So throughout my time playing guitar, especially just recently, I've noticed I can spend half the day practicing, and sounding mediocre on some new songs i'm learning.... I go to sleep, then the next day I wake up and begin playing the same songs only 100% better then before... There any studies on guitarists that suggests that they think about the various positioning, techniques and tone of certain songs while they sleep? I know while i'm at work, my left hand is constantly in motion, as if playing air guitar on my side, sometimes it's by my own doing, sometimes it just happens, as if I have a compulsion, I wonder... if i'm actually playing a song when I do this, and if I could only remember what i'm doing, it could have something to do with what my brain was producing just last night, or previous nights?. Could it be said the same for your brain, while you sleep and it's at it's most active stages, that your brain is thinking about the one thing that you enjoy the most, i've never actually had a dream about playing the guitar though, ya know, the type that ya remember or what have ya... Anyone else experience things like this? * grabs the roach clips *
Its proven that when you learn your brain physically rewires itself. Neurons actually form new connections, and this takes time and reinforcement. Some studies have shown that the mind indeed works on problems while you are sleeping. Sometimes this process is manifested in dreams. The motor neurons and connections to muscles also grow and re-route. In addition you are fully recovered from the last day's efforts to learn. I'm sure these are all factors, plus many more variables.
So it could be said that maybe a guitarist with higher brain activity at night compared to the majority will progress faster ? I wonder if this would work well if you put on a mixed CD of songs you want to learn to help get a better feel for what your trying to play...
You could try it. There is lots of research on learning while asleep. Opinions are very divided as to its effectiveness. I would google sleep learning studies. Give weight to info generated by neurologists and such affiliated with major hospitals and universities and be careful of independent studies.
It's probably like weight lifting. You really gain muscle while you sleep, not work out. So I guess what ever you learned that day or improved on, gets written into your brain better.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by tymatt67
Put down the roach cilp. I repeat, put down the clip.

so since weed kills brain cells does it mess up your ability to learn music as well?
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Screws up short term memory but really makes the guitar sound great (to you.)
Quote by uldhppi

Something tells me you are not 17.

If you are. You impress me. No homo.
High testosterone levels can kill brain cells as well, so i'd imagine since normally weed mellows you out, at least for me, perhaps it comes out even.. I can only hope rite?!
Quote by Pabli7o
Something tells me you are not 17.

If you are. You impress me. No homo.

yeah you could guess by the thing under his name which says "guitar since 1967" :P
but yeah..i'm 16 and i've already got bad short term memory so i don't wanna f up my playing.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by Viper100FM
High testosterone levels can kill brain cells as well, so i'd imagine since normally weed mellows you out, at least for me, perhaps it comes out even.. I can only hope rite?!

Doesn't weed contain amounts of estrogen?

On topic, When I wake up at first I play like sh*t, until I actually wake up about 5 hours later, and my hands aren't all retarded.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Viper100FM

I guess that means I'm really screwed up.
Dunno, was just throwing things out there that i've heard from random people...
My STM is very poor, and hence it takes me forever to improve myself, but I keep at it, praying it will eventually sink into my LTM and not disappear.

As for learning while sleeping, I've found falling asleep listening to music results in it getting stuck in your head all day, but I got my friend to record himself explaining modes (which I didn't understand) and I didn't remember anything during my sleep. It's thought that to some extent you can learn some stuff in your sleep during the stages when you're not entirely asleep, there's still some level of consciousness once you fall asleep and before you wake up, (also when dreams are most likely to occur because your mind is more active even though your body isn't, that's why you always find yourself waking in the middle of a dream)

In short, yes you seemingly can learn in your sleep, but little passes into your LTM if any, also why dreams can be forgotten in seconds.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Last edited by Storm_Bringer_ at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
The biggest problem with weed is that it can rob you of your ambition, specifically as it relates to being motivated to practice(among other things). That has been my experience, anyway.