ive seen these advertised many times in guitar world and several of my favorite guitarists endorce it. i looked into it and it seems pretty good but im still not 100% clear on the functions of each knob. hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. also, is worth the $100?
I have one. It's one of those things that you don't think makes a big difference until you turn it off. It kind of sounds like a blanket is over your amp when it is off. I have a really basic setup (Vox Wah->Fulltone 2->Sonic Stomp->Fender Blues Deluxe) and I think it was worth it.

As far as what the knobs do, I believe the left knob chooses the cutoff for the bass frequencies to be processed and the right knob is the overall amount of processing that is performed on the signal.
sucks the life out of your signal. get an eq pedal instead. it is after all just a lazy person's equalizer.
it's really a pedal that either goes in the effects loop or is on all the time, and it's awesome. I recommend it
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
The sonic stomp is not like an equilzer

it basically sounds like ur taking a blanket off the amp..i used one in my live rig for about a month but i found i got lost in the mix too much and it made my tube amp sound more solid state...

the thing with the bbe sonic maximizer's i find is everyone thinks they sound great at first...but then end up hateing em after a month or so

i personally would not recomend it, buy a good eq and throw it in ur loop and it will do wonders for your amp
Guitars- Gibson SG Stanadard (stock)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Emg 81/85

Amp- Marshall Jcm 2000 DSL/1960 Lead Cab

Pedals- Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS-9, Boss NS-2, Line 6 DL-4, Boss Ph-3, Boss GE-7
It's not like an EQ, it's like...a tone..improver...i sold mine though because i hardly use it on my Laney because it sounds great how it is.

Honestly, from my experience with it, it seems like it makes more of a difference on SS than Tube.

I would recommend it.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
^yea it does. on some amps. like fender frontmans. the amps which are muddy to start with gets a life.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I used to use the rackmount one for recordings but then we got an EQ and turning the EQ on and then the Maximizer, there was litterally no difference in tone, actually, it was better with the EQ.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
In my experience it "processed" out a lot of the finer nuances that make a good tube amp good in the first place. I think the statement above about getting lost in the mix hit the nail on the head. The BBE "corrects" a lot of the mid range depth that guitarists so often depend on.

On another note, I think it's hilarious how defensive new BBE owners can be about their purchase. I've been insulted (multiple times) on just about every level from new BBE owners because I don't share their opinion that it's the greatest thing since amplification. What's awkward is that I've never seen this level of "product defense" associated with anything else (only exception being cars of various makes).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I suggest you try it out, if possible.

I have a very similar amp and I've been wondering the same thing:P Let me know if you try it please.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by TehJermie
sucks the life out of your signal. get an eq pedal instead. it is after all just a lazy person's equalizer.

No, its not...its a completely different signal. It makes your signal clear. Its basically like taking a blanket off your amp

Quote by TehJermie
^ all it is is a very neutered equalizer. anyone who cant see that is a tard.

I dont think you understand what it does...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by kool98769
No, its not...its a completely different signal. It makes your signal clear. Its basically like taking a blanket off your amp

my equalizer does that without making my amp unresponsive and shrill sounding.
Quote by TehJermie
my equalizer does that without making my amp unresponsive and shrill sounding.

Is your brain broken?
You're a lost cause....
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well, i owned it, and i'm not offended if anyone does or doesn't like it, everyone has their own opinion, example: I really don't like Dimebag's tone, only a handful of people will agree with me, but that's my opinion.

So what i'm saying is, try it out, and if you like it, great, if not, find something you do.

Good luck!
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by Kendall
In my experience it "processed" out a lot of the finer nuances that make a good tube amp good in the first place. I think the statement above about getting lost in the mix hit the nail on the head. The BBE "corrects" a lot of the mid range depth that guitarists so often depend on.

On another note, I think it's hilarious how defensive new BBE owners can be about their purchase. I've been insulted (multiple times) on just about every level from new BBE owners because I don't share their opinion that it's the greatest thing since amplification. What's awkward is that I've never seen this level of "product defense" associated with anything else (only exception being cars of various makes).

As I said earlier, I have one and, at least currently, like it. I think I will take some time to really listen to how it affects the sound. I would love to take it back and save $100 while I still have time if I don't like the way it sounds. I really like the fact that it's TB and came with a power adaptor. I think it's kind of ridiculous that you can pay $100+ for a pedal and they can't throw in a cheap power adaptor.

On a side note, as a Miata owner I have definitely had to do my fair share of "product defense".
Epi Les Paul Standard with BB Pros
Vox 847A Wah->Fulltone Fulldrive 2->EHX Big Muff Pi->DD-3->EHX SMMwH->Fender Blues Deluxe
Quote by kool98769
Is your brain broken?
You're a lost cause....

you seem to think the sonic maximizer is some unique totally new invention in the world of guitar. yet your brain is too clouded and infantile to notice that its basically a stripped down concentrated equalizer. and a bad one at that.
Quote by SchecterGates
Well, i owned it, and i'm not offended if anyone does or doesn't like it, everyone has their own opinion, example: I really don't like Dimebag's tone, only a handful of people will agree with me, but that's my opinion.

So what i'm saying is, try it out, and if you like it, great, if not, find something you do.

Good luck!

Neither do I, don't see what's so great about it, especially in Pantera's earlier CDs... But it's all opinion I guess.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com

brother.

//becomes stalkerishly weird.

Yes, his tone is...can't think of a word to describe it..but..eh.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by SchecterGates

brother.

//becomes stalkerishly weird.

Yes, his tone is...can't think of a word to describe it..but..eh.

Haha
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think I am going to take it back. I dug out my first guitar the other day (Washburn Strat copy from 14 years ago). It's the first time I've played it in close to five years and I love it. My friend gave me his old Mexican Strat pickups a long time ago, so it sounds slightly better than stock. I'm going to use the money from the BBE to put towards some pickups for the Washburn. I hooked my Ibanez and I can't believe how much better I like the Washburn, at least right now. I will probably buy a real Strat at some point and move the pickups to it.

It's really making me question the LP I am planning to buy. I did test an American Strat versus the LP and I liked the LP better, though. Maybe it's the pickups in the Ibanez or something.
Epi Les Paul Standard with BB Pros
Vox 847A Wah->Fulltone Fulldrive 2->EHX Big Muff Pi->DD-3->EHX SMMwH->Fender Blues Deluxe
well, can anyone record a sample of bbe sonic stomp?
clean and overdrive, on and off.

so everyone can get a better idea of what's the sound with and without it? (including me )
Quote by Tweak88
well, can anyone record a sample of bbe sonic stomp?
clean and overdrive, on and off.

so everyone can get a better idea of what's the sound with and without it? (including me )

They have samples on their website.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've been running one throught my loop for a couple months now and when I first got it, I asked the band "which is better?" <played open A> with the BBE SS on, then played it with it off and four guys agreed that the first was much clearer and had more prescence.
Quote by ECistheBest
^yea it does. on some amps. like fender frontmans. the amps which are muddy to start with gets a life.

...Rangemaster?
Quote by MatrixClaw
They have samples on their website.

sorry man, i can't find anything... where exactly?
i saw some demonstrations, but says nothing about specific pedals
Quote by Tweak88
sorry man, i can't find anything... where exactly?
i saw some demonstrations, but says nothing about specific pedals

Online samples will not do the pedal justice (like 99% of online soundclips)
Its just one of those situations were you have to buy it and try it out for yourself.

Online sound clips from manufacturers are designed to do one thing - sell product. They are in perfect scenarios as well (Great vintage gear, pro players, and who knows what other factors are in the clip) They're not going to sound bad - of course; and are there to make you feel like it'll sound that good in yor rig, too.

I rarely rely on them for gear purchases. I use the old "buy it used and see if it works for me " method. If you dont buy it new, you probably wont lose your shirt if you resell it. Heck, you may even make money.

Just my thoughts from a guy who has owned wayyyyyyy too much gear, bro.
well i went to guitar center and like always, they didnt have what i was looking for. i asked the sales rep and once again like always, the idoit had no idea what i was talking about and even tried to sell me a bronze series warlock! said i was the kind of dude that looked like i would play one. i called him an idoit and went to the mesa's and plugged up a PRS Custom 22. i hate guitar center. im going to check out the used shops around town to see if they have one, if not, musicians friend has a good return policey
Last edited by lp_dude_2 at Sep 28, 2007,
Quote by mr_hankey
...Rangemaster?

rangemaster tends to add more of the high mids than the high treble. sonic stomp cleans up the sound by adding presence (high treble) and taking a little low mids off i guess. it's different. i prefer rangemaster.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Now, after trying it out on then off, try completely removing it from your chain. It'll be like a blanket was taken off your amp.
well went to guitar center today and as my BAD luck would have it, they were all out of B-52's. those amps never sell yet the day i go in needing one in store, there all out. well i talked to a sales rep about theire return policey and decided to go ahead and get the BBE Sonic Stomp and if i dont like it i can just return it. my new question is, what is yall's setting on it? i want to try out everyones setting to see what the knobs really do for different people.
Is "it's like taking a blanket off your amp" written on the box for this thing or something? That description had to be used four or five times in this thread.

Get a new metaphor, people!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Is "it's like taking a blanket off your amp" written on the box for this thing or something? That description had to be used four or five times in this thread.

Get a new metaphor, people!

It's like taking the pillow stuffing out from around the speaker??

My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

To fix phase distortion you have to remove harmonics to replace them. However good it sounds, you must realize it is, without a shadow of a doubt, degrading your original tone. It can sound better, and more power to you if it does, but it IS removing sometimes vital parts of your original signal.