about a month ago i got my first classical guitar, and i know nothing about strings for classical guitars so could anyone give me some information on brands or types?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Saverez medium tension are what I use... They cost a lil more then most, but you definatly notice a marked difference in tone, plus they feel great....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
What is the difference between High tension and Medium or Low tension?

Are they different thickness?
High tension, louder, harder to play, and harder on the guitar

Low tension, softer, easier to play, easy on the guitar....

Im not exactly sure of the difference in guage, ive always used medium tension so i wouldnt really know sorry, id imagine there wouldnt be much of a difference
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Thanks. I bought hi tension for some reason. Think I'll switch strings.
anyone else have any recommendations?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
John Williams used D'Addarios. From what I've heard, they are a bit more long-lasting, but not amazingly longer. I use Augustine, which is what Segovia used. I have been meaning to try out D'Addarios. Also, you might want to read up on what some other Classical guitarists like David Russell, Julian Bream or Pepe Romero use. A lot of Classical guitarists use mixed sets.
I used to stick primarily with D'addario medium tensions, but the best set that I've ever used was a "very hard" tension set, though I don't remember what brand it was.

My Alvarez has fiendishly low action, so I need the much higher tension to get greater tone and dynamics.
My God, it's full of stars!
My Alvarez has fiendishly low action, so I need the much higher tension to get greater tone and dynamics.

That's a good point. I've lowered my action quite a bit. I wonder if medium or low tension strings would buzz. I'd hate to raise the action.
Last edited by Le Sage at Sep 27, 2007,