Page 1 of 3
I DO!!!

Okay, as some of you know, I am working at the USA Fender plant. Right now, I am building bass and guitar necks. mainly assembling truss rods and making them disappear in the necks of teles and basses (p and j basses)

F.A.Q's

Q: Can you get me a deal on _________?
A: No

Q:Why?
A: Because you're lame.

Q:I know that, but what is the real reason?
A: Because, Fender hires through Temp Agencies, so technically, I am not an employee of Fender. Yet. Most people get hired on in a month, and then I can get discounts.

Q: so then, can you get me __________?
A: Go away. . .

Anyways, Discuss, ill be happy to answer serious, legitimate questions.

EDIT: here is a picture of some necks. it was really the only one i could snap.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Last edited by tubadude at Sep 24, 2007,
Will you EVER be able to get me ANYTHING, Austin?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Roidster
who cares!!!!!!!............. talk to me when your on the Jackson floor

i work next to them . . . I had probably 30 neck thrus waiting to have the wings glued on. . .

interested now?

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Roidster

Go away noob! grats on job sounds cool!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
get more flix.

seen any james root's teles?
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
Quote by StratPat
Can I have one.. please?

R3@D FAX!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
How do you get a job at a place like that? I always wondered...
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by CM_X5
How do you get a job at a place like that? I always wondered...

Well, I walked into the place (since it was about 2 miles from where i used to work) and asked about employment. they gave me a paper with about 8 temp agencies on it. called one of them up, and they said "we have openings" and im working. i was going to be a tuner tester, basically i am the one who would say "this guitar is a fender, have fun n00bs at GC across the world!" and put it in the box. but the supervisor never called my agent back about it. i think the job was filled from someone in house.

Quote by SteveBeginner
get more flix.

seen any james root's teles?

Not sure. the most complete Tele i saw was the neck being cut from the band saw. I didnt catch what model. but i was working on a Tony Franklin Fretted Jazz bass on friday. it takes a different truss rod than the other basses. which caught my interest.

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Sep 24, 2007,
That's a pretty cool job, so do you get shifted from area to area or will you just stay with building the necks until you become an official employee?
Nice job! Wish I could build stuff

A word of caution though : the last guy who said he worked at a factory (Gibson) got banned for no apparent reason..
Quote by Don_Humpador
Nice job! Wish I could build stuff

A word of caution though : the last guy who said he worked at a factory (Gibson) got banned for no apparent reason..

He was posting from a Swedish IP which belonged to a previously banned user or something, I think that's why...

Congrats on the job!
Lucky!

Congrats on getting a job there
That has to rock.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by kyrreca
He was posting from a Swedish IP which belonged to a previously banned user or something, I think that's why...

Congrats on the job!

Ah right - thanks for clearing it up..
Do any rivalries with other big companies like Gibson ever show their head? Any plans to play pranks on them?
You know what would be mildly funny. Write 'Made by Gibson' on one of those necks before they're put on. If theguy ever removes the neck it would be funny as hell.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by tubadude
i work next to them . . . I had probably 30 neck thrus waiting to have the wings glued on. . .

interested now?

Tell Jackson to get their asses in gear and make their custom shop pieces worth the $3,000+ and to get them out in less then two years. /end rant. Seriously, cool job. So, are the MIM necks made in the factory and shipped down to Mexico like itsbeen suggested?
Why do you work at Fender when you're such a Washburn fan?

On a more serious note, how do you shape the necks? Do you use CNC routers the whole way? Or is it done by hand?

And when the hell will Fender make a contoured heel? Fenders are great, but they've got ****ing huge neck joints. Why can't they make more Ibanez-style ones?

Give advice to future ax builders.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by DevilMayCare
That's a pretty cool job, so do you get shifted from area to area or will you just stay with building the necks until you become an official employee?

I am curious about that too. when i forst got there, i was putting graphite support rods in necks, then moved on the truss rods. I asked the guy who was showing me around, and he said he has done everything there is to do in the mill. so I think ill be moving around when needed. today i may be putting frets in, i dont quite know.

Quote by Sun-burst
are there really a lot of mexicans at the factory?

Yes. . . and alot of people who dont play guitar. i was suprised. but the mexicans are people who were born here, they speak pretty good english.

Quote by kaptink
Do any rivalries with other big companies like Gibson ever show their head? Any plans to play pranks on them?

No idea

Quote by sashki
Why do you work at Fender when you're such a Washburn fan?

On a more serious note, how do you shape the necks? Do you use CNC routers the whole way? Or is it done by hand?

And when the hell will Fender make a contoured heel? Fenders are great, but they've got ****ing huge neck joints. Why can't they make more Ibanez-style ones?

Give advice to future ax builders.

Washburn is about 1300 miles away, thats a long way to commute.

the necks are shaped on a CNC, then sanded down so you dont have little ridges. its faster, like 3 minutes to do 8 necks at a time, or something like that. but they are cut out by hand.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Roidster

lol, yeah..
-----
\m/
Good job to have. Can i have a free Tele? PLZZZZ!!! (j/k, in case people didn't realise)

Sadly there aren't many opportunities like that for me in the UK... I suppose there's still a few amp companies, other than that in the way of guitars we only really have Gordon Smith and possibly Burns.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I havnt touched that section of the necks yet, when im touching them, its a 2x4 with a neck drawn backwards on it. i think its a rosewood, but ill see if i can get over there today and see for sure.

and not sure on the finish. i just make them, not finish them.

Quote by steven seagull
congratulations, austin, great news!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I read this once:
MIM Fender's are made by Mexicans in Mexico, MIA by Mexicans in the US...

Anyway awesome dude!

But shouldn't you be working at Washburn?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Haha I think I saw that quote on another forum.
Anyways, awesome job! Congrats!
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
if you steal a jaguar and post it to me you can sleep with my girlfriend. if she resists just spray her in the face with mace and shout "do what i say, b*tch!" she'll start crying and stuff but she'll stop the fight
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
she's russian... they're into that crazy stuff
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
interesting.

oh, and because this is UG, and no-one has said it yet, in answer to the original question: your mom.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey congratz on the job, I'm sending in app's this week to a few different guitar luther schools, with that college training would it help me get hired at one of these places and give me a shot at moving up to custom shop level?
Take some pics of the maple necks!
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
is it true that you cannot find actual fender replacement necks as in buy one new? i'm interested in putting my own telecaster together or strat or P-bass havent made up my mind was thinking used body and brand new neck but i heard you cannot buy brand new fender necks.

umm and can you PM me your answer or PM me when i get a reply please?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Man, tubadude! If you can smuggle out a blem Alder strat body, I will *sex you.

*sex = send $50 to
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Page 1 of 3