http://youtube.com/watch?v=_uXJL3w2rH0

This is a cowboy job if I've ever did see one. It seems that that a customer wanted a "reliced Jaco bass", and the shop seems to be attempting a relic job on a Fender MIM Jazz. They seem to offer a relic service but obviously have NO clue what they are doing. They suggest to use gaffer tape to hide the routing. Also, they just generally seem like twats! Let's just hope they offered it free, and not charged for such a crap job.

For all you London, UK people out there, the shop is Eric Lindsey Music Shop in Catford, London.
Oh Christ... do they realize that if Jaco's bass had a poly finish it wouldn't be relic'd? Damn...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by shut_up_you_***
...in Catford, London.

Explains everything.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
At least they had fun!

And in the end, that's what life is all about.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But ruined someone's bass in the process.

Oh... then I sincerely hope they die a painful death.

And why tape it?
Quote by Lendorav

And why tape it?

Because they are master criminals.

This is why I only go to shops I trust. "I wanna put gaffa tape over that hole" FFS.

And the comments are even wierder :

Look tit-muncher, it has no pickup bay window, it costs far to much to fit upvc double glazing to a guitar of this caliber,

mate you're on basschat. Mabye if you'd checked the thread you'd have seen this:

Quote by GUY WHO OWNS SHOP IN QUESTION
Hi all

Thanks for the verbal... lets set a few things straight...

-The bass had just been bought by one of the staff doing the 'relicing'
-We knew it was a mexican and not an american.... and all about the routing differences
-It was not a request from a customer and we would never do this to a customers bass for money
-The member of staff in question prefered the finished article
-It was a lot of fun to do and we were taking the p@ss "trying to make it look like Jaco's"

If any of you fancy a real relic.. we've got a lovely custom shop one in...

Cheers

..... you may now resume the abuse

now dunno about u but i think it's a bit tight to not go to someone's shop because they reliced their own bass on the premesis.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Oh dear....I thought it was plain retarded and funny until I realised they were pro's, then I felt bad for the guy who's bass it was.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Well, they did say "input jack", which is enough for me to not wanna do business there... Also, I live light years away, which is also a reason.

I just can't believe how haphazardly you can "work" with a file and a sanding block.
Quote by sammcl-15
Oh dear....I thought it was plain retarded and funny until I realised they were pro's, then I felt bad for the guy who's bass it was.

oh how awful, he must have felt so heartbroken when he put that file on his OWN BASS!!!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
mate you're on basschat. Mabye if you'd checked the thread you'd have seen this:

now dunno about u but i think it's a bit tight to not go to someone's shop because they reliced their own bass on the premesis.

This quote from sums up my feeling on the matter.

Ah, well you're one of the few people who found it obvious that this was their bass. To me it looked like it wasn't.
We've had an explanation now. I wanted to know which shop it was so that I as a consumer could opt not to shop there. Someone else found out which shop it was and told me in the thread. I think some of the youtube comments were over-the-top. I also think it was a daft business move to put that video - without any explanation - on youtube.
Wow just wow. I just hope the owner of that bass didn't get a big bill do get that done and I hope he kicked their ass.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by eddiehimself
oh how awful, he must have felt so heartbroken when he put that file on his OWN BASS!!!

Own bass or not, it doesn't change the fact that the bloody bass he's relicing simply has the wrong type of finish on it to give it proper relic treatment. It's like trying to make stained glass windows out of sea shells. If you had a bass like that and gigged it every day for 30 years it would never look like that and you could never get it too look like that (read: Geddy Lee's bass).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by progbass
in the words of Bill and Ted:

MOST EPIC FAIL

yes we were all thinking it