so i just got a strat and it's great, love the sound. however i used to play on an ibanez with a dimarzio fred and i was able to do all those legato runs with ease, and now it's a lot harder. do i have to lower the string height, change the pickups on my strat and stuff to be able to pull off(pun intended) the legato runs on my strat?
lol ibanez pwn strats in this scenario.

Ibanez, have large frets, flat fret boards, thin necks, Floyd rose trems, dual locking, high out put pick ups.

strats have, single coils (most of time) higher action, smaller frets, C shape necks (mostly), curved finger boards.

I got a strat and a ibby and i couldnt live without my ibanez now....its so versatile. the strats just got more soul, better looks, bluesy tone.
yea dude

should of stuck with the ibanez
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
Well, Strats are just a different beast keep trying on the strat and practice it will make your fingers stronger if it's harder so you can do it on any guitar you want
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by DieKrupps

Ibanez, have large frets, flat fret boards, thin necks, Floyd rose trems, dual locking, high out put pick ups.

strats have, single coils (most of time) higher action, smaller frets, C shape necks (mostly), curved finger boards.

I got a strat and a ibby and i couldnt live without my ibanez now....its so versatile. the strats just got more soul, better looks, bluesy tone.

My strat has lower action than any ibanez i've played. The frets and pickups are true.
What the hell does a floyd rose trem have to do with this?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by DieKrupps

But, Van Halen is the most godly Legatoist ever, correct? He did it fine with a strat.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Technically Van Halen's strat was a Charvel...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
so dave murray from iron maiden has some of the best legato ever and he uses a strat. Just practice a bit on it and you should be able to do it, its not that hard.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by oyster
so i just got a strat and it's great, love the sound. however i used to play on an ibanez with a dimarzio fred and i was able to do all those legato runs with ease, and now it's a lot harder. do i have to lower the string height, change the pickups on my strat and stuff to be able to pull off(pun intended) the legato runs on my strat?

getting bigger frets or a scallopped fret board would help. but without spending too much money the answer is just practice. different guitars have different feels and you just need to get used to it.
Quote by MaidenRules666
so dave murray from iron maiden has some of the best legato ever and he uses a strat. Just practice a bit on it and you should be able to do it, its not that hard.

That's right, Dave Murray has always played the stratocaster and he is one of the most accomplished legato guitarists. The stratocaster may be more dofficult to pull it off on than the Ibanez, but it will help you build finger strength so when or if you ever do pick up an Ibanez, you'd be able to do it with ease.
None of this brand crap matters. The ease of playing a guitar is all down to 2 things: action and technique. Seeing as how you managed on an Ibanez I'm guessing it's the action; it needs to be lowered.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
lol the players you mentioned that used strats for like legato and metal music and stuff....

1. swapped for humbuckers
2. most of them had modified necks.
3. larger frets than on the average strat
Quote by DieKrupps
lol the players you mentioned that used strats for like legato and metal music and stuff....

1. swapped for humbuckers
2. most of them had modified necks.
3. larger frets than on the average strat

Yeh, so, Iron Maiden don't use single coils, they need humbuckers to get their heavy sound! The necks on their strats are no different and havn't been modified in any way..
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Sep 24, 2007,