall just because he has memorized the route if you know what I mean.
Last edited by fps100 at Sep 23, 2007,
what are some more songs you can play? what techniques can you do? style of music you prefer?
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
goal #1: stop using emoticons

goal #2: practice enough that you no longer suck
Asking us to set goals for you is like asking a stranger on the street to buy your clothes. We don't know what style you like, how "good" (i put good in quotes because it's relative) you are, and so forth. So, give us some specific goals. What would you like to obtain as a player? Not just to "become good", but specific things.
play 16th notes at 250 bpm =]
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin
You need to find out exactly why you're "mediocre" and practice on what's holding you back.

But we'd need more information to know that.
What have you been practicing?
Have you ever taken lessons/suscribed to a guitar magazine? You can learn lots of your theory from that. The problem with learning theory by searching online is you won't always get everything in the right order. You could end up trying to learn the CAGED form before learning barre chords.
Well I can play nothing else matters without too many problems. I've been practising a lot of songs but none of them fully so... And I like to play anything be it heavy metal or country or anything.

I think my overall hand coordination, atleast infingerpicking is fair. I'm not very fast player, at certain speed the coordination breaks. Haven't taken lessons or subscribed to mag. Got a friend tho who is more experienced player than I. I don't think he ever took any lessons but damn his playing is beautiful to watch, looks like his fingers are just floating around on neck.

Atm I've been playing Gears Of War and some Working Man.

Quote by Fenderboy-'06
learn the intro to satch boogie

I got the tab, seems like a fine song to practice to. It's not impossibly hard but challenging enough so one can improve while practicing it.

EDIT: Now that I got into editing... At my current life situation I really don't have time for guitar lessons. Studuying, other hobbies, staying in a shape... Maybe I'm underestimating effect of teacher, but how much would one lesson in a week do?
Last edited by fps100 at Sep 24, 2007,
A magazine would be cheaper and more effective if you're swamped on time. I was taking lessons, but I had to quit because I ran out of time. Of course if I hadn't of taken lessons, most of the lessons in the magazine would make no sense to me.

I'm not self-taught, so I don't really know how it would work for someone with no lessons.

Edit: Perhaps you could work on some chops to improve strength and speed? And it wouldn't hurt to practice alternate picking.
Quote by andersoncouncil
A magazine would be cheaper and more effective if you're swamped on time. I was taking lessons, but I had to quit because I ran out of time. Of course if I hadn't of taken lessons, most of the lessons in the magazine would make no sense to me.

I'm not self-taught, so I don't really know how it would work for someone with no lessons.

Edit: Perhaps you could work on some chops to improve strength and speed? And it wouldn't hurt to practice alternate picking.

Yea speed and alternate picking is what I got to practice. After a while I could play satch boogie intro at 50% speed so thats what I need more. And obviosly to be able to play faster one needs better accury I guess so I could say accuray = speed? Well not if you're just alternagin between two notes with hammer ons and pull offs -_-

Also please define "work on some chops". I'm not native speaker so I didn't really understand what that meant.
i think my arguement is "if you don't strive towards your own goals on something as personal as playing guitar, then why the hell would you listen to random people on a website, MUCH LESS strive towards the goals they set for you"
Quote by z4twenny
i think my arguement is "if you don't strive towards your own goals on something as personal as playing guitar, then why the hell would you listen to random people on a website, MUCH LESS strive towards the goals they set for you"

agreed. plus learning to stick to your own goals will help you in other areas.
Quote by Spamwise
agreed. plus learning to stick to your own goals will help you in other areas.

Mnyea I guess you have point. I just for some reason find it hard to set goals for myself when it comes to guitar. Don't have that problem with other things for some reason. So maybe I was rather seeking means to reach and determine what to set as my goals.
I feel like a blind man who can walk to store and shopping mall just because he has memorized the route

Yeah, but cars are running up and down the street he has to cross, kids are all over the place on bicycles, dogs running around loose, other people all over the mall, and let's suppose just this morning the usual door is out of commission...You can see all that, he's still accomplishing something.

Let's back up here. I'm not familiar with any of the songs you named, I guess this old fart's just not a metalhead, but I think one of he best things you can do is crawl, you gotta do that before you can walk. Pick up some simple songs, easy to play. Get them down so you can literally play them with your eyes closed. This is to develop a solid feel for the neck, smooth and quick chord changes, ability to move your hand up 6 or 8 frets if needed quick enough to smoothly go from one chord to the next, get the picture? Develop the overall ability to PLAY the thing, not just play a bit of a song here and there, and do it without looking.

I keep telling people and I'm not sure if they pay attention or not, but I promise you absolutely will improve if you practice in total darkness, so you cannot see your hand 6 inches in front of your face. I did it for 2 years, mostly simple stuff. The one tough one was Peter Frampton's Penny for Your Thoughts.

But you want to be able to just play, no matter what the song, at least simple stuff, without looking at your fingers. A lot of the time you can't see well onstage anyway, so you have to be able to play in at least semi dark for the times either it's too dark on stage entirely or the lights are right in your eyes.

Your goals are your issue, I can't set them for you. But practice for a month or so in the dark and tell me you haven't improved at least a little. But you'll have to go for simple stuff, until you really learn your way around the neck of a guitar.

You have an acoustic, you said anything from country to metal right? OK, Rocky Raccoon. Beatles White album. Don't have to worry about the vocals if you're not a singer, just the chords. You want smooth, quick chord changes, even rhythym and volume, good intonation and steady tempo. All without looking.

Wildwood Flower.
Proud Mary
Your Cheatin Heart
City of new Orleans (Arlo Guthrie or Willie Nelson version, both are alomst the same) is great because it's just simple strumming but a whole bunch of chords.

Then move up to the tougher songs.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I think your problem is not in your inability to set goals, your laziness, or lack of supposed skill. I think your problem here is just the lack of focus, need or want, the basic drive to play.

I personally have been struggling to progress with guitar for around a year now, and one night I finally came to facing my issue and realised why it has been so hard to play and progress. The cause for me, was I had no reason, no clear goals, no competition (based against my friend how plays guitar, though I know competing is useless now) because I had already achieved my original goals.

I sorted out why I didn't play, what I wanted out of my music, and was able to easily conclude where I should be heading. (Not trying to sound better than anyone, it's a personal thing.)

I recommend doing the same, and then you will hopefully come to reason.

EDIT: There is absolutely no point practising without reason, it just leads to wasted time.
Last edited by Codims at Sep 29, 2007,