Page 1 of 2
i know emo was a movement during the 80s in D.C. with bands like embrace and rites of spring that came from the hardcore punk scene and died in the early 90s...my question is... emo is most of the time defined as emotive/emotional hardcore punk and punk music is defined as anti-establishment rock, but if emo bands sing about emotions, instead of politics and society, why is it considered a sub-genre of punk?? wouldn't singing about emotions take away the whole meaning of punk?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Sep 23, 2007,
it's anti-establishment music. defying norms in both society and music. So hence if the vocals were different from traditional styles in music, then punk bands would do it, leading to hardcore. Because it's emotive doesn't mean it's not punk, as (true) emo (emotive hardcore) still uses the styles of hardcore and is hence punk. Emo like those of fallout boy and My chemical romance, panic at the disco, and that stuff, is not really emo, as there is nothing new or anti-traditional in the music.

(EDIT: the bands mentioned in this post can be labelled as emotional pop-rock - which really has nothing to do with punk at all.)
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
The original emo was a branch of punk. Buts whats called emo now, isn't really.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
^ So true, for the most part anyway. You get more punk out of Manu Chao these days than a lot of self-titled punk bands.

Emo was a branch of punk in theory, but then like most things it's slowly moved away over the years.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by add666
emo isnt punk because, sadly, punk isnt even punk anymore

i'm not talking about emo as in my chemical romance or fall out boy...i'm talking about real emo (embrace, rites of spring, gray matter, ect)
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
i know emo was a movement during the 80s in D.C. with bands wouldn't singing about emotions take away the whole meaning of punk?

uh
wouldn't singing about "The government f'd us over" be emotional?
I consider emo a form of post-hardcore. I don't really know for sure because the only emo band I like is Rites of Spring.

Quote by Hdap101
(EDIT: the bands mentioned in this post can be labelled as emotional pop-rock - which really has nothing to do with punk at all.)

I disagree. I'm pretty sure The Who was a huge influence on The Ramones. Also, I don't like when people label music as "emotional." Any music could be considered emotional. Emotive hardcore was different from other punk/post-hardcore because of more personal themes, not more "emotional" themes.
Last edited by werty22 at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by lordofthefood1
uh
wouldn't singing about "The government f'd us over" be emotional?

when i said emotional i meant personal...talking about your girlfriend, friends, how your day went, that kind of stuff
-Homer Simpson
Quote by werty22
I consider emo a form of post-hardcore. I don't really know for sure because the only emo band I like is Rites of Spring.

I disagree. I'm pretty sure The Who was a huge influence on The Ramones. Also, I don't like when people label music as "emotional." Any music could be considered emotional. Emotive hardcore was different from other punk/post-hardcore because of more personal themes, not more "emotional" themes.

mhm

Quote by blues-guitarist
when i said emotional i meant personal...talking about your girlfriend, friends, how your day went, that kind of stuff

well you said emotional
LOTS of punk bands sing about emotional things. Most of the "original" punk bands had very little to do with politics anyways, MC5 aside. The Velvet Underground, the Stooges, the Dolls (except for a song or two), Heartbreakers, not much to do with politics. It wasn't till the UK kids jumped on that it became so heavily politically charged.

In regards to 80's emo being punk, I'd say it is part of the punk genre. I'd say it's as punk as any other subgenre.
DOWN&OUT
Depends on the band i'd say...
but overall emo is a part of the punk genre.
Just because you can speak does not mean you are an intelligent being
Hmm..this is ironic. I'm actually writing a column about Emo history for UG.
Get off my lawn.
How is that ironic?
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by the_astronaut
How is that ironic?

my thoughts exactly. it seems more like coincidence, not irony
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Hmm..this is ironic. I'm actually writing a column about Emo history for UG.
If you want help with or an opinion on it, email it to me. I'd love to help with it, I was plannig on writing something similar. I guess it's unnecessary if your's is good.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by lordofthefood1

Don't intend to be mean to Hawka here, but it doesn't seem like anything to me at all. It's the pop-punk and emo forum after all...
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by the_astronaut
How is that ironic?

Because I'm looking for info to put in my column, and this thread is seething with it.

Quote by lordofthefood1

That's what it is n00b. I see it as the same thing.

Quote by element4433
If you want help with or an opinion on it, email it to me. I'd love to help with it, I was plannig on writing something similar. I guess it's unnecessary if your's is good.

I'll definitely go to you for advice.

Quote by Andrewbiles
Don't intend to be mean to Hawka here, but it doesn't seem like anything to me at all. It's the pop-punk and emo forum after all...

Meanie.

And the thread discusses Emo music info, which is what I need.
Get off my lawn.
^It's cool Luigi, I thought you knew what irony was.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by HawkaLuigi
Because I'm looking for info to put in my column, and this thread is seething with it.

That's not irony.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Quote by HawkaLuigi

And the thread discusses Emo music info, which is what I need.

Why would you want to write a column on something you know nothing about?

Other then column count I suppose...
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
Quote by HawkaLuigi
I'll definitely go to you for advice.
It's good to know my opinion matters to somebody
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Slut
Why would you want to write a column on something you know nothing about?

Other then column count I suppose...

I do know a lot about Emo music/trends, but hearing it from other people would make it easier to write. More views.

Quote by the_astronaut
That's not irony.

Terrible Mod.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Terrible Mod.

Erm, well as a supposed "writer", you should know what irony is.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Quote by the_astronaut
Erm, well as a supposed "writer", you should know what irony is.

I always had trouble with that one.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Because I'm looking for info to put in my column, and this thread is
That's what it is n00b. I see it as the same thing.

bah how am I noob?

(I am speaker of brand new information and awesomeness!)
btw I love this quote

"Irony deals with opposites; it has nothing to do with coincidence. If two baseball palyers from the same hometown, on different teams, receive the same uniform number, it is not ironic. It is a coincidence. If Barry Bonds attains lifetime statistics identical to his father’s it will not be ironic. It will be a coincidence. Irony is "a state of affairs that is the reverse of what was to be expected; a result opposite to and in mockery of the appropriate result." For instance:

* If a diabetic, on his way to buy insulin, is killed by a runaway truck, he is the victim of an accident. If the truck was delivering sugar, he is the victim of an oddly poetic coincidence. But if the truck was delivering insulin, ah! Then he is the victim of an irony.

* If a Kurd, after surviving bloody battle with Saddam Hussein’s army and a long, difficult escape through the mountains, is crushed and killed by a parachute drop of humanitarian aid, that, my friend, is irony writ large.

* Darryl Stingley, the pro football player, was paralyzed after a brutal hit by Jack Tatum. Now Darryl Stingley’s son plays football, and if the son should become paralyzed while playing, it will not be ironic. It will be coincidental. If Darryl Stingley’s son paralyzes someone else, that will be closer to ironic. If he paralyzes Jack Tatum’s son that will be precisely ironic."
Well, can someone give me a run down on some early Emo bands? I'd appreciate it.
Get off my lawn.
Cap'n Jazz
Sunny Day Real Estate
The Promise Ring
Rites of Spring
The Get Up Kids
Embrace

I'll think of more later
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Paris_In_Flames
^Those aren't early those are mid 90's indie/emo bands
Rites of Spring
Embrace
Gray Matter
Hoover
I thought he meant not modern.

Fire Party
Moss Icon
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Sep 30, 2007,
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Well, can someone give me a run down on some early Emo bands? I'd appreciate it.

Man, if you need to ask that, then there's just no point. Not to be mean, it's cool that you're willing to write an article on it, but if you don't know who Rites Of Spring are then you really need to research more. Listening to the actual music would help as well.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Quote by blues-guitarist
i know emo was a movement during the 80s in D.C. with bands like embrace and rites of spring that came from the hardcore punk scene and died in the early 90s...my question is... emo is most of the time defined as emotive/emotional hardcore punk and punk music is defined as anti-establishment rock, but if emo bands sing about emotions, instead of politics and society, why is it considered a sub-genre of punk?? wouldn't singing about emotions take away the whole meaning of punk?

All i know is that emo had nothing to do with the D.C scene in the 80's when i think of the D.C scene in the 80's i think of minor threat and the bad brains no ****ing emo
Quote by bass4life666
All i know is that emo had nothing to do with the D.C scene in the 80's when i think of the D.C scene in the 80's i think of minor threat and the bad brains no ****ing emo

It had everything to do with the DC scene in the 80s, genius.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Page 1 of 2