Ok, I'm trying to make sure I'm in tip-top shape- going for the army. BUT

I can easily get well over 150 pushups, just as much situps, little over 10 pull ups, but

I CANT run... I'm not overweight, but about a month ago (before I started working out hard) I did eat a loot of fast food (like once every week) and junk food. I eat great now though, so I doubt that's the problem... Any tips?

I can sprint really fast, but HORRIBLE stamina, after about 5 minutes (slightly fast than jogging) I become tired and heavy breathing, and by about 10 I think I'm going to die. I try to do more every day but for a good couple weeks now, i just can't do it...

Can anyone give me some tips for endurance? I think I have a pretty short stride so I can stretch that out a bit but I need help please

Thanks
keep pumping your arms when you run. if you push them down faster when your legs are gettng tired the momentum sort of forces your body to keep going. follow me?
uhhh
Breathe through your nose, not your mouth
And just keep running. Start off doing twenty minutes a day at a normal jog then work your way up to fast jogging.
Oh noes!
def. lengthen your stride, it works wonders
I sometimes catch myself taking little bitty steps which means I go nowhere
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
its also different muscle types. some people just arent built for endurance running. like you said, you're a good sprinter. but if you're going into service, you're going to be doing A LOT of running, which i guess sucks. all i can suggest is get yourself on a stair master. those things are a BRUTAL workout and build endurance really quick.
Quote by xxtrigger
uhhh
Breathe through your nose, not your mouth
And just keep running. Start off doing twenty minutes a day at a normal jog then work your way up to fast jogging.

why would you breath through two very small holes rather than one big one? thats just stupid.

if you want to gain stamina eat things with lots of carbs, and just keep at it. set realistic goals for yourself, and then try to achieve them. most of all just run, its the only way to get where you're going.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
doesnt matter what kinda shape you're in, that only affects your speed. for stamina you need a strong heart so run often to practice. in gym class last week i had to run 5 kilometers, i did it in 32 min which was pretty embarassing since i was slower than the girls. im just happy that when we start doing weight lifting im gonna be grillin em all.
I forgot to ask.
Do you smoke?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Do you smoke? Don't if you do.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Like shredding, start slow, use a metronone. Then, when the time comes...UNLEASH THE FUCKING FURY!
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Hm, go at your own pace for a short distance, then just increase the distance you run like every other week.
You have to open the gate of opening. After that, your muscle's will have no limitations. It really works. It's how Gaara first got injured, and that's no small feat.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by Kirk_Hetfield
Ok, I'm trying to make sure I'm in tip-top shape- going for the army. BUT

I can easily get well over 150 pushups, just as much situps, little over 10 pull ups, but

I CANT run... I'm not overweight, but about a month ago (before I started working out hard) I did eat a loot of fast food (like once every week) and junk food. I eat great now though, so I doubt that's the problem... Any tips?

I can sprint really fast, but HORRIBLE stamina, after about 5 minutes (slightly fast than jogging) I become tired and heavy breathing, and by about 10 I think I'm going to die. I try to do more every day but for a good couple weeks now, i just can't do it...

Can anyone give me some tips for endurance? I think I have a pretty short stride so I can stretch that out a bit but I need help please

Thanks

i find it hard to believe that you can do 150 push ups but only 10 pull ups.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Trapman870
why would you breath through two very small holes rather than one big one? thats just stupid.

if you want to gain stamina eat things with lots of carbs, and just keep at it. set realistic goals for yourself, and then try to achieve them. most of all just run, its the only way to get where you're going.

because it works...

it keeps your breathing regulated an rhythmic, keeps you from like huffing and puffing unnecessarily (making your lungs tired) and keeps your heart rate slightly lower.
Quote by Trapman870

+1
lots of carbs for energy, but complex carbs, breads, pasta etc, and lost of protein to build muscle.
no i dont smoke

And awesome ref to shredding right there lol

And I'm sorry, I just noticed the bodybuilding thread after i posted this!

And I'll definitly get those carbs in me, and I'm pretty sure I can get a used stairmaster off my buddy for cheap (all I have now is a treadmill)

Well thanks so far guys! Anyone else has anything to say i'd be glad to hear it!
don't breathe through your nose, thats a myth. just slowly work your way up slowly in time. lengthen your stride and take it easy at first, and gradually speed up if you can.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Quote by Trapman870

The first thing this guy said is 100% not true and has no idea on that one. But the second part is true.

I have ran several marathons. First of all you need to pace yourself, going fast off the bat will just tire you out fast, 5-7 mph is a good speed. Take giant breaths through your nose then slowly release through your mouth, you take in more oxygen this way. Make sure to stretch, obviously. Eat foods with carbs before you go running, don't eat fat or protein those require a lot of energy from your body. Don't drink cold water, your body must heat the cold liquids, wasting valuable energy. If you get tired, put your hands behind your head, or bend over and put your hands on your knees, you take in more oxygen. Make sure to wear light clothes, and running shoes. And uh that is all I can think of.

EDIT: And make sure to keep your arms swinging the entire time.
Here's what to do (this improved my mile time by 3 mins):
Run for 15 mins straight nonstop around a track at a pace you THINK you can keep the whole time. Force yourself as hard as you can to not stop. You might feel like dying at first.
Next, jog 20 minutes if you can. Remember not to stop!
After about a year of this, I ran from 10 minute miles to 8 minutes on my first run. The next few miles I ran got shorter and shorter until it hit the 7 minute mark!

This should help your endurance.
you dont have to run to get a good cartio workout, all you need to do is keep your heart rate up. it seems you could get a more effective workout from walking.
And one more thing, you said that you are running everyday. Don't do this, you are pushing your body too much. If you take rest days and run about 4 days a week, you will see much better results.
Quote by Zodiax04
The first thing this guy said is 100% not true and has no idea on that one. But the second part is true.

I have ran several marathons. First of all you need to pace yourself, going fast off the bat will just tire you out fast, 5-7 mph is a good speed. Take giant breaths through your nose then slowly release through your mouth, you take in more oxygen this way. Make sure to stretch, obviously. Eat foods with carbs before you go running, don't eat fat or protein those require a lot of energy from your body. Don't drink cold water, your body must heat the cold liquids, wasting valuable energy. If you get tired, put your hands behind your head, or bend over and put your hands on your knees, you take in more oxygen. Make sure to wear light clothes, and running shoes. And uh that is all I can think of.

EDIT: And make sure to keep your arms swinging the entire time.

i know you can't be completely wrong, since you know your stuff, but i thought it was better to stand straight up when you were done so you could get oxygen to your lungs easier. bending over and putting your hands on your knees just cramps everything up and gives you less oxygen
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Quote by rhcpfan27
i know you can't be completely wrong, since you know your stuff, but i thought it was better to stand straight up when you were done so you could get oxygen to your lungs easier. bending over and putting your hands on your knees just cramps everything up and gives you less oxygen

To be honest I'm not even sure if bending over works lol, that is just what my cross country coach told me, but I know that putting your hands behind your head and stretching your abs helps you take in much more oxygen.
take your mp3 player when you run because it helps to take your mind off stopping if its a good workout song, it will help you go harder.

And again, are you doing the push ups off your knees or toes? Because 150 push ups is a hell of a lot.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by Zodiax04
To be honest I'm not even sure if bending over works lol, that is just what my cross country coach told me, but I know that putting your hands behind your head and stretching your abs helps you take in much more oxygen.

i agree with the second part, thats what my coach says. i'm not exactly a noob to running either, my 5ks at a 17:42
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Keep running. Work on your breathing and pace counting. Work out a routine, and when it becomes easy to finish, step it up a notch.

Also, stretch the SHIT out of your legs and back before you run. Stretch for a good 20 minutes. Feet, calves, shins, quads, hamstrings, upper thighs, groin, ass, lower back. Throw some arms in there too to mix it up a bit.

Another thing: RUNNING SHOES. It's very important for a runner to take care of his or her feet. Get a name brand shoe company that makes models designed for running. Cheaper shoes just don't cut it. Asics and Salomon make great running shoes.

Also, get insoles if you've got even semi-flat arches.

Stand in front of a mirror that's level and perpendicular to the ground. Roll your pants leg up and stand on a flat surface (not carpet) with your feet shoulder width apart. If your ankles appear to roll inward (called pronation, which 80% of the population does), then you've got flat or semi-flat arches. If they roll outward (suppination), see a doctor.

If your 2nd toe is longer than your big toe (called Morton's Toe) get a shoesize 1/2 bigger than you normally would to accomodate for elongation when you step.

Footwear is critical when doing something that puts stress on your feet and arches.
Last edited by skeptopotamus at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by rhcpfan27
i agree with the second part, thats what my coach says. i'm not exactly a noob to running either, my 5ks at a 17:42

5k in 17:42? That is reall good. Mine is like 22:00 lol.
And again, are you doing the push ups off your knees or toes? Because 150 push ups is a hell of a lot.

Well thats mah bad... Those 150 is crappy form.. I really just do those before i go to bed as like extra-surity im doing the most i can.

Perfect form, arms parralel to ground during work-out time, i get around 110... I took Tae-Kwon-Do a couple years back (I was only like 12-15) and they made you do a good hundred there so I'm used to the pushup thing
And yea, what skeptopotamus said is right, good running shoes and light clothing will help a TON. I've seen a kid try to run in skateboarding shoes and get tired to fast lol.
Quote by breadstick
i find it hard to believe that you can do 150 push ups but only 10 pull ups.

Different muscle groups perhaps?

Anyways something that's really good for stamina is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Find a hill that goes up at about a 15 degree angle (or more) and sprint up it as fast as you can (keeping the intensity up). Then when you get to the top (or slightly short of the top, depending on your fitness level), jog or walk back down. Repeat this about 5-8 times. You get the same/better results than a moderate pace cardio workout and in a shorter time period of about 10-15 minutes per workout.

It really helps with stamina.
I think there's a fitness/Body building thread somewere if you found that you could probably get more info there than here. But to help you (i'm getting in shape for the army too) run on an empty stomach, the best time would be when you've just woken up, and run a short distance say 1.5ks and build from there. When you get back home eat toast or something with carbs, so you body will have burnt some fat and it'll burn the carbs you eat easier aswell. Also with push ups and what not, do them every other day so your muscle can build its self back up. Good luck man
Kind of stupid having a well developed torso but then you have chicken legs...and then you said stamina so it wasn't the case lol. What you are doing is cardio, btw :P so take it slow and last as long as you can( not walking). And sometimes slow down and take a rest but don't stop
Firstly i'm fat! but i can run for ages for my size!
My football coach said just slowly jog as far as you can every day until it gets easy then start to speed up