how do they differ....

and is basswood not as good as Mahogany, as commonly mentioned?

Disscuss anything you want about wood!

To mods: this could become a sticky ... all about wood...
Last edited by petrina_678 at Sep 24, 2007,
Theres no good, bad, better wood argument really. Each kind of wood resonates differently and thus produces a different sound which is then a matter of preference. You either like the sound from any given wood or you dont.

Mahogany is heavy and dark sounding, lots of low mid and bass frequencies are enhanced by the wood leading to an overall fat sound produced by the wood.

Bass wood is a lighter wood and accentuated the higher mids and some of the lower highs whilst still having a nicely balanced low end which makes it cut through the mix nicely.

Everyone has a different idea of what is the perfect wood setup for them just play some instruments unplugged and really listen to how each wood sounds. It shouldnt take a trained ear to figure out whats going on with the sound.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at Sep 24, 2007,
Sticky about woods?
Just throwing an idea...
Hell is empty. All the devils are here. - William Shakespeare
This thread wont be stickied, there was a thread last week that was VERY informative and had descriptions on all the commonly used woods and alot of the less-used woods for necks, fretboards and body wood.

And that wasnt stickied.

EDIT:

My preference is mahogony over basswood, I think basswood is not a great wood for guitar, there are better woods in tone aspects.
What if a guitar was made out of Jarrah? That would be weird, I'm only asking since my middle name is Jarrah lol
www.myspace.com/nirvana_rox_ryda_j

Quote by Ovenman
Women don't sh*t.
There's no toilet in the kitchen.

Quote by Yan Yan
!

This thread was made back when i had my old 06 account.

Quote by ryda_jay_1991
What if a guitar was made out of Jarrah? That would be weird, I'm only asking since my middle name is Jarrah lol

That would be weird. Jarrah is mostly used for furniture.

Mahogany tends to be a darker and more resonant wood with punchy bass and mids but a bit subtle in the highs Goes great with maple to accentuate highs that the mahogany lacks.

Basswood is a light weight wood that is very soft and has quite dominating midrange but not much sustain and small envelope.

Mahogany is actually probably the better from the two because it is resonant and pleasant and when paired with maple, it really shines. If you are still using this in conjunction with the Schecter VS Ibanez thread you made, Schecter would be better than a basswood Ibanez!!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
MDF ftw!!

we thought about that when we did our design and tech project haha

i've ordered my custom ran with alder because i fancied something that is not as warm as my LP so i can use it for metal etc.

mahogany is great for midgain leads as it really sings
think slash's solos and you're pretty much there with the kind of tone mahogany can produce
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Im building a jem copy right now out of alder. The body doesnt weigh all that much which i really like, but it is a little heavier then the body of my JS1000(its basswood). I see basswood more and more on signature series and metal series guitars, not that im saying one is better then the other. I have never really demoed a mahogany guitar but Warmoth is the best tone guide i have seen.
I'm going to be honest, I think Basswood can't compare to Mahogany. I had a Washburn Dime2ST and the mahogany body and neck were amazing. Its a much thicker and textured sound, and tends to be more "full". Basswood isn't bad, but all ranges can be slightly muffled at times unless you have pickups that really cut trough the mids like EMGs. Basswood is however lighter (hence why I still have my Charvel and RG, and not the Dime hehe). Basswood is also much softer and not as durable. I just prefer mahogany for the character of the sound, though I wood say Basswood is excellent for pickups like EMGs or really high output pickups.
People who say basswood has no sustain have no clue what they are talking about. Ibanez makes their guitars out of basswood because it is cheaper, lighter, and still has a good tone. The S series is made of mahogany because they are so thin and they mahogany helps warm the tone up, where most RGs are on average 2 inches thick. Anyone who says a mahogany guitar is better than a basswood guitar is a downright fool, same with any other wood because they all produce different tones and have different uses.

I play a mahogany bodied RG520QS just so I don't seem biased I'll tell you that.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
morning wood has the best tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ sexual innuendo or am i just not in with the wood lingo?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
morning wood has the best tone.
True that, unless it belongs to that girl you took home yesterday after having a few too many far too quickly.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ sexual innuendo or am i just not in with the wood lingo?

Quote by pifty
True that, unless it belongs to that girl you took home yesterday after having a few too many far too quickly.

o_O

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by samtewari
MDF ftw!!

we thought about that when we did our design and tech project haha

i've ordered my custom ran with alder because i fancied something that is not as warm as my LP so i can use it for metal etc.

mahogany is great for midgain leads as it really sings
think slash's solos and you're pretty much there with the kind of tone mahogany can produce

you've ordered an explorer with an alder body? im sorry, but WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?!?!?!? ****in' alder bodied explorer... BLASPHEMY!!!

are you trying to say you can't play metal on a mahogany guitar? cos you have a metallica avatar, and Hetfield uses mahogany pretty much exclusively, its why his rhythm tone has the chunkzorzz.

i cant believe you've ordered an alder bodied explorer.. whats happening to the world.....

EDIT: AN ALDER BODIED EXPLORER WITH A FLOYD? AAAARGHGHRHGHA!!!!!!! *dies of anger*
Last edited by cheames at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
People who say basswood has no sustain have no clue what they are talking about. Ibanez makes their guitars out of basswood because it is cheaper, lighter, and still has a good tone. The S series is made of mahogany because they are so thin and they mahogany helps warm the tone up, where most RGs are on average 2 inches thick. Anyone who says a mahogany guitar is better than a basswood guitar is a downright fool, same with any other wood because they all produce different tones and have different uses.

I play a mahogany bodied RG520QS just so I don't seem biased I'll tell you that.

Basswood has less sustain than Mahogany, Alder, or Ash. Ibanez use the cheapest, lightest and easiest to machine wood. Ibanez mahogany is not the same thing as Gibson mahogany. Whatever species of mahogany Ibanez uses is much less dense than Gibson stuff. Ibanez is basically cheap shit, but you should know that since you say you play one.
Quote by eyesonly
Basswood has less sustain than Mahogany, Alder, or Ash. Ibanez use the cheapest, lightest and easiest to machine wood. Ibanez mahogany is not the same thing as Gibson mahogany. Whatever species of mahogany Ibanez uses is much less dense than Gibson stuff. Ibanez is basically cheap shit, but you should know that since you say you play one.

dude you bumbed a year old thread to bash ibanez and praise gibson
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by eyesonly

actually gibson uses heavy mahogany because the good light stuff is too dear. (though i suspect ibanez isn't using the light honduran stuff either)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow, obviously there isn't very many luthiers in this forum anymore...

Density affects the tone of different woods, along with the oil content. Notice how Walnut and Mahogany have a similar tone? There are many alternatives to the common tonewoods that sound just as good, if not better, than the regular ones.

I think Walnut is a better tonewood than Mahogany. The only reason that they haven't mass-produced Walnut guitars because there isn't a large supply of it. Yes, they make a lot of basses from it, but there's probably 15 guitars sold for every bass. Any questions about Walnut I can probably answer haha. Sry I used Walnut in the example above, but it's one of my favorite woods to use for a guitar body. Works very easy and has a nice smell to it too, but too bad it burns really easily. Then again, most hardwoods burn easily anyways

Anyways, back on subject

I never did care for basswood (A.K.A Cottonwood, A.K.A Flaxwood). It is a cheap and soft wood, and it's so ugly. It has no figure and usually has nasty green mineral-streaks through it. I never did understand why they used it for guitar bodies, other than it was cheap and readily available. We received a large supply of cottonwood logs to saw once (My family has a circular sawmill.) We had to stop and sharpen the teeth soo many times, the fibers in the wood hold onto water really well. You could actually see a thin line of water in front of the blade whenever we made a pass. When the sawtooth would hit the fibers, the sawdust and water combo would make an abrasive substance that just dulled the teeth crazy fast.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 20, 2008,
Quote by cheames
you've ordered an explorer with an alder body? im sorry, but WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?!?!?!? ****in' alder bodied explorer... BLASPHEMY!!! ...

gibson used to make some of em out of swamp ash too. It's nothing new.
According to John Suhr, Basswood and flamed maple is the best combination of tonewoods.
Quote by eyesonly

I think it's common knowledge that the lighter Mahogany is actually better...
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 20, 2008,
Actually, I have a mahogany SG and a basswood BC Rich Bich and the Bich has way better sustain than the SG. It also has a maple neck and ebony fretboard, so I am sure it is not just the body wood that is affecting tone (not to mention the different pickups). But I was suprised at how good the Basswood guitar sounds, so I think there's no point arguing about wood types-- it's the combination of all the materials used and electronics that make the sound.