Which is more efficient in the long run for the majority of genres. I play in the Jazz band and like to play the blues. I work on rock/acoustic numbers in my free time, and I'm picking up classical guitar and begining to work on shred (just so I dont have the technical limits of speed, I dont really listen to the stuff much), what I've researched and looked into, learning to play using finger picking rather then a pick/plectrum is the most beneficial except for perhaps shred, but what confuses me, is that I can grow a nail on my indrex finger, pretend to hold a pick, and in theory shouldn't I be able to play just as fast as If I was holding a pick, as weren't they just designed to be an "extension of the index finger". I'm confused as to which I should spend /MORE/ time learning to do. If you can do everything with fingerpicking/index finger though, I dont see any reason to even bother with a pick. Am I correct in assuming I dont need a pick?
Hybrid picking is all I'll ever need.

For classical finger picking is a must however.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Practice fingerpicking, playing with a pick, and hybrid picking. Don't limit yourself.
threadstarter when your fingerpicking you dont just use your index finger you use all your fingers (well mainly just all except little finger) and nails really depend on what kind of music, but i do find that they make your sound a bit louder
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
most jazz players i see use finger picking. but i think its important to be comfortable with both types and i try to practice both evenly.
Use both. And about a comment further up, it depends really. Lots of jazzers fingerpick. But many don't. Many combine.
I do both, I use a pick a lot, and I fingerpick too, I also like to um.... is hybrid picking where you use you pick and middle and ring fingers? anyway, that
Pick some, finger some (your girlfriend will love you for it...)

When I want to fingerpick I just stick the plectrum between my teeth, but alas this makes singing a bit tricky.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Do you mean using the nail on your index finger as a pick? As in alternate picking with it.
Quote by ibason
Do you mean using the nail on your index finger as a pick? As in alternate picking with it.

Yes, thats exactly what I ment, I failed to explain that clearly, I suppose. Because if you can shred just as efficiently using the index nail, why bother learning to use a pick that much is the way I see it.
Quote by MrSnugglewuffle
Yes, thats exactly what I ment, I failed to explain that clearly, I suppose. Because if you can shred just as efficiently using the index nail, why bother learning to use a pick that much is the way I see it.

different tone

I hit the strings HARD with a really fat pick, if I use the some approach when strumming and playing without a pick my fingers are ripped apart after a few minutes