Okay, hi I'm 14 but thinking about music college a lot so I was wondering how much experience and how much musical theory do you need to know for like high standard colleges like Berklee.
ug's cool so i guess im cool to

Originally Posted by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Originally Posted by Virgil_Hart05
no...stop being fat
depends. there can be a playing audition, as well as a voice and piano requirement depending on the college. For my auditions, if i met all the performance requirements, i could have technically known no theory, other than the scales/chords, sight reading etc they require to play. it would have been hard to survive but possible i guess.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
First you need to learn how to spell

Second, isn't 14 a little to early to make decisions into college? I mean this is what your going to do for the rest of your life wait until your Junior or Senior year (Unless your a 14 year old Junior, then my bad)
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
i knew wht i wanted to do at 14 or 15.....
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
It's ok, I knew what I wanted to be at like eight. Music schools generally have certain academic standards—G.P.A., ACT/SAT minimum requirements. I know for Julliard you have to have at least a 18 on the ACT. That isn't an incredible score, but it's definitely not an incredibly easy score to get.

You have to remember that the high caliber conservatories are looking for the best—they don't want just anyone off the street who can play a few powerchords, obviously. You need to be a fairly competent sight reader, some level piano competency, a good ear (ear training—hearing chords, writing down melodies, intervals—that sort of thing). All of these are pretty basic requirements that really, every musician should have a pretty good handle on.

Alas, Berklee isn't exactly the most high caliber musical conservatory. It isn't exactly what I would call high standard.. from what I hear from friends who attend there, for every great musician there, you have 15 others who give the rest a bad name.

That isn't to say that it's not an excellent musical education; it definitely is, it just isn't Oberlin or the New England Conservatory of Music.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by Johnljones7443
^You're half way back to being 'banninated' again.

haha burnn

But if you wanna make it to musical school its best to start now, not when your a junior or a senior. Take some music/ guitar? classes. or whatever it is you have talent in. Im also pretty sure your going to need some musical theory...maybe http://www.musictheory.net/

EDIT---
I took the ACT test last year as a soph, kinda like a practice and i scored a 21 lol. but some of that test was insanely hard.
Take everything you can get related to music, and LEARN IT...don't just go through the motions. Learn to play every instrument you can get your hands on. To major in music you have to master at least one, and play two or three well. Does your school have a jazz band? Join it. Band class, marching rehearsal, sectional rehearsals, football games, band festivals, parades, you name it, BE THERE. On time, know your music and be there. Yes I'm talking trumpet or sax or tuba or drums or whatever in school band. You don't get into higher level music schools on just guitar. Music theory yes, you'll need it. Classical guitar might be a good idea if you plan to keep guitar as a primary instrument. You'll have to master it and I'd bet classical will be required, although not necessarily as a style you master. Learn to play and adapt to different styles - jazz, blues, rock, classical, orchestra, you name it. You'll probably be playing it sometime or other.

This is what I wanted when I was your age or younger. I did all that and wasn't able, in the end, to complete it, it gets personal from there... When I finished high school I had been in the jazz band 3 years, played every instrument in the band room, at least a little, could write a score, had tried conducting, missed exactly one show the entire time, (and it cost me) played in a rock band outside school, soloed in jazz band, everything I could do to be a better musician. It wasn't in the cards, I won't go into the personal end of it.

But that's the kind of musical background you want to get into music schools of that caliber.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Wow. I was planning on going to school for music, but after reading this I should probably stick to flipping burgers.
When it comes to multiple instruments, as a guitar player, taking on bass and piano as second and third instruments is good.

Bass is actually a good way to get into classical guitar, as both are based off fingerstyle.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
If you want to go to a school of music, and one of the better ones, I suggest you get a teacher, one whos been there, preferrebly one who has at least 2 majors in music. (Or a doctorate). I've had two teachers describe to me what a major in performance is like. It took almost an entire hour for both to describe it fully, so I'll give you a short rundown on the key points.

You must be able to transcribe music from ear, away from your instrument.

You must be able to read music on, or nearly at, the technical level in which you can play.

You will be studying mostly classical music at a school of music. One of my teachers who majored in piano performance and arrangement at University of North Texas (one of the best jazz schools in the world) said that he even studied mostly classical there.

You must obviously meet the audition requirements, which will pretty much translate into technical ability and performance practice (Playing Bach like Bach and playing Chopin like Chopin, not Bach like Chopin and Chopin like Bach etc.). I am unsure of what the general requirements are for guitar studies, but in piano (for the better schools) it requires one virtuouso etude, some bach fugues and usually an entire sonata by one of the German B's or Mozart. It's obviously different for each instrument, but I think you can gather the right idea of what sort of playing level is needed. I suggest you look at the website of the school that you want to go to for the audition information.

You'll also want to be comfortable with music theory. If you can take a music theory AP class, than do it.
hehe...yeah it's a lot, but that's the kind of person they look for. If you're just a sax player in the school band, that's not good enough. They'll accept someone who is just a good flute player or whatever, but you'd better be really good, and probably would want some chorus in there too. What they look for is career musicians. People who have already shown more than a passing interest in a wide scope of musical areas. People who intend to be school band directors or players with the New York Philharmonic. Or the conductor of it. Your average neighborhood guitar player is not enough.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...