OK im wanting a tube amp so bad, but i need to find something that is good for metal and doesnt need to be cranked to sound decent. i was going to get a peavey valveking head as they are cheap and have lots of great reviews, plus tonnes of people have told me they are great amps. although someone i know has told me he plays his fine at bedroom volumes, ive seen a number of posts online saying they dont sound good until you crank em up to like 3.5/4

so if this is the case can someone recommend me a good tube head that isnt too expensive (I have a £500 ($1000) budget), has a great metal tone, and works well at bedroom volumes?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Well the valveking isnt the best choice for metal. It doesnt have enough gain or the voicing for it. Also, most tube amps aimed for metal will sound good at low volumes because most of the gain is preamp gain and not gain from pushing the poweramp.
^ true. for example, a 5150 has an incredibly high amount of gain in the preamp.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I don't know a lot about kranks, but this little half-stack looks badass
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
Line 6 Pod and one of thoughs Atomic Tube Power Amp/Speaker Thingums.Get the lowest watt one you can get.
Quote by Galapogos
Line 6 Pod and one of thoughs Atomic Tube Power Amp/Speaker Thingums.Get the lowest watt one you can get.

i've looked at that and thought the lowest was like 120w...can't remember.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
I just dont see how you guy dont think the valveking can't do metal its actually really starting to bug me lol.. If I had a decent way to record I would prove it!

Valvekings are cool, mine does great, DO NOT buy the matching cab however cus with that it does sound crap.. I got my valveking as part of a very good deal on ebay for 300quid with the cab! anyways I already had my marshall 2x12, when I got the amp I first hooked it up with the matching cab and it was okay.. just sounded a bit cheap.. but when I hooked it up to my marshall 1936 cab the thing REALLY came alive! im telling you the difference is HUGE it makes it sound like a different amp! and it sounds just fine for metal and its got plenty of gain, I mean my style uses a lot of legato rather than picking everything so I NEED a good amount of gain!

chris
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
A good idea might be to buy a tube head that is good for metal and get a weber attenuator that uses a speaker motor. It allows you to crank your amp all the way and then actually lower the overall volume of hte amp without sacrificing your tone and gain
Most amps with alot of preamp gain will do fine.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It seems like most people who start threads like this are wanting a tube amp just because they're tube amps, not necessarily because of their tones...

If it's a bedroom amp, why not just get a preamp (rocktron prophesy, Carvin Tone Navigator, Pod, Pod XTLive) then use headphones, later invest in a power section/amp. Or just get a Roland Microcube or 15watt vox.

If you're the only one thats going to be hearing it, why go all out when you can get the basic function for much less.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
So you play metal in your bedroom, but you want a halfstack? That might be an issue. I'd wait until you need more power, i.e., when you're gigging, to get a tube amp that'll do metal well.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It seems like most people who start threads like this are wanting a tube amp just because they're tube amps, not necessarily because of their tones...

If it's a bedroom amp, why not just get a preamp (rocktron prophesy, Carvin Tone Navigator, Pod, Pod XTLive) then use headphones, later invest in a power section/amp. Or just get a Roland Microcube or 15watt vox.

If you're the only one thats going to be hearing it, why go all out when you can get the basic function for much less.

so your saying if your the only person who can hear your tone its ok if it sucks ass?

I want a good tube tone, i dont give a crap who hears it, im the one playing the guitar so obviously i want it to sound good

Quote by cokeisbetter
So you play metal in your bedroom, but you want a halfstack? That might be an issue. I'd wait until you need more power, i.e., when you're gigging, to get a tube amp that'll do metal well.

why would that be an issue? i have a randall rg100es 120watt amp head atm and run it though my randall warhead speakers, thats essentially a halfstack but with a 2x12 instead of 4x12

Quote by synth002
I just dont see how you guy dont think the valveking can't do metal its actually really starting to bug me lol

+1 dude, check this clip out if you dont think the VK can do metal without an overdrive pedal

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j2LJIQvwvKw
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
hey i just found out the valveking has a texture knob on the back, from what i gather it lets you run the amp at lower volumes whilst still keeping a good tone, is this right?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
any tube amp with a master-control will do fine for you!!!
than you dont need a weber attenuator at all!

ah i forgot...go for the ENGL SCREAMER!!!!!!!!!
well the valveking doesnt have one, it only has seperate volume controls for each channel
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
VK have a master volume. On the lead channel the distortion is controlled by the "Gain" know and the master volume is just labeled "Volume." It's a Peavey thing. The "Texture" knob (Class A- Class A/B) does cut the power to about 20% or less. I play mine at "loud bedroom volume" and it's not bad, but a smaller tube combo might be better. The Peavey Transtubes with a headphone out jack might do the job for you with the right distortion pedal.
No, it's not an attenuator. I wish. It's more like running a set of Yellow Jackets.
ENGL screamer would be great but it's out of your price range. if you already have a cab check out the ENGL Thunder head. If you are planning to buy a cab as well then forget it and buy an ENGL Screamer COMBO or else look for used Mesa's/Peavey 5150's on ebay

Also that VK clip sounds horrid, but the VK can do 80's metal fine
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I'm still waiting on the Windsor combo. Peavey isn't too great about meeting release schedules, so I won't hold my breath.
Quote by Storm_Bringer_

Also that VK clip sounds horrid, but the VK can do 80's metal fine

WeLL that clip does not to the amp justice! to start off the person playing is an amature so as well as not so great playing guys using a kiddie's guitar (that looks like its total stock) and might not have tha amp EQ'd well either.. PLUS that dude is using one of those HORRID matching valveking cabs!! and they are just THE WORST!!! ...soooo bad those bloody cabs!!!

...having sed that without pro recordings you cant get a real good impression of any amp really..
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
^ er yeah.. I know
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ er yeah.. I know

EERRR? lol.. well my point (which I managed to foget to actually get to!) was that the valveking can do all kinds of metal not just 80's .. Trivium, Avenged sevenfold, machine head.. they're all within reach..
Quote by Count Seanula
modern metal definitely requiresa pedal, and even then you may as well look at other amps
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I post this a LOT

I use a simple TUBESCREAMER as a "poor man's attenuator" - turn the amp wide open - turn the level control on the TS way down - and Voila' - IT WORKS - might suck a wee bit of tone but I get fully cranked tubes at low volumes in the house and the old Lady ain't bitchin' as much

Now granted my tube amps are 5-watt and 20-watters but that shouldn't matter...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
modern metal definitely requiresa pedal, and even then you may as well look at other amps

each to their own I guess, only thing I can see a pedal doing is make the amp sound out of control, grainy with gain and mushy from distortion but its just personal taste I guess
Quote by Count Seanula
most tube amps ain't great metal amps without some help. I use a SS amp for metal and cleans... tube amps for the rest.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!