Okay guys iv come into some cash and I was considering a new guitar as I desperately want a proper floyd equipped guitar with a decent playable action but during my searches for said axe I came across a number of stores selling really nice secondhand amps at great prices.

Namely the JVM 100w combo and a Mesa Tremoverb combos.

Its been years since I played a Tremoverb, I remember liking it a heck of a lot and indeed its been the amp I hankered after for many a moon. The one iv found is also quite cheap as mesas go in the UK.

Does anyone know how the Marshall compares to the mesa in terms of versitility? I require a good high gain sound for my metal and instrumental stuff. I know the marshall does really good cleans so im sure id be happy with the cleans and crunch. Im just not sure how the high gain channel fares against the mesa.

Anyone got any insights for me?
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Apparently the high gain channel on the JVM compares to a Mesa, although i havent tried one myself.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
It really depends on what kinda of high gain sound you are looking for.

Never really been a fan of the rectifier cleans. On the gain side, they do the typical rectifier distortion with a huge bottom end. Great for THAT rectifier sound, but it's really not my cup of tea. The lead tones on the rectifiers tend to lack fluidity also. If that's that distortion you're looking for, then it's your amp. To me, the amps sound muddy and boring. -

The marshall will do a much crunchier high gain sound....but from what I hear, it's also fairly muddy and leaves quite a bit to be desired. It will however have a better clean and crunch sound. Build quality on the amp sucks compared to Mesa though...I've heard of some many JVMs breaking that I would never dare buy one.

If it were between the two only, I would take the T-verb. Between other choice, neither
a lot of what youll hear on these internet forums about the JVM specifically is mostly hype and bull****. find a local spot to try them both out for yourself.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
If it were between the two only, I would take the T-verb. Between other choice, neither

agreed. only in the UK the tremoverb is like twice the price.

for the £700-£800 the jvm costs, you could doubtless do worse, but then again if you ask me you could do better too.

for the £1500 the tremoverb costs, you can do a lot better in the UK. you're into cornford, soldano, vht etc. range there.

personal preference of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well you see, if I said I had found a Tremoverb for £800 locally what would you say?
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

that's a more attractive proposition, obviously!

i'm not too well up on the used market, but you might be able to pick it up for that and sell it on for no loss (or even a small profit) if you don't like it.

check ebay to see what they normally go for, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tremoverbs are stupidly loud, my lead player has one. Very sensitive EQ and volume knobs. Sounds good for thud thud thump thump stuff and liquidy lead stuff but not my cup of tea. At volume 3 you'll drown out the whole band

£800 sounds like a good deal but are you sure you want a Mesa? Seeing that you're considering the JVM you sound like you don't really know what you want. Very different voicing and there are good competitors for both of them respectively at that kind of price.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Last edited by KazVH100R at Sep 26, 2007,
Basically the only reason I mentioned the JVM is that i can get both combos for the same price.

I know I like the Mesa since I have played it and loved the rhythm and lead sounds but seeing as the jvm is pretty new I havnt had much of a chance to crank one and jam. After watching the jvm dvd last night i can pretty much say its not to my liking especially in the high gain stakes.

I think my dilemma boils down to if I really need a new amp seeing as iv only upgraded my amp rig in the last 3 months. I diddnt have this kind of cash back then or I would have gone for the Boogie then. Maybe i should get the Mesa then sell the Engl preamp and atomic. Thank god my neighbor plays guitar too as if I get the Mesa the sound levels will get a lot louder.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

My main rig is a JVM 410H on a 4x12, and it's the most wide-ranging amp I could have hoped for. I don't even use any of the OD2 super-high-gain channels, but within the 9 remaining channels, I find every bit of clean, blues, crunch and JCM 800-style amp I could have hoped for. The thing just sounds gorgeous, and I'm fairly convinced this will be my main amp for many years to come.

I can't say enough about this series; they're not widely-owned yet, so it's difficult getting a lot of reviews and data out there that means anything, but I have to say it's very versatile, insanely loud with great tones even at low master volumes, the reverb is beautiful, almost fender-like on the clean channels, and I'm already seeing bands touring with it. Actually, the band that was opening for Velvet Revolver on their club tour this past spring/summer was using two of them, and I was surprised considering the amp had only been out for a couple of months.

Anyway, not that I can compare this to the Mesa, but I have no doubts about the tone and versatility and reliability of this amp; I want more people to go out and own this!
Quote by KazVH100R
£800 sounds like a good deal but are you sure you want a Mesa? Seeing that you're considering the JVM you sound like you don't really know what you want. Very different voicing and there are good competitors for both of them respectively at that kind of price.

agreed.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yep thats right I dont know what I want. The amp that will do what I want most likely does not exist or if it does its most likely well out of my price range.

How about some other suggestions then?

I like my cleans and gain pretty much the same full and fat with oodles of low end almost to the extreme of bass. Cleans dont have to be crystal clear as I do like a bit of dirt for the cleans I need a lead channel thats pretty high gain but will clean up a little if i edge down the volume or go soft with the pick and most importantly, as fluid as can be.

Heres a list of stuff I have been playing

Satch
Vai
Dream Theater
Trivium
Machinehead
Metallica
Incubus
Alter Bridge
Deftones

So yeah, I need some serious help here.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

engl blackmore
laney tt100h/vh100r
koch multitone/twintone (most likely have to order from thomann or similar to stay under budget)

probably some others i've forgotten too. by the way, those are in addition to the tremoverb and jvm, which are worth a try too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers Dave, That gives me even more to think about over the next 24 hours or so. Il know my final budget when I get my wage slip tomorrow. I got a nice bonus this month Im just wondering how much that dirty rotten tax man will take.

Then it will be the decision of the year. Big old tube amp or Js1000 and a mini Colossal. Wish me luck!
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sdhupelia
My main rig is a JVM 410H on a 4x12, and it's the most wide-ranging amp I could have hoped for. I don't even use any of the OD2 super-high-gain channels, but within the 9 remaining channels, I find every bit of clean, blues, crunch and JCM 800-style amp I could have hoped for. The thing just sounds gorgeous, and I'm fairly convinced this will be my main amp for many years to come.

I can't say enough about this series; they're not widely-owned yet, so it's difficult getting a lot of reviews and data out there that means anything, but I have to say it's very versatile, insanely loud with great tones even at low master volumes, the reverb is beautiful, almost fender-like on the clean channels, and I'm already seeing bands touring with it. Actually, the band that was opening for Velvet Revolver on their club tour this past spring/summer was using two of them, and I was surprised considering the amp had only been out for a couple of months.

Anyway, not that I can compare this to the Mesa, but I have no doubts about the tone and versatility and reliability of this amp; I want more people to go out and own this!

Ah yess. He has found the way like I have!!!
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Mesa Roadster combo--I don't know if its the same price as the Marshall, but i know the heads are $50 different. The Roadster has all of the versitility/features of the JVM and sounds 100% better. I've played both. The roadster EVERYTHING better than the JVM imo...except for possibly classic rock crunch, but still. Mesa's High gain particularly KILLS the JVMs so if you want thet, go mesa all the way. Thats my opinion.
Okay guys heres my update. i decided to try to get on with the amp setup I currently use. Frankly 3 months is not a lot of time to wring out every tonal possibility from the Engl and Pod XTlive.

I ordered a new guitar instead. An Ibanez RG3270 which cost me £499 secondhand. Sadly I couldn't get to Coda Music to try it but I love the feel of my friends 90's Rg550 and the 3270 cant be too far off. Its being setup as we speak and I will take delivery tomorrow. Stay tuned for pics and sound bytes in the Electric Guitar section.

If however come December I'm still uneasy about my current amp rig Il probably look into getting a nice valve combo or head with my Xmas bonus.

All theres left to say is Thanks to all the Guys that have helped me through this relapse of my GAS. A special mention goes out to Dave_Mc who has been awesome!
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

no problem, glad i could help. that should be a nice guitar too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?