Ok so I've been playing for awhile now, and my pick of choice has always been a 1.0mm tortex, a rather thick pick, good for lead. But I've recently joined a band in which I'm playing rhythm, so although the 1.0 works, I think a thinner pick would be more appropriate. So I went out and bought some .71mm gator grips. Anyways, after a couple of hours of playing, my pick was worn out like crazy. I mean it'd take over a month to wear out my tortex as much as i did the gator grip in a couple hrs. Now granted, the gator grip is thinner, so it wears faster, but still, it just seems a bit ridiculous, I've always heard that gator grips are just tortexes with better grip, but I'm starting to doubt that.

So anyways, the main point it.. Whats the difference between tortexes and Gator grips anyways? Obviously the gator grip has a better grip so it doesn't slip, but it seems less hard even when it's the same gauge as it's tortex counterpart, and it seems to wear faster. Anyways, if anyone actually does know if theres any difference between them besides the grip it'd be appreciated.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
I've had a bunch of tortexes for about 1.5 years now and the only ones showing wear are the .50mm ones. I use those for strumming with my acoustic.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
can you not just buy 1.0mm gators? if your used to 1.0mm's dont change just coz your playing rhythm
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
I recently changed from Tortex to Gators and noticed the Gators wear quicker, even though I was using thicker ones than I was with the Tortexs. So IMO, the Gators must be softer as well.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
can you not just buy 1.0mm gators? if your used to 1.0mm's dont change just coz your playing rhythm

I strum very hard, so having a pick that doesn't bend is bad for me when down up sturmming chords, you get a kind of backlash. It sounds alright, but it sounds very raw, I'm just trying to get a better sound and I know a thinner pick will help with that.

Think I'll go with the yellow tortexes, .73mm i believe.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
If you're having trouble with picks I would have to say something's up with your picking technique. Other than a minute or two of adjustment when using a different pick I'm fine.
i find gatorgrips wear on me much less than the tortex ones... i serrate the tortex ones in a matter of minutes at times. gatrogrips can last for me almost indefinitely (though obviously they wear down, which i don't mind... i prefer it worn down to serrated, which can catch in the string).

I also like the grip. I suspect it's just personal preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?