I've heard all the stories of UGers who's bands have opened for medium to somewhat popular bands. How do they go on doing this? Do you get asked? Do you contact them? If so, how?
i opened for a pretty popular local band over the summer (they're currently working out a deal with sony) i've known the guitarist since i was about 3 so he approached me one day and asked if i was interested to which i of course replied "**** yes"
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
I know a few local bands that have done it by the venue needing to book support so they just get local bands to do it. Depends whether or not the touring band have their own support.
my friends band almost opened up for 3 doors down, thats all... idk know how though
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
My band gets a lot of our opening spots through myspace. A local promoter or venue will announce that they have an opening spot available then you just have to reply and hopefully your band gets chosen.
A friend of mine is opening for the Misfits in Worcester soon. He refuses to tell me how he got this contract.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by It'sForTheBest
My band gets a lot of our opening spots through myspace. A local promoter or venue will announce that they have an opening spot available then you just have to reply and hopefully your band gets chosen.

ftw
Quote by Sabu
I know a few local bands that have done it by the venue needing to book support so they just get local bands to do it. Depends whether or not the touring band have their own support.

Thats how they do it up here as well. Although I've never opened for a big band, our drummers other band has opened for a few including Adema, Godsmack and most recently Megadeth. The only somewhat big band I've ever opened for was Turbid North, a local band who is in Texas now working out a deal with a Guardian Music.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

My cousins band got to open for cryptopsy because their opening band jammed out the day before.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
My band might be opening for Bleed the Sky (Nuclear Blast Records) sometime in the near future. When their guitarist was really sick, Blabbermouth.net posted an article about it, I left some words of encouragement, and apparently, he read them, found my MySpace, and sent me a message thanking me for my kind words, and saying that the next time BTS tour through the Idaho/Washington area, he'd see what he could do about getting Dying to Live an opening spot on the show...needless to say, that was totally badass.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
my band has opened for..

NOONE

We haven't played any shows other than Battle of The Band's Parties, and School things..

It sucks

Hopefully my new project works out!!
Quote by GeetarAbuse
My band might be opening for Bleed the Sky (Nuclear Blast Records) sometime in the near future. When their guitarist was really sick, Blabbermouth.net posted an article about it, I left some words of encouragement, and apparently, he read them, found my MySpace, and sent me a message thanking me for my kind words, and saying that the next time BTS tour through the Idaho/Washington area, he'd see what he could do about getting Dying to Live an opening spot on the show...needless to say, that was totally badass.

Awesome, BTS are a wicked band.

My mate's band toured with Travis.
if you're going for popular bands locally, you just get to know the guys in the bands, like for us, i know all the guys in the big local bands, mainly like, Severed Serenity, their guitarist is my guitar teacher. so he usually gets us in on every show possible. its basically just know the right people
Guitar:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson DK2-L w/ Dimarzio X2N
Takamine acoustic

Bass:
Fender Precision Bass

Amp:
Marshall AVTX150H
Behringer BG412F
Marshall MG15MSII
Haven't opened for anyone yet, but according to some people i know in more succesful bands all you gotta do (around here neways) is contact the venues. Let em know what genre u are and when they need a band of your genre to open, they message u on myspace and u just reply and bam.
Quote by merfsullivan
A friend of mine is opening for the Misfits in Worcester soon. He refuses to tell me how he got this contract.

Let's just say it's not who ya know, it's who ya blow.
this guy i know from high school is opening for Hanson on their most recent tour, ill ask him how he got on board.

granted i doubt any of you would want to open for someone like Hanson (i wouldnt personally either) but i will ask him how he got the opportunity
Quote by 18th_Angel
No dude, that is definitely an ugly chick. I'm talking 10 or 11 beers ugly.
Quote by Inno_a_Satana
i opened for the beatles. i'm super cerial.

i think i love you
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
I've opened for Chasing Victory, MyChildren Mybride, and He is Legend, but they all suck dick.
Quote by Zodiax04
I've opened for Chasing Victory, MyChildren Mybride, and He is Legend, but they all suck dick.

i liked chasing victorys old stuff. my old band opened for Snow Patrol, played a gig with Muse in 2000 as well when they were a lot less known. My mates band opened for the misfits in edinburgh as well!. You need to contact the promoters directly (phone local venues and ask) and if they see by your myspace site you have a fair amount of fans and are decent and similar music.
Yea Chasing Victory is from a town about 1 hour south of where I live, so they came up to The Core (most famous venue where I live) and played, we opened, and were like 10 times better as far as complexity goes.
Quote by Zodiax04

I declare a vendetta! VENDETTA!!!
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Sabu
Let's just say it's not who ya know, it's who ya blow.

Haha! It's like you know them!
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
I find certainly for our band, we start with one of our punk numbers, this gives the audience something to bounce to, and gets them ready for the rest of your set. Play something that will get them moving without going totally heavy oin them.
my band could have opened for the black dahlia murder. but they're nowhere near as heavy and we would have looked stupid. my singer didnt know who they were and he was sayin "yea lets go for it, theyre famous arent they?" and i said "aye but have you heard them?"

i suppose i could have got my metal band to do it. but even that band isn't as heavy.
My band has opened for some pretty big bands (well, if you're Canadian anyways)

Marianas Trench
Ill Scarlett
The Salads
Jet Set Satellite
Alpha Galates
etc.

But we just got really lucky because one of my best friends is the areas biggest show promoter, and he kinda took us under his wing and everytime he gets a big show lined up he gives us a call.
Electrolytes Smell Like Semen...
My best friend is opening for wheatus in his band he also opened for Adler's Appetite, the old drummer from guns and roses's band. They said they where great and actually took the bands number for future gigs in the UK.
I've opened up for the Queers before. I was looking at a venue's website and saw that the Queers would be coming through. A lot of more professional venues like a press kit before you contact them about booking. So throw one together, look around. Give them time to look it over and don't bother them. Most venues have specific directions on their sights.

Go through the venue, not the band.
DOWN&OUT
I played with Rolo Tomassi a band from Leeds when we were doing a one off gig down there like.

We got a better crowd reception then them
But was still class.

Story so far is that Thewy are still amazing
We have broken up.

LOL
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!