Well, I've had a couple Coronas (always the preferred rant fuel ) and I've had somthing on my mind for the past couple months, so without further ado, away we go.

One of the wonderful things about UG in my opinion is we get guitarists of all skill levels from all walks of life. Some are self taught, some take lessons, some for months, others for years. We all have different tastes, different styles, and different backgrounds, however we are all united through our love of music and the instrument that makes it possible.

However, and I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, I've noticed that every few threads or so someone feels they have an axe to grind. Without saying anything constructive, they feel the need to proove themselvs by saying "you suck, your music sucks, and your opinion is wrong" etc etc. I find it extremely annoying that people get on here simply because they need a measuring stick.

Big deal, you can play all the solos from '..and justice for all'. Congrats. However, simply because you have some moderate skill doesn't give you license to criticize others because they haven't reached that level yet. Nobody starts out playing like Eric Clapton or Steve Vai or _insert guitar great here_. We all start out playing basic chords and scales, and it's both petty and rude to criticize someone for their particular skill level.

We also progress at different rates. It irritates me to no end to see someone saying "oh, yeah, stairway. I learned that in 3 months n00b". Well, kudos to you. I see no sense in criticizing someone who may be struggling with a particular song or riff simply because you learned it faster. NOBODY CARES and it helps NO ONE to beat your chest on a web forum. If you really want to point that out, follow it up with tips or methods you used to help others achive what you've learned. IMO one of the greatest thing you can do with the guitar is pass the wonderful gift of being able to play it on to others so they can experience that joy you felt the first time you got that entire riff just right.

Another thing I've noticed over the past few months is when someone asks for beginner songs, there's usually some ass who feels the need to suggest somthing ridiculous for a beginner to attempt. "Bohemian Raphsody" is NOT a song for someone just picking up the guitar to attempt. You aren't prooving anything to anyone by saying moderate to difficult songs are easy. You're making yourself look like a moron who doesn't understand skill levels. Again, this helps no one and serves to make you look like a colossal tool. Granted, 'easy' is a fairly subjective term, but be realistic.

The guitar is a beautiful instrument that can bring joy to many, and through this forum we have a rare opportunity that many guitarists have never had to share experiences, ideas, and our respective love of music. I'd like nothing more then to see more of that spirit on here and a little less boasting. None of us have anything to proove except to ourselves. Let's all try to bear that in mind.

Play what you love, love what you play
Peace
-Garou-
1+ but forums will always have there trolls... and the trolls will have there troll like outings which leads to the eating of cookies from the cookie deprived....
play what you love, love what you play...

i like that alot and i live by it.
I understand where you are coming from, but I think its easier to just let things go. There are bungholes everywhere, internet forums included. I think in general, this part of UG doesn't have as much of that. Do we bash Ibanez occasionally? Yes. I think that its just one of those things that you shouldn't let get to you.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Well, it's not so much that it gets to me, I just felt the need to vent about it. I honestly don't understand the mindset and it seems self serving and foolish to me. *shrug* I don't expect everyone to agree with me on these rants of mine. Also I have nothing against people showing a prefernce twards one thing or another, my point is don't be an ass about it
But what's the point of getting good at the guitar if your not allowed to give sh*t to beginners? Isn't learning the guitar just one giant ego stroking exercise? This sort of commie-pinko thinking is dangerous to the thoughts and ideals of free uggers whose constitutional rights allow them to give sh*t to people who are worse at stuff then they are.
No offense, but you know whats worse than the people who criticize others?
The people that bash those people who criticize.
I also ditto what roamingbard said.
I understand your point of view with the rant, but on the other hand, you have to show a certain sense of maturity about it. As musicians, we're always going to try to impress another musician, whether its to "prove" anything or not. We can't help it!! It runs in our blood haha. Personally, I have never seen an instance where someone has "an axe to grind" in this particular forum. There might be a little joking around in here every now and then, but I can't recall seeing any "n00b." comments.
Just a few personal opinions...
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Last edited by crystalh at Sep 24, 2007,
i agree, good rant. But personally, i don't think UG is too bad when it comes to people being pricks about other peoples abilities as musicians.

and in reply too Battery Chicken, guitar, for some, isn't just one big ego-stroking exercise. I know i play guitar because it is my way of getting things out, it's my release of emotion, not because i wanna show some guy how unreal i am, i do it for my mental wellbeing.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake, you just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Quote by crystalh
No offense, but you know whats worse than the people who criticize others?
The people that bash those people who criticize.
I also ditto what roamingbard said.
I understand your point of view with the rant, but on the other hand, you have to show a certain sense of maturity about it. As musicians, we're always going to try to impress another musician, whether its to "prove" anything or not. We can't help it!! It runs in our blood haha. Personally, I have never seen an instance where someone has "an axe to grind" in this particular forum. There might be a little joking around in here every now and then, but I can't recall seeing any "n00b." comments.
Just a few personal opinions...

Shutup NOOB
I EAT NUBCAKES LIKE YOU FOR BREAKFAST!

sorry, I can't help myself.

I do agree with the rant and I agree with a few other things said here. Playing guitar is, in part at least done to impress people, to show off a little, everyone likes to show what theyre good at, no matter what they say.
And theyre are some real tools around here. Like a big of disagreement is good because who knows, you or others might learn something by being in or watching a disagreement. But there are also some real tools around who can be real pricks, which is unfortunate because the people its mostly likely to affect are the people new to guitar just looking for some help, and who end up feeling like crap/not getting any decent help.

In a forum as large as this (this applies to all forums really) there are gunna be the odd dickhead, and being on the internet, where you cant see peoples faces and its quite impersonal can help bring that out in some people. But having this many poeple also means that there are more people with knowledge and the will to help others around that more often than not you get quick, helpfull answers. On smaller, more personal forums there tend to be less or even no dicks hanging around cos its hard to be forgotten if your a dick to 2 people on a forum with only 50regular posters, everyone will know and remember you. But in this kidna of environment there isnt as large of a pool of knowledge to draw on, leading to longer waits on answers, and sometimes no answers at all. But you can also have some people hanging around that have a lot of knowledge in very specialized areas which you generally dont get in larger forums.

I have only just started posting again after not really ebing around for a month or two because I found another fantastic forum (quite a small, local one). Great place to be... I use a lot of different forums for a lot of different topics and subjects and thats probably the best way to be IMO. And after being on forums and on the web you sort of learn to deal with the dickheads and just ignore them, maybe post something nice for them that politely wrecks whatever they were saying...

You also have to modify the way to talk (well type i guess) on the net because you have on body language, which accounts for a huge amount of the actual communication between people.

So without practice it can be very easy to rub people up the wrong way and not mean it... So it can be hard to distinguish true dickheads to accidental ones sometimes...

Just my thoughts on the matter....
and in reply too Battery Chicken, guitar, for some, isn't just one big ego-stroking exercise. I know i play guitar because it is my way of getting things out, it's my release of emotion, not because i wanna show some guy how unreal i am, i do it for my mental wellbeing.

Umm that was for ****s and giggles, I wasn't being serious.