i'm willing to spend 400-600 US$ to buy an amp, i have been considering the Peavey TransTube 212 EFX amp but not sure enough, i just need an amp to play as i lay dying/the fall of troy/bullet for my valentine type of tone with that im happy enough, i'm not considering half stacks,2 big, just need a decent amp to practice and have sessions.

hope anybody can help me decide
Quote by acdcrocks0323
This is good for wat you want.
Just use an overdrive with it.

+1 to the B-52, but why would you need an OD for it? It has plenty of gain by itself...unless you mean to tighten its sound up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
btw the way i use a gibson faded sg, that amp looks good but i think its mayb 2 much power bcuse its a 60w tube
Quote by forsaknazrael
They don't really make many affordable lower wattage combos for your genre of music.

Exactly.

Hi-gain amps that are a lot of watts actually aren't too much overkill. Everyone that says that you don't need 100 watts for playing in bedroom and even gigs is correct, however, with hi-gain tube amps, most of the distortion comes from the preamp which means that you don't need to crank it like other lower gain tube amps to get a good sound out of it. Which then means that it will still sound better cranked, but it's not unheard of to get a really nice tone out of it at very low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
bit confused last post but i think i get it, so i need a hi-gain tube amp to get the type of tone i want in more simple means, right?
Quote by fist
bit confused last post but i think i get it, so i need a hi-gain tube amp to get the type of tone i want in more simple means, right?

What I meant really is that people say that something like that B-52 is too loud for bedroom practice when it's not at all. People will tell you that you want a lower wattage amp so you can crank it to get a good tone, which isn't so much true with higher gain amps. They sound good at any volume.

But yes, for what you play, you deffinately want something hi-gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Hi-gain amps that are a lot of watts actually aren't too much overkill. Everyone that says that you don't need 100 watts for playing in bedroom and even gigs is correct, however, with hi-gain tube amps, most of the distortion comes from the preamp which means that you don't need to crank it like other lower gain tube amps to get a good sound out of it. .

sorry, but those 100 watt channel switchers all sound like ass at low volumes IMO. that pre amp thing is another one of UGs retarded myths being spread around.
Quote by TehJermie
sorry, but those 100 watt channel switchers all sound like ass at low volumes IMO. that pre amp thing is another one of UGs retarded myths being spread around.

Then I'd like to know what amps you were playing because I've played every Mesa, VHT, Peavey, B-52, Genz-Benz, etc. And they all sound miles better than anything a SS amp can put out and at volumes of 2 or lower. Yes, they sound better at high volumes, but still better than any SS at low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ playing a crate and a line6 dont make you an expert on solid state amplification. youve obviously been nowhere near the good stuff.
Quote by TehJermie
^ playing a crate and a line6 dont make you an expert on solid state amplification. youve obviously been nowhere near the good stuff.

that may be true, but for 600usd you might as well go tube.

TS, I would say grab a used 5150 and throw and attenuator in there.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by TehJermie

Mesa Roadking/Mark IV, VHT Pittbull/Deliverance, Diezel Herbert/Einstein aren't good stuff? Just what do you consider "good stuff" then?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
so... a 5150 can get me the tone i need?, if so a 4x12 cab is 2 much?
Quote by fist
so... a 5150 can get me the tone i need?, if so a 4x12 cab is 2 much?

Peavey 5150
B-52 AT-212
Mesa F-30/F-50

Those would be my pick if I was in your situation. I'd actually prefer the Mesa over the others though, its a much better sounding amp (imo). But yeah a good combo is all you need, you could get a 4x12, but I honestly don't think you'd need it, it wouldn't make *that* much of a difference in volume and it'd just be one more thing to lug around.

However, the 5150 is damn heavy (and big), not sure about the B-52 (never picked one up), and the Mesas are pretty light actually. If you really wanted, you could go with a head and a 2x12 combo, it'd be easier to carry around, but with your budget, you don't have enough money to buy a decent head to go with the cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i think im going for a peavey 5150 2x12 or a mesa F-30, checking how both sound now