hey all,

i read somewhere that each mode has its own particular chord / chords to play underneath it. that is to say, chords which sound better, or more suited, under the mode that is being played. clearly, under the ionian mode we play the major or minor chord, and i think that under mixolydian its 7 chords. can anyone give me a full list?

cheers
um just figure it out

like you use the intervals that change in the scale

for example

dorian has a flat 3rd and 7th

so it is a minor seventh chord
dude.......
These are the chords that are considered 'characteristic' chords of each mode of the major scale. Did you want them for other scales aswell?

Ionian: Δ
Dorian: -7
Phrygian: susb9
Lydian: Δ#11
Mixolydian: sus
Aeolian: -7b13
Locrian: ø
Quote by Johnljones7443
Ionian: Δ
Dorian: -7
Phrygian: susb9
Lydian: Δ#11
Mixolydian: sus
Aeolian: -7b13
Nice list but there are so many other chords that can be used, although by the TS response I think its exactly what he is looking for. I think those chords are usually used in jazz, right?
Heres another list with commonly used chords. Although the chords johnl wrote down are more charateristic to the modes, these chords also fit.

Ionian: Major, Suspeded2, Suspended4, Δ
Dorian: Minor, Suspeded2, Suspended4, -7
Phrygian:Minor, -7, Suspended4, susb9
Lydian: Major, Δ, Suspeded2, Δ#11
Mixolydian: major, 7, Suspeded2, Suspended4,
Aeolian: minor, -7, Suspeded2, Suspended4, -7b13
Locrian: dim, Suspended4*, ø

*I wouldn't normally use a suspended 4 under the locrian mode. It works, as all the notes in the suspended 4 fit in the locrian mode, but it wouldn't sound to good.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
What's the triangle mean? *shy*

I'm well versed in the ways of theory, just don't get the symbols.

Well, I do, just not the triangle, it be meaning?

Thanks.

Cheers -
Daisy
Gore AND Core; unite!
Quote by Daisy_Ramirez_
What's the triangle mean? *shy*
Don't be. Only people who want to get over technical use it. Its the same as a maj7 or major 7 (1-3-5-7).
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Ah, makes sense now.

Thanks for that!

I like to use terminology correctly, but before MT, I'd not heard of this triangle.

Given, I'm self-taught and such.

Oh well.

Thanks man. I like you. =]

Cheers -
Daisy
Gore AND Core; unite!
another helpful point... this won't apply all the time, but the best way to bring out the "feel" of a mode is to not change chords too much when you're playing a mode. Modes are most recognizable over one or two-chord grooves, and if you have some 10-chord-long progression with a modal scale over it, it may still sound nice, but it may not sound very modal.

take me with a grain of salt, but all i'm trying to say is that simpler is often better, even when using complex modal theory.
Quote by Johnljones7443

The hell is that?

When you say a chord is "characteristic" to a mode, is it just a chord that utilizes more of the mode's notes than any other chord type?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Instrumetal
The hell is that?

When you say a chord is "characteristic" to a mode, is it just a chord that utilizes more of the mode's notes than any other chord type?

i'd say the chord that is characteristic is a chord that uses the defining degrees of the mode with respect to the major scale.

ie anything # or b
Quote by Instrumetal
The hell is that?

A symbol used for a half diminished chord. e.g. Cm7b5 = Cø.
Modes are just chords of the key plus the other notes from the scale.

Like, D minor chord (as the ii of C) plus the other notes from the C key.
Ionian: Major, Suspeded2, Suspended4, Δ
Dorian: Minor, Suspeded2, Suspended4, -7
Phrygian:Minor, -7, Suspended4, susb9
Lydian: Major, Δ, Suspeded2, Δ#11
Mixolydian: major, 7, Suspeded2, Suspended4,
Aeolian: minor, -7, Suspeded2, Suspended4, -7b13
Locrian: dim, Suspended4*, ø

susb9 ??
whats the formula??

also what does -7 mean?? minor 7??
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by victoryaloy
susb9 ?? whats the formula??

1 - 4 - 5 - b7 - b9. susb9 is short for 7sus4b9.

Quote by victoryaloy
also what does -7 mean?? minor 7??

Yes, minor 7.

Quote by demonofthenight
Don't be. Only people who want to get over technical use it. Its the same as a maj7 or major 7 (1-3-5-7).

Not at all. It's a short hand symbol that simplifies the chord, making it easier to write (not on a computer) - there's nothing 'over technical' about it. It makes life easier on the writer and reader.

Please don't be so presumptuous as to assume I only used that symbol to 'get over technical'.

It doesn't exclusively stand for maj7, or 1 - 3 - 5 - 7. It's a symbol used to show the chord has a major 7th interval from the root. C - E - G - B is labelled CΔ, C - E - B - D (Cmaj9) is labelled CΔ, C - Eb - G - Bb - D (Cm/maj9) is labelled C-Δ.

Sorry if some of you don't understand the short hand symbols, but they are what I'm used to reading & writing.
One thing that you shoould also do is think about the chord progressions within the mode.

A real common Dorian progression is i-7 to IV9. so if you were in A Dorian your progression would be A-7 to D9. That will really bring out the sound of the mode. Also i-7 to ii-7. So again in A Dorian you would have A-7 to B-7

Hope that helps