Hi, I'm looking for some equipment for a simple bedroom recording setup. I know that I'm getting a Shure SM57 for one of the mics but I would like another one that would be good for vocals and an overhead for drums, I don't want something expensive so anything over £100 is too much. I would also like a fairly cheap recording interface. £200 is my limit. I'd like to get both from so any recommendations of products on this site are greatly appreciated.
The E606 is great for the price. Used it at college for vocals and overheads. Check it. Amazing quality for the price.

Linkage
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by alliwant
The E606 is great for the price. Used it at college for vocals and overheads. Check it. Amazing quality for the price.

Linkage

Looks good. Do you have any clips?
I don't sorry...as I said I don't own one, but I've used one on my Sound Engineering course. The lecturer said that it was one of his favourites, considering the price. Oh wait...just realised I've recommended you a dynamic mic...for vocals and overheads, it should be a condenser. But that mic did pretty well. I'll look for condensers.

EDIT: I found one that I think will suit your needs.
MXL 2006
Again, I have no soundclips of it but at college, MXL were named as a good quality brand across the board for condensers. But it does require phantom power so we'll have to see if there's a recording thing that has phantom power for under £200...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

Last edited by alliwant at Sep 23, 2007,
Thanks, looks good. Now for a mixer/interface . I had my eye on an alesis multimix firewire for a while but they're pricey and I heard that there are compatibility issues with pcs.
Last edited by david_safc at Sep 23, 2007,
Sorry, I'm not big on interfaces...I hope I've been a bit of help...hopefully someone more experienced in this stuff will come along and set you right. BrianApocalypse and Af_the_Fragile are the two that have helped me most. But join the SEES (Sound Engineers Elite Soceity) group if you haven't already. Lots of helpful stuff there.
Quote by bjoern_swe

I saw a link to a website once on here before where you went through a survey for specs for a sound card and at the end there is a list of sound cards filling your spec. Does anyone know this website?
Quote by alliwant
BrianApocalypse and Af_the_Fragile are the two that have helped me most.

Aww, I feel so special. Feel the wuv!
Quote by david_safc
I would also like a fairly cheap recording interface. £200 is my limit.

The MBox 2 Mini is an excellent unit that won't cost you much over your requested budget. However it is truly only for bedroom recording since it really won't allow you to do any real drum recordings (except 1-mic ones which is a pain in the ass to get to sound anywhere deecnt). That said, interfaces that will allow you to record drums means you'll need at least 3-4 mic inputs and the cheapest you can do then is probably the Alesis IO 14 but it will require firewire.
Quote by ebon00
The MBox 2 Mini is an excellent unit that won't cost you much over your requested budget. However it is truly only for bedroom recording since it really won't allow you to do any real drum recordings (except 1-mic ones which is a pain in the ass to get to sound anywhere deecnt). That said, interfaces that will allow you to record drums means you'll need at least 3-4 mic inputs and the cheapest you can do then is probably the Alesis IO 14 but it will require firewire.

That MBox is pretty expensive for only 2 mic inputs. Wouldn't this be a better option for a cheaper price?
In my room right now I have:

my Dell Dimension 4600C with 2GB RAM/ 200GB HDD/ M-Audio Delta 44 Recording Card and the Breakout Box... ART Tube Microphone Preamp... a shure SM58 mic... a few mic stands... some AKG headphones.... my line 6 spider 2 210... boss noise suppressor...

that's pretty much it haha.

well... I use Nuendo 3 as my computer interface and I use Amplitube 2 for tube amp sim/ cab sim.

it works out very nicely. haha.

EDIT:

I was just giving my list for some ideas... but I totally didn't see your 200 limit... hmmmm... M-Audio audiophile sound card maybe?
Last edited by legions at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by david_safc
That MBox is pretty expensive for only 2 mic inputs. Wouldn't this be a better option for a cheaper price?

The MBox 2 Mini only has 1 XLR input but I stand by it as an excellent interface and software combo if we're talking about bedroom recording. (The original post that started this thread is kind of vague as to what kind of recording situation we're actually talking about.) I haven't tried the Onyx Sattelite myself but I know it's been getting good reviews (and the Onyx preamps are good). I'd still say that the Alesis would be a better option if someone is dead set on recording drums. If not, program them using the BFD setup that comes with Ignition Pack.
Yeah its a bedroom setup. I'm leaning towards the Onyx/Alesis at the moment. Drums are only a possibility at the moment, I may just buy the onyx then in the future when drum recording is needed I could buy a small 4 channel mixer.

EDIT: Damn I just realised that the Onyx Doesn't have Midi (or digital optical but I'm not overly bothered about that)

The following is what I need. I will be thankful if anyone could tell me something that suits these needs:
- Firewire
- 2 or more XLR mic inputs (48V phantom)
- 1 MIDI in/out
- 1 Digital optical out
- £200 or less (as cheap as possible)
- Available on here
Last edited by david_safc at Sep 24, 2007,
http://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_midi_usb_1x1.htm
^That will allow you have get midi into your computer for relatively cheap, and thus allowing you to get an interface that doesn't support midi even if you still need midi capabilities.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Ok I've decided on just getting the Onyx, an sm57 and an MXL 2006. If I need MIDI in the future I can always buy a usb midi interface. Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: ^ Wow thats cheap. Thanks.
Last edited by david_safc at Sep 24, 2007,