...I was told by guitar center whenever I'm taking a shower, I should leave my guitar in the bathroom, just so it can get a bit more humid. In the mean time, I'm forced to use 13 gauge strings, and they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to bend up a whole step Eventually, all the problems I had with the guitar should fix itself though, and I can switch back to 10's or 9's.

Will this actually work?
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
why dont you like 13 gauge strings on a strat? i f***in love them. keep practicing and you might be able to bend them up 2 steps. its so fullfilling when you manage to do that....but as for a dried out truss rod, never heard of it.
I didnt think truss rods could be wet or dry. it might just be too much tension from the thick gauge strings.
Well, honestly, I wouldn't mind the 13 gauge strings at all if they weren't so hard to bend up :-\
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
how long have you had it? have you considered a new neck or sumtin?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've had it since February. I really don't think that's much of a long time.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
seriously. where do u live? how dry is ur place?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I live in NY >_>

Honestly, I think I bought the guitar like that.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Quote by RoboRobot
I live in NY >_>

Honestly, I think I bought the guitar like that.

Take it back then to where you bought it.
Truss rods are made of metal -metal isn't renowned for it's moisture retention properties. In short, whoever you were talking to in GC was talking out of their arse...no surprise there :rolleyes.

You don't need to take the guitar into the shower, that's utter bollocks - I suggest going back to GC and walloping said employee over the head with said guitar, or more seriously complain to his manager about the duff advice he's been giving out. Unless it was the manager, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, sadly.

You haven't exactly stated what the problem you're having his - what exactly is up with the guitar anyway?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There were a few problems with it.

1. When I play an open G, right after I kill the note off, it leaves me with a strange ringing sound (and this problem was actually fixed using the 13 gauge strings)

2. When I bend up the high e more than a whole step, it becomes dead (I wouldn't know if this problem is fixed, it's pretty much impossibly to bend it up that far with 13's)

3. The 1st fret on every string wasn't very clear. This problem was fixed with the 13's.

I also got a set up for 70 bucks. Was that a waste of money? :-\

Eventually, I REALLY wanna go back to 10's. Even if that doesn't fix the problems, I just can't deal with the 13's. I am so used to being able to bend up at least a whole step. The action is actually really good, and I do think the strings are fairly comfortable for rhythm playing and chords, and the tone is outstanding, but I'm more of a lead player, and I do a lot of bends.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Last edited by RoboRobot at Sep 24, 2007,
Yeah, but I don't have any of these problems with my other guitar.
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
First of all, don't take your guitar with you into the bathroom when you shower. If that does anything, it'll be harm.

It sounds like you might just need an adjustment. 70 bucks was a lot for a set up, especially considering that it sounds like they didn't do it right. The strings not sounding well at the first fret sounds like the strings are buzzing, probably at the second fret if it only happens at the first. When you put the heavy strings on, the extra tension made the neck bow just a little more, and the strings cleared the offending fret. I hate to suggest touching the truss rod first, but other than replacing the nut, that's about the only thing I can think of, except maybe raising the action at the bridge A LOT, which I'm sure you're not too hot on.

Loosening the truss rod VERY slightly will make it bow forward just a little more, and should solve this problem. If you are not confident doing this, find someone who is. This is one of the few adjustments on your guitar that can break it.

How hard do you have to struggle to bend the 10 gauge strings two semitones when they go dead? if you're pushing really hard you might just be letting up the downward force on the string and not realizing it. Otherwise it could be an uneven fret. You'll need a professional to do a fret dressing to fix that, but don't worry about that till you've taken care of the other problems. There's a good chance it'll go away when the guitar is set up properly.
sounds like you just need a setup like said.

if you need help, repost.

otherwise there are plenty of people here can get the guitar is much better shape.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, when I bend up the 10 gauge strings, I didn't really struggle at all, and I have experimented around with it, I know I was doing it properly. It always became dead at the same exact spot.

Should I get a new nut? Would that help at all?
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
you need to swap out the strings, level the bridge (simple) then raise the action enough on that string to clear that fret. (simple)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

guitar center is full of s**t. at least the stores are anyways. never buy a guitar directly from the store. go, play the guitar at the store, and then order from them online. you can get new guitars like half price. their employees there are pretty stupid and i think the high costs are becasue nobody buys guitars there becuase they are so stupid. when i was first buying a guitar the guy tricked me into buying all this crap i didnt need just because i knew nothing about guitars. i was pretty much bull and now i just go to the small little music store in my town because at least they know what a guitar is and how it works
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by steven seagull
Truss rods are made of metal -metal isn't renowned for it's moisture retention properties. In short, whoever you were talking to in GC was talking out of their arse...no surprise there :rolleyes.

You don't need to take the guitar into the shower, that's utter bollocks - I suggest going back to GC and walloping said employee over the head with said guitar, or more seriously complain to his manager about the duff advice he's been giving out. Unless it was the manager, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, sadly.

You haven't exactly stated what the problem you're having his - what exactly is up with the guitar anyway?

i agree, there's no point of keeping a bad product in your hands
Ugh, I just snapped my G. I plucked it at the 5th fret, I started to bend it up, and before I could bend it up a half step, it just snapped. And yes, it was 13 gauge.

Why does my Stratocaster hate me so much?
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
you might have sharp edges on the saddle?

yeah, or maybe ur strat hates you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you might have sharp edges on the saddle?

yeah, or maybe ur strat hates you.

or maybe some problems with the springs