So.....
I am in an awesome band we are tight, sound good and actually know how to play our instruments but who cares not my family or friends thats for sure.
However a very close relative of mine recently joins a screaming emo (oh look at our angst and forearm scars) band and my family and friends are all wow there amazing they'll be the next big thing for sure (wtf)
We have a good fan base and following but feel kinda kicked in the nuts mainly by my family.
i know i sound like i have chucked all my toys out the pram but has music really gone that far out of reach where actually wanting to play great music is shunned in favour of great steaming turd factories with little or no talent.

(theatrical sigh)

</rantmoan>

Thanks for listening
~Kainique
You sound well emo.

EDIT: That was a half-joke by the way I just found it funny how you were moaning about emo angst
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
*wall of text crits you for 10 million*

Ill just stare at Hobolad's avatar instead.
You ever thought about being happy for your relatives?
Terms and Conditions apply.
well family are spose to encourage each other no matter how **** they are.
maybe they are just saying that to make them feel better? and they dont go all crazy over use cos use are good?
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Ill just stare at Hobolad's avatar instead.

That guy's my hero (Whoever he is, but he must cool- just look at the hat).

Maybe they think complimenting you's unneeded if you know what I mean? Like how little kids get treats for going potty and whatnot, while older kids just get on with it. Or maybe they don't know how to compliment, y'know- like it may be embarassing for them to try and use the terminology (Y'know- "That was a nice lick" and you're like- "no, that was a chord, but thanks" )
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by Jakester
well family are spose to encourage each other no matter how **** they are.

No they aren't. Family is there to mooch off.

TS, Stop caring about what your family thinks, and get on with making music, dammit. And be happy for the emo screamo thingymo band. Why shouldn't they get any "props" if you already have a decent fanbase? Sounds like jealousy to me.
Quote by cagnius

To them, he is a relative. So, I think what he's looking for is some respect and encouragement which, in a normal family situation, should be in gobs.

But I've only ever seen a handful of normal family situations. My family doesn't care about my musical endeavors either man. They support me financially when they feel like it, and my uncle has bought me several guitars, which is a lot more than I have ever asked for. In fact, the only thing I've ever asked for from my family was a starter's kit about two years ago. I got it. Since then all I've ever wanted were strings. But am I going to bitch and moan because I got some fancy guitars handed to me? No way, I appreciate it, tons. Even if I didn't want them.

The moral of the story: Be happy with what you get, even if it's not what you expected, or really wanted.

Your family may not give a **** about your music, but, someone does. Give them your attention instead.
Quote by cagnius

Ew, no. We're Pit monkeys.

Dude lemme see your band. Perhaps you should write some pop music with a lot of fast power-chords talking about how America sucks but never giving any answer on how to help it. That'll get their attention.
Just sit and cry. Or just ignore it and remember that they'll disappear in the murkyness of unoriginality and crappyness in a few years/months/days/minutes
Maybe they're better?

I know they're emo and haven't been together that long, but it's possible they would be more talented. Hell, I've been playing 3 1/2 years and it wouldn't be that tough to find someone better than me.
Don't worry. The 'emos' will eventually grow out of it... or commit suicide. Which ever comes first
i understand why you might be upset by this but it is no reason to say that "life is sooo unfair". There are better things to be angry at like corrupt political leaders starving their people.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by TheCD
Maybe they're better?

I know they're emo and haven't been together that long, but it's possible they would be more talented. Hell, I've been playing 3 1/2 years and it wouldn't be that tough to find someone better than me.

That's probably down to poor practise ethic more than anything else.

"Talent" is a fairly silly idea full stop, anyway.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
what kind of music do your band play

maybe if you play jazz-disco they might not be able to appreciate it
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
maybe what ur playing they dont like,and maybe they prefer emo music,but as for me my family's all into me being into a band,like my aunt and uncle payed off my last guitar i bought for nothing,like my birthday came right after,so i guess im a lucky dude
Quote by breadstick
oh boo hoo my family doesnt think my band is the most awesome thing ever......

sorry but get over yourself. There are better things to be angry at like corrupt political leaders starving their people.

dude give us a break there maybe more important things to stress over like corrupt leaders and starving people
My family probably dont think my bands awesome but surely support should be given to both brothers equally am i not right to be a little pissed off.
the title of this thread is more of a phrase said mid sigh not meaning to be literal
Last edited by kainique at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by MadassAlex
That's probably down to poor practise ethic more than anything else.

"Talent" is a fairly silly idea full stop, anyway.

It's not poor work ethic, it's more or less not enough time to devote. School eats up a lot of my time, and my practice time has to suffer.
I suggest writing a song called "I'm gonna stab my stupid emo cousin and all my family cause he sucks and is overshadowing us". But with a song name like that, you may as well be Fall Out Boy.
Quote by Mud Martian
To them, he is a relative. So, I think what he's looking for is some respect and encouragement which, in a normal family situation, should be in gobs.

But I've only ever seen a handful of normal family situations. My family doesn't care about my musical endeavors either man. They support me financially when they feel like it, and my uncle has bought me several guitars, which is a lot more than I have ever asked for. In fact, the only thing I've ever asked for from my family was a starter's kit about two years ago. I got it. Since then all I've ever wanted were strings. But am I going to bitch and moan because I got some fancy guitars handed to me? No way, I appreciate it, tons. Even if I didn't want them.

The moral of the story: Be happy with what you get, even if it's not what you expected, or really wanted.

Your family may not give a **** about your music, but, someone does. Give them your attention instead.
Same here. I mean, sure they're happy for me that I've found something I've loved, but beyond that... I dunno, its beyond them. My dad's a musician, so he kind of understands it... but I don't think my mom even knows I make music at the level I do half the time.

But the electronic producers on the electronic forums know, and the DJs and labels paying attention to kids like me on Myspace, always looking for new music and musicians know, and from the over 370 plays on my UGP, I would imagine at least some of UG knows. And I have my name out there, all I gotta do is just get better and better, not worry about my family. And that's how you should do it. Just keep promoting it to the right people, stay true to your fans, and get your name out there. Let your family take care of your cousin's band.
Last edited by MastaBassist10 at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by Mud Martian

+ ****in 1. Exactly.
Listen to him.