Well, I've decided to make a thread involving bands UG loves to hate. Here we can discuss why we dislike these bands, and also why we like these bands. I've only been with UG for a few weeks but I can already tell what bands UG hate and loves. I'll start off the list:

My Chemical Romance

Reasons UG dislikes about them:
-They are considered emo and it is often bandwagon to hate emo bands
-They have poppy/whiny vocals which people dislike
-Their image constantly changes. They went from looking emo, to marching band geeks, and now to punkish-emoish teenagers.
-They are bi

Reasons I dislike them:
They have a humongous ego. Gerard said at the concert I went to that he was the sheriff of emo town (yeah I sigged him lol) but now he's saying that he thinks emo is a pile of ****. On their Myspace they actually say Rock/Metal. They try to appeal to everyone when really they are disliked by pretty much anybody who likes metal. Basically, they just aren't true to themselves.

Reasons I like them:
-They are overall just fun to listen to
-They make good music videos
-I think they have great lyrics
-They put on a great show live
-It's fun to listen to their music progress and get better

I personally think MCR is hated too much just because they are the most popular emo band around. People listen to their new singles with closed minds and just dislike them because they are emo.

Green Day

Reasons UG dislikes them
-They are played on the radio, MTV, and pretty everywhere soooo much
-Their music based almost entirely on chord progressions
-Some people think they are anti-patriotic
-So many of their songs sound the same

Reasons I dislike them
-They overplayed IMO
-They are very repetetive sounding

Reasons I like them
-I think their music is rebellious and energetic which makes me excited and happy
-I know they put on a great show live even though I haven't seen them
-Their songs are great for parties and such

Fall Out Boy

Reasons UG dislikes them
-They are often considered emo
-They are very melodic and not very heavy at all
-They are played all the time on MTV, the radio, etc.
-Pete Wentz thinks he's the king of emos basically
-A large percent of their fanbase is pre-teen/young teen girls
-Patrick's voice is often off key and cracks live

Reasons I dislike them
-They pick most annoying and poppy sounding songs for singles
-They seem too concerned about what the media thinks of them
-I don't think they're good live
-Pete's basslines are too easy

Reasons I like them
-Pete Wentz is an amazing songwriter (srsly)
-Their albums feel very complete and diverse
-Joe Trohman is a good guitarist
-Their old music has more of a hardcore sound (listen to Saturday from Take This to Your Grave)

Simple Plan

Reasons UG dislikes them
-Their music is extremely poppy and whiny
-Their songwriter (I think the singer) tries to be punk and emo at the same time and it makes him just look like a retard
-Most of their songs are about how their life sucks and nobody understands them when really they're famous rock stars with better live then most people

Reasons I dislike them
^lol I'm with UG on this one

Reasons I like them
I got nothing

Linkin Park

Reasons UG dislikes them
-They are played on the MTV, the radio, etc. a lot
-They are often considered nu-metal and they don't really have a solid genre which can make people dislike them more (I've heard them be called nu-metal, rap metal, pop rock, general metal, and general hard rock).
-Some people don't think rap and rock goes together

Reasons I dislike them
nothing

Reasons I like them
-Everything about them is awesome for me.
-Mike is a musical and lyrical genius
-Chester is an amazing singer
-Their songs are sooo diverse. A lot of people think they're like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNRhzX6gw8 but if you listen to their 3 main cds in a row you will be amazed by their diversity

Dragonforce

I love them and I think they're guitarist is amazing but I really don't know why UG hates them besides the fact that they get drunk and play sloppy on stage. Please tell me why you dislike them if you do.

Trivium

Same as Dragonforce.

I just want to hear your opinions about why you like or dislike bands. I'll add some more bands tomorrow but It's late and I g2g to bed soon.
Dragonforce just sounds ridiculously stupid, as much as they're all 100x more talented then most of us here, their songs all sound too technical
Trivium doesn't belong on this list. Although it's just a bunch of kids, they can play their instruments well.

Dragonforce however can't play guitars for ****. Speed is unequal to talent.

I was dragged to a Fall Out Boy concert once, right around the time that song "Sugar, We're Going Down" was popular on MTV and whatnot. They were the worst band I've ever seen. They made so many mistakes in that song, that they had to stop playing and start over. That's pathetic.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
In my opinion, dragonforce's guitarists are not talented whatsoever. They have the musical talent of someone who's really good at guitar hero. All they do is play so fast that you can't hear half the notes, taking all emotion out of their "solo's". Listen to the solo in comfortably numb and then listen to any dragonforce song. Tell me who has more talent. someone who is so talented with a guitar that he can show his feelings and make you feel the same way, or someone who can play a lot faster than most people...
That's my opinion on dragonforce anyways.
I don't really dislike trivium, because I've heard maybe one song. Not my style, but I don't think they should be on the list.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Alot of those pop-punk bands actually are very very melodic. They really think about their singing melody and they really think about what in their melodies would make their songs catchy.

Its a pity that every other aspect of their songs (including lyrics) is simplistic, boring and repititive. This is what loses UG'ers respect for pop-punk, not the fact that they are all whiny, popular, overplayed bitches (allthough they are all those things)

Dragonforce are also in the same boat as pop-rock bands, except that they know how to write everything else effectively. The solo's are what UG hates about them. Lets face it, they sound like computer effect *****s who wouldn't care what they played in their solo's. But apart from their woefull solo's, dragonforce are a damn good band.

But trivium... screaming scene boy crap. They DONT write melodies, they just scream. Can anyone here actually here a melody in screaming? They sound ridiculously digital and their guitar is basically E chugging, or sometimes they copy someone elses riffs. The only thing that keeps me from tracking them down and shooting them is that they use a double kick on their drums.

People normally only see the bad things about bands. I *attempt* to see the good things about bands (btw I dont listen to pop-punk, its not my prefered genre of music), its just a damn pity trivium has no good things about it.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Surely Keane should be on this list. Not only are they the most annoyingly whiney bunch of sub Indie rubbish around, they don't have a freaking guitarist!!
Trivium have never played sloppy when my son and I have seen them nor have they ever been drunk on stage,we have seen them 5 times they are simply the best band around today and we look forward to seeing them again soon and my son has said to me that dragonforce were not sloppy at all when he saw them
Last edited by big geordie at Sep 24, 2007,
I like Green Day and MCR and green day are amazing live, good sound and they really interact and get the crowd going.
Maybe it's because I've only heard the songs on their Myspace but I don't think Trivium screams. And if they do, so what? Songs can have good melodies and screaming. Listen to an Ocean Between Us by as I Lay Dying and you'll see what I mean. The only reason I put Trivium on the list is because lots of UG members seem to dislike them.

About Dragonforce, all though saying speed doesn't equal skill is pretty true, it still doesn't meen Herman Li isn't an awesome guitarist. I'm pretty sure he's better then about 95% of the guitarists on UG. Does that make him the best guitarist in the world? No. But he still is a hell of a guitarist.

btw I really want to see Green Day live some day .
see the problem with dragon force is not so much that they "suck" they're great at the guitar, they just try so hard to be flashy and forget about making good music. And i dont get whats wrong with trivium, they're amazing, except their new album sounds waaay to much like metallica.
and Lp's ok

All the other baands u named suck tho, like fob, green day, simple plan
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by guitargod21136
see the problem with dragon force is not so much that they "suck" they're great at the guitar, they just try so hard to be flashy and forget about making good music. And i dont get whats wrong with trivium, they're amazing, except their new album sounds waaay to much like metallica.
and Lp's ok

All the other baands u named suck tho, like fob, green day, simple plan

And why do these bands suck? Really, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything I just want to hear more about yours and the rest of UG's opinions on these bands.
Why dosn't anyone understand that Dragonforce is over the top on purpose!!!
yes, they take their music seriously, but they like to have fun and not be all... oh yes, music music, quite quite, jolly.

Why is it a bad thing that a band likes to just enjoy themselves and the music they make?!?
Quote by European Son
Haha, is this some kind of guide to help new UGers with what to say and what not to say?

Not really lol. I encourage people to express their honest opinions about bands. This is mainly just to help me and others clarify why and why not bands are hated by UG. Another thing I'm wondering is why so many UG members dislike Sum 41.
Really the reason for a lot of this is that a lot of people listen to music for musicians who are actually good musicians, not just what sounds good or not, so when bands like green day and blink 182 come around and just mash the same powerchords over and over, those people dismiss it as crap, whether it sounds good or not.

I just don't really like that poppy kind of sound. I don't HATE those bands, I'd just rather not listen to them.
However I love nu-metal, which often uses simple/repetitive riffs, so I don't really care.
Quote by Megalomaniac16
Really the reason for a lot of this is that a lot of people listen to music for musicians who are actually good musicians, not just what sounds good or not, so when bands like green day and blink 182 come around and just mash the same powerchords over and over, those people dismiss it as crap, whether it sounds good or not.

I just don't really like that poppy kind of sound. I don't HATE those bands, I'd just rather not listen to them.
However I love nu-metal, which often uses simple/repetitive riffs, so I don't really care.

Yeah I can definetly understand the repetetiveness and how they sound kind of like Blink and Green Day. They don't sound all that poppy though, Chuck actually has a bit of a metal-punk sound to it. I haven't listened to their new cd yet though.

And I totally agree with the nu-metal statement .
Quote by DanRev
Pfft, its more trendy to stick up for those bands now.

Green Day >>>>> My Checmical Romace > Fall Out Boy > Simple Plan > Linkin Park

In my opinion.
What do you have against Linkin Park?

Linkin Park>>>>>>>> My Chemical Romance>Green Day>Fall Out Boy>Simple Plan

Linkin Park has more skill then any of these other bands IMO.
Quote by Megalomaniac16
Why dosn't anyone understand that Dragonforce is over the top on purpose!!!
yes, they take their music seriously, but they like to have fun and not be all... oh yes, music music, quite quite, jolly.

Why is it a bad thing that a band likes to just enjoy themselves and the music they make?!?

Im with you dude.. dragonfrce does very well in my oppinion..
Quote by IcePh0enix
What do you have against Linkin Park?

Linkin Park>>>>>>>> My Chemical Romance>Green Day>Fall Out Boy>Simple Plan

Linkin Park has more skill then any of these other bands IMO.

Guitar skill? Sure. Songwriting talent? No.
LMAO Mike Shinoda is one of the greatest lyricists of all time. Pete Wentz is really good too but comparing Billie Joe to them is like comparing Mike Dirnt to Flea.
Quote by IcePh0enix
LMAO Mike Shinoda is one of the greatest lyricists of all time. Pete Wentz is really good too but comparing Billie Joe to them is like comparing Mike Dirnt to Flea.

Seriously? No, far from it in my opinion. I know lyricists who are far better than him. I think his lyrics are so generic and boring it's frustrating.

What's good about Green Day is that they have extremely catchy hooks and some pretty good lyrics as he finds new way to come across what he wants to say. His lyrics are far better than any other modern pop-punk band out there in my opinion. And Linkin Park have been doing the same thing since their debut and having changed one single detail. Again, my opinion.
Personally, I think Shinoda is a decent lyricist, but honestly, MCR has much deeper lyrics than either Shinoda or Green Day. I might be saying this just because I'm a MCR fanboy, but if you actually read some of MCRs better songs, you'll see that they aren't really emo lyric-wise. They may come across emo because of their look and their excessive application of eyeshadow, but honestly, their lyrics aren't emo, and I personally think they're incredible.
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
Quote by European Son
Seriously? No, far from it in my opinion. I know lyricists who are far better than him. I think his lyrics are so generic and boring it's frustrating.

What's good about Green Day is that they have extremely catchy hooks and some pretty good lyrics as he finds new way to come across what he wants to say. His lyrics are far better than any other modern pop-punk band out there in my opinion. And Linkin Park have been doing the same thing since their debut and having changed one single detail. Again, my opinion.

Most Green Day songs sound extremely similar. They do have great hooks but that's almost all they have. Linkin Park is unique in so many ways and is much more complex then Green Day.

If you listen to Minutes to Midnight and read the lyrics along I guarantee your views on Mike Shinoda as a songwriter will be changed. Especially the song Hands Held High.

I'm an MCR fanboy too btw .