long story short...moving into an apartment...looking to step up to a tube but dont need volume...ive played a ton of amps over the past few weeks...only cabs give me the sound i want....a heavy bassy sound...but only when turned up to a volume i wont be able to play at...so looking for a combo...mostly metal...with bassy sound a low volume....currently i own a line 6 that ill admit sounds not so great in the store...but a lot better in my bedroom...and it gives me that bassy sound...but when i play it in the store i get no bass....i guess this isnt a long story short...will most amps react this way?...ill get more bass once i get it in a smaller room...any recommendations?....im more concerned with it sounding great at low to moderate volumes....thanks
yeah... amps...really...wont....sound that much different. If you want good tube tone at low volumes, get an attenuator
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
its just weird...im really impressed with the bass response from my spider III 75 watt at home but playing it in a big store does nothing for me..so i was hoping that those little 15-30 watt tube amps with the 1 12" would give me that same bass response even though they sound not so bassy in the store....no walls to bounce off of
Many guitar stores have a small room for lessons. Ask them if you can try some amps out in there when they don't have any lessons.
ya ...i was thinking about that.....now any suggestions on low wattage amps that sound awesome?....also under $600...i just dont need the volume and cant see paying for it....ive tried and like the palominos by crate so far...but once again...didnt get the bass sound i wanted..
Quote by twinturboaudi
ya ...i was thinking about that.....now any suggestions on low wattage amps that sound awesome?....also under $600...i just dont need the volume and cant see paying for it....ive tried and like the palominos by crate so far...but once again...didnt get the bass sound i wanted..

Crate V series, Laney LC15, or a Peavey Classic 30 would be ones to look into. A used peavey 5150 with an attenuator would do the trick as well.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Check out the Epi VJ, very dark and bassy amps. Maybe check the Windsor combo when it comes out, it's got a headphone jack, that'll be useful.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
it also depends on the acoustics of the room like if you have a small room with thick carpets and curtins you'll get a better more full (bassyer) sound
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Laney are good tube amps on a budget.

If the cab is closed back it should have a more consistent sound in a variety of rooms, an open back cab will sound different in different rooms due to using the walls and stuff more to project the sound. I do believe closed back cabs usually have a tighter bass response tho
Bass is very much dependent on the amount of air in any given space and if a speaker has the capability to move all that air. The reason the spider sounds bassier at home is most lily due to the room at home being alot smaller than in the shop and thus a heck of a lot less air to move therefore more bass. essentially the bigger the space the more speakers will be required to move the air.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
thats what i thought....those laney amps are out for me...not sure if i can find one in the us...but i do like those palomino amps...not too expensive and sound really good...any experiences with those?
wouldn't a 30 or even a 15 watt tube combo still be too loud for apartment life? Why don't you get some crappy little 5 watter and use a pedal, you're gonnna need a pedal for metal anyway with any small tube combo.
^i think 5 tube watts is too loud for an apartment. something like a microcube would be best. unless you dont mind neighbors bitching at you everyday.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
wouldn't a 30 or even a 15 watt tube combo still be too loud for apartment life? Why don't you get some crappy little 5 watter and use a pedal, you're gonnna need a pedal for metal anyway with any small tube combo.

What would make you think a 5 watt tube amp is crappy? is a 1/2 watt tube amp shitty?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
no no....i dont care how many watts it has...i just need it to sound good a lower volumes...basically im not going to buy a 40 watt tube if a 15 watt tube will sound better at lower volumes, but my main concern is the bass response...i dont want it to be all highs and mids...and thats a big hell no on the micro cube
my open back bandit gets more bass response when played pushed against a wall. i think the spider is open back? i can't remember but i used to own one.
Quote by twinturboaudi
thats what i thought....those laney amps are out for me...not sure if i can find one in the us...but i do like those palomino amps...not too expensive and sound really good...any experiences with those?

Wait. Patiently.

The time is nearly upon us, the age of the Peavey Windsor Studio!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Crate V series,.

Not so much for that thick bassy closed-back cabinet sound he is talking about in the first post - the V series sounds more vintage tweed-ish
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster