Page 1 of 2
So I was reading about the Ramones on wikipedia. I like the Ramones but Im not like a huge fan but I acknowledge them for all they've done for punk rock, but I was wondering what type of guitar Johnny Ramone used. It looks like a weird looking guitar so thanks for all the help.
He used a Mosrite. They're really expensive now but you can find some good copys. For example, Eastwood makes a guitar called the hi-flyer which is an excellent budget version.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I have an old poster of Johnny on my wall. I don't knwo what guitar it is. The headstock is cut out. God damn photographers.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Mosrite Mark IV, only four copies are availible. Johhny's estate owns one, Kurt Cobain owned another one (reverse strung) and there are two other ones. They run for roughly 110 000$
He also used a white Fender Strat that he used for some time.
But what happened to Johnny's guitar?

100 points for anyone who can tell me what happened to it.

hell, 200 points.
Didn't they put in a rock n roll museum or somehting like that?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
it was a Mosrite Mark II guitar that he had made a few changes to.

there's a picture of the eastwood recreation, which is pretty acurate.
yeah its a mosrite, and the eastwood model is the closest i think anyones come to copying his guitar.

its a pretty sweet guitar.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
christ, you guys are thicker than a set of germs lyrics.

says you mr "i eat too many of mommies cookies"
Quote by original=punk
says you mr "i eat too many of mommies cookies"

I wouldn't mind a taste of YOUR mommies cookies
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I lost my guitar polish

You polish your guitars? That doesn't sound very p0nx...
Quote by neidnarb11890
You polish your guitars? That doesn't sound very p0nx...
I only have 5 strings on my guitar. Is that punx? *-)
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Pfft, my guitar has the pickup falling out, dodgy wiring, and a missing tuning knob. *-)

The p0nxest guitar would have to be a 3 string, with movable power chord shape though *-)
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
My guitar is made out of a Tissue box, paper towel roll, and rubber band strings. I stole it from a 3 year old *-)
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Appreciating what you have in life and caring for it is punk.

It's also extremely rock and roll.

Having an awesome guitar and letting the dirt on the fretboard culture is disgustingly poser.
Taking care of your instruments is very, very punk.

I mean, without music, punks are just a bunch of angry kids breaking stuff.

EDIT: I'd like to add that people who smash their instruments are unpunx, spoiled rock stars who know they can buy a new one for the next gig.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by SuperBlob
Pfft, my guitar has the pickup falling out, dodgy wiring, and a missing tuning knob. *-)

The p0nxest guitar would have to be a 3 string, with movable power chord shape though *-)

I'm sure you don't mean the Gretsch.
Quote by ss311
I'm sure you don't mean the Gretsch.

Nah, me first guitar, a Pacifica. I'm gonna get it fixed up soon though, as it's actually quite good in my opinion
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
EDIT: I'd like to add that people who smash their instruments are unpunx, spoiled rock stars who know they can buy a new one for the next gig.

Are you implying that Paul Simonon is unpunx?
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia

Why would you buy a new one? You keep playing with the guitar. R-tard.
it was a white 1965 mosrite ventures II with a SD mini humbucker and a single coil pickup. it was his main guitar after his blue mosrite ventures II was stolen.
I've always wondered how people manage to find these threads, let alone what compels them to revive them.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I've always wondered how people manage to find these threads, let alone what compels them to revive them.

You have to change one of the forum settings so it'll display threads from the the beginning instead of the last 90 days or whatever it is.

And my threadnomancy just one-upped Mr. Sid78's by an entire year
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Aug 15, 2009,
Quote by RentACar
Mosrite Mark IV, only four copies are availible. Johhny's estate owns one, Kurt Cobain owned another one (reverse strung) and there are two other ones. They run for roughly 110 000$
He also used a white Fender Strat that he used for some time.

This confuses me. Was Mosrite still making them when Cobain got his? Or did Kurt pay a ton of money for one. It doesnt seem very grunge to buy a ridiculously expensive guitar, and if Mosrite were still making them one would assume that there would be more than 4 copies available.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
This confuses me. Was Mosrite still making them when Cobain got his? Or did Kurt pay a ton of money for one. It doesnt seem very grunge to buy a ridiculously expensive guitar, and if Mosrite were still making them one would assume that there would be more than 4 copies available.

I highly doubt one of those was owned by Kurt. Kurt played Univox Hi-Fliers, which were cheap japanese copies of the Ventures models. Post-1990 he almost exclusively played Fender Models.
Kurt did own a Mosrite. It wasn't the same model as Johnnys though. Kurt had some cool guitars but he made crap music.
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
I'm guessing Mosrites weren't as expensive when Kurt Cobain would have bought one. They were surf guitars, so like Jaguars and Jazzmasters, they were probably cheap in the mid-late '80s when everybody wanted superstrats and stuff.
I think this is the guitar that's being talked about, and it is a Ventures IV after all. He got it in late 1990

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/pictures/motor3.jpg

It sold for a lot and apparently there was a note from Mosrite to the person it was originally built for.

I just laugh because by Johnny's account at the least, the actual Mosrite guitars were fragile and unplayable. It seems better to pick a cheaper copy that might be made from sturdier wood than shell out tens of thousands for a guitar Johnny and Kurt probably each got for around $50.
Quote by Red-Rockabilly
Kurt did own a Mosrite. It wasn't the same model as Johnnys though. Kurt had some cool guitars but he made crap music.

Kurt didnt make crap music, he was a good songwriter. Just extremely overated. And as a guitar player he was pretty worthless. Anyway it is interesting how Johnny Ramone bought the guitar for pennies and now its worth tens of thousands. I look around pawn shops today and either everyone knows how much every guitar should cost now, or decent instruments just aren't as cheap anymore. It sucks that I cant go to the local pawn shop and pick up my own $100 guitar and expect it to be playable.
Page 1 of 2