First, i love my RG50TC. I bought it used for $300. but when i start to turn it up on the distortion channel (not even that loud) a high pitched noise comes from my amp. it is so annoying. not even rolling off on my guitar helps. Will replacing the tubes help that at all?

my current tubes:
12AX7:
2 EH tubes, 1 without a name
12AT7:
1 EH tube
EL34:
2 EH tubes

any help is greatly appreciated
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
It's called feedback...

Get a noise reduction pedal. I recommend the ISP Decimator, I actually wouldn't buy anything else, all the others suck tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i thought it wasnt feedback because even when i unplug my guitar, it still has makes the high pitched noise. but i will check out the pedal
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by zanz1bar
i thought it wasnt feedback because even when i unplug my guitar, it still has makes the high pitched noise. but i will check out the pedal

Hmm... well if it doesn't make the sound at low volume but gets worse as you turn it up, it's more than likely feedback.

However, if it makes it all the time, it is possible that one of your tubes went microphonic, which means you'd need to replace the tube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks, i just tried my amp out. no noise when nothing is plugged in, but when there is just a cord in (no guitar) i get the same noise

Tyler Durden
Quote by zanz1bar
thanks, i just tried my amp out. no noise when nothing is plugged in, but when there is just a cord in (no guitar) i get the same noise

Hmmm, that's quite odd. It could also be the cord, do you have another to try?

I'm still betting the Decimator would get rid of it though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i tried my monster cable, still making the noise

Tyler Durden
Last edited by zanz1bar at Sep 23, 2007,
Hmm... Then it has to be one of the two I mentioned before. I've never had a tube go microphonic on me before so I can't really give any insight on that as to whether it sounds like it is or not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Okay, thanks alot for your help

Tyler Durden
Quote by zanz1bar
Okay, thanks alot for your help

No problem, hopefully someone else will see your thread and give you a few more answers.

Good luck!

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea im gonna have to say its a tube thing, probably in the preamp i think based on what ive read. just take it into gutiar center or something for them to look at it.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
your pickups could also be microphonic, unless you mean it's still there even when the guitar's volume is rolled right down to 0.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the same amp and I get the same high pitched noise...

I tried with 2 different guitars and 2 different cables, volume rolled down to 0 etc... didn't try without a cable plugged in thought.

Mine's not new either, so I guess it's the tubes.. I dunno, did you have it checked at a guitar center?