In light of the frequent posts about multi FX, how to turn knobs, "can't get this, that and the other sound to play this song" etc...I just thought I'd drop in this little snippiet from the Dave Murray article on the front page

Quote by Mr Dave Murray of the Iron Maidens
What is your current live set-up when it comes to guitars, amps and any effects?

I use mainly Fender Strats, some new 100 watt Marshall heads, a Wah Wah pedal and a Marshall JFX-1 effects rack. So I basically have a pedal board that gives me the ability to dial up any sound I want. With Maiden because there are a lot of rhythm parts, especially on the heavy rhythm side of things, I can just kick on a button and have a solo sound or a have a clean sound or whatever. I basically though try and keep four or five sounds preset onstage and just use them solely

Just something to keep in mind
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
very true ^+1
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

i actually get my best tones when my amp is off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would generally have a preferred clean tone, crunchy tone and higher gain tone
then alter it if it just doesn't sound right for what I'm playing
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
yep, to be serious for a second, me too. I have clean, crunch (e.g. classic rock/heavier blues), 80's crunch (thrash/hair metal/hard rock), and t3h br00talz.

And then a solo setting with more mids.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got one sound: amp on 8, no pedals, control everything on the guitar. It gets me all the different sounds I need.

When I have to keep the volume down, I use an OD pedal instead. I do obviously have more sounds, but I don't use them much.
Quote by mr_hankey
I've got one sound: amp on 8, no pedals, control everything on the guitar. It gets me all the different sounds I need.

When I have to keep the volume down, I use an OD pedal instead. I do obviously have more sounds, but I don't use them much.

I do the same thing!

I get all the different sounds just controlling my guitar, with no pedals, or changing settings.

My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by mr_hankey

lol derek trucks status.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I pretty much have the same as Dave , clean, overdriven rhythm, distorted rhythm and lead. Anything inbetween just comes from changing pickups or fiddling round with the guitar knobs...people don't realise how much variation you get in your sound that way, they just want to step on a pedal for everything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a "clean" sound that comes from my dirty channel, with gain on 3-4 (clean) but the poweramp on 5, giving me slight distortion when I dig in and clean when I play soft. Then I get crunch from my OCD.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I get pretty complex, I think, even with such a simple setup.
SG > Wah > Fuzz > Amp
I'd like to think it's a good example of the variations you can get with using your guitar's pickup combos, and your V/T knobs.

Soft warm lead setting, where I roll down my volume a little bit, and put my neck pickup in parallel wiring, clean channel on amp.
Smooth "woman tone" lead setting, neck pickup in series, tone knob all the way down, clean channel.
Bright soft lead, roll down the bridge pickup a little, put it in parallel wiring, clean channel.
Bright riffs, bridge pickup in parallel, fuzz on, clean channel.
Heavy rhythm, bridge pickup in series, dirty channel + onboard amp bass boost.
Honky riffage, bridge pickup in series, volume rolled down a bit, wah cocked just above toe down, fuzz on, clean channel.

That's all I use, that I use often at least, I think. I should probably make use of my middle position on my SG...
Quote by steven seagull
I pretty much have the same as Dave , clean, overdriven rhythm, distorted rhythm and lead. Anything inbetween just comes from changing pickups or fiddling round with the guitar knobs...people don't realise how much variation you get in your sound that way, they just want to step on a pedal for everything.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
meh, whatever works for you. thats what makes guitar so interesting and personal. while another may be content with a strat through a twin, another guitarist gets his sound from a refrigerator rack and 2 stacks.
though i still believe that you should be able to write interesting music on just an acoustic and/or keyboard.
gear and effects are no substitute for talent.
Depends really, i use 9 midi changeable presets...quite frequently with the music i play, just because i need a wide pallet of sounds really.
I'm planning on a number of different tones - I'm building a Silicon and Germanium Fuzz Face, a high output Clean boost and a Tubescreamer, as well as getting a V847 in - I'll use one fuzz (likely Germanium) for chunky rhythm stuff, Tubescreamer for overdrive tones, Clean Booster for lead boosts and some natural overdriven work. I like to have a lot of variety in my OD. I might get a Delay too, amazing tone-thickening piece of gear.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.