Why do they suck. I was looking at buying one but everyone said it was crap. Why is that so?
Deacon of the Church of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slash's_#1_fan to join

Member #34 of the John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub
PM IpodInaBottle to join
That is not true. Some licensed FR systems suck, because they are poor quality.

Edit: beaten like a brat
doesnt everyone says the edge 3 (which is a floyd rose) suck? but OFRs (original floyd roses) are supposed to own, but can be a bitch to tune and restring

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
because you have to rebalance them everytime you have to down tune and when u do a unison bend up high it dont work all the strings go out of tune.
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Quote by an epic mistake
doesnt everyone says the edge 3 (which is a floyd rose) suck? but OFRs (original floyd roses) are supposed to own, but can be a bitch to tune and restring

Edge III is one of the poorer quality locking trems that Ibanez makes. The Edge Pro, however is awesome, and considered by many to be superior to the OFR (citation needed)
they are a pain in the ass to tune up, but I just got a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR and its amazing, I couldn't be happier with it.
theyre amazing, they probably suck if (as someone already said) they are a cheap licensed one , or are setup incorrectly
Quote by kyrreca
Edge III is one of the poorer quality locking trems that Ibanez makes. The Edge Pro, however is awesome, and considered by many to be superior to the OFR (citation needed)

oh its not an actual floyd rose? well then i stand corrected there. thank you.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
if you're going to use it, an OFR or quality copy (e.g. gotoh or schaller, ibanez edge etc. (not edge III or lo-trs)) is awesome fun.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gotoh makes the Edge Pro for Ibanez, I think... And yeah, OFR, Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro and Schaller are some of the best out there, while Lo-TRS, Edge II, Edge III and Edge Pro II are shite.
i really like my jackson LFR, the only thing i don't like is the whammy bar tends to loosen, but i just screw it back in tight
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
i really like my jackson LFR, the only thing i don't like is the whammy bar tends to loosen, but i just screw it back in tight

yeh, i've heard good things about the Jackson floyd roses in all of the reviews i've read...
I prefer the ZR trem.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
Quote by heminder
yeh, i've heard good things about the Jackson floyd roses in all of the reviews i've read...

JT6 = Good
JT590 (Made by Schaller) = Basically an OFR
Current Pro and MG Series JT580, 1991 - 1994 JT580, Takeuchi JT-580 = Good
1996-2005(Est.) JT580, Current X and JS Series JT580 = Mediocre
JT500 = Decent
JT570 = Singe Locking, Complete Junk

JT6 = Charvel Model Series
JT590 = Various Higher End Jacksons and Charvels, Top of the line Jackson Professionals
JT580 ('91 - '95) = Most Japanese Charvels, Most Jackson Professionals
JT570 ('91 - '95) = Used on Charvel 275, and a few other cheap Charvels
JT580 Takeuchi - (Around '92 - '95) = Used mainly on the CX series and other later Charvels
JT500 = Jackson Performer and early Jackson X Series
JT580 ('96 - Current) = Most Import Jacksons until around 2005 Still used on current JS and X series
JT580 ('05 - Current) = Upgraded metal base plates. Used on all Pro and MG series Jacksons from 2005 until today.

My run down of them

EDIT: I should add I find them great. I agree most people who complain don't know what they're doing with them. And yeah, the Edge III is crap. My RG has one and I don't see it lasting two years (if the rest of it even lasts that long)
Last edited by CJRocker at Sep 23, 2007,
Usually when people say "Yeah, Floyd Rose sucks." It's because they probably didn't set it up right. Also, I don't find restringing them to be a pain. Sure, it takes a little while longer to do that, but it's not a pain really. As long as you stay with the same tuning and the same gauge strings, the only extra steps you have is to cut the ball ends off of the strings (which I've seen lots of people just leave on at the tuning pegs) and lock in the strings at the bridge. Then there's LOTS of retuning.
Oh the horror of cutting... You cut anyways (right? You're not some hippie with dangly ends at the headstock, are you?), so one extra snip per string should pose no threat to your tight schedule...
Quote by Pikka Bird
Gotoh makes the Edge Pro for Ibanez, I think... And yeah, OFR, Edge, Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro and Schaller are some of the best out there, while Lo-TRS, Edge II, Edge III and Edge Pro II are shite.

yep, they certainly made the edge and lo-pro, and i assume the edge pro too. You can get gotoh-branded locking trems too (ge1996t or something like that, is the model name) which are sweet. I *think* musicman guitars with locking trems use the same trem- it says "musicman" on them, but they're identical, as far as I can tell, to the gotoh one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Some would argue that any Floyd is bad for your natural resonance and sustain, and there's a lot of back and forth concerning which double locking trem is good and which isn't...which is why I just stick to hardtails.
Pft, don't cut. String it with the ball at the tuner.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Hey, they don't suck... put quite strong springs inside, it is just hard to tune it for the first time. Then it is easy even to restring, unless you use different string gauges. When you restring it do it string-by-string, don't take off all the string, just one, put a new and so on... EeEeEaasyyyy.....
Quote by Pikka Bird
Why?
Why not? It won't slip out, and you don't have to cut the ball. Works like a ghetto locking tuner, if you want.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Setting up has a lot to do with the tuning stability.

My first time with my Carvin 7 string (LFR), it didn't really hold tune very well, and I was concerned seeing as it was an LFR. It took me a loooooong time before it was actually in a stable tuning, and perfectly level.

My second time around, well, I've tuned it once in about a week or so and I've been playing a lot of shred related stuff lately.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
my jackson one rocks hasn't gone out of tune at all and i've turned my strings to spaghetti a few times lol
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by pifty
Why not? It won't slip out, and you don't have to cut the ball. Works like a ghetto locking tuner, if you want.

is it hard to fit through the hole? i might start doing that, cutting stuff is annoying
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
is it hard to fit through the hole? i might start doing that, cutting stuff is annoying

Lol. You don't put the ball end through the hole. You slide the "start" of the string through, lock it in at the bridge, then start winding. The ball end never goes through.
if u change tunings alot, get a tremol no. best invention ever i reckon, well besides guitar
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
if u change tunings alot, get a tremol no. best invention ever i reckon, well besides guitar

Makes string changing easy as hell too.
jralvarez001
Well for all you know he could've died since posting in this thread a decade ago and then you could be. As it happens, though, it's a fairly common issue.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i