is this valve junior really as good as the reviews ive been reading....sounds like this is the perfect amp for me...need something to sound great at lower volumes...for an apartment...plus i like the face that u can mod the hell out of it?....so opinions?
Its an okay amp, nothing That great, good for the price and reasonable tone, only good if your a bedroom player though.

The head version is better because you can put it through better speakers which is IMO the combo's downfall, too much speaker distortion at break-up volumes and it can sound a little box-ey (once again, the small speaker in the small combo's fault)
oh ya..i forgot the mention i was talking about head....and i need it for bedroom playing
The head with a 1x12 (or even a 2x12) would be good for you- yeah you can mod the hell out of them- Kerry on here does it for some people and the results are great.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Personally, I think it takes plugging it into a quality 4 x 12 to get the most out of it. On its own its not bad, but really to get the most out of it you should mod it.
its only 150 bucks, you cant expect it to be amazing, but it is pretty nice.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
the combo can easily be attached to a cab as the speaker is connected via a 1/4" jack externally, disconnect the internal speaker wap in a cab.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
it's not as quiet as you think it is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i went to play it today...didnt really do much for me...plug a couple of pedals in and it started clipping....
^ what pedals? If you put a metal zone or something in there you deserve a good slap.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by twinturboaudi
i went to play it today...didnt really do much for me...plug a couple of pedals in and it started clipping....

hopefully you weren't expecting a high gainer with tight bass

it's a very dark vintage voiced amp, and with a good OD, it should settle for everything basically, except for bright tones and metal metal.

and did you crank it past 2? that's where my favorite settings are/were.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
what were you looking for in it? you said it'd be perfect, so maybe it was just a misconception?

and there's always mods. i've seen VJ's do some pretty crazy stuff on youtube.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ still not really the kinda amp you shove dist onfront of imo. try it again with a tubescreamer
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Or... spend the extra cash and try out a champ 600 or a peavey royal 8.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
champ 600 was a hunk of crap in my opinion. best try all amps out properly.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by twinturboaudi

the head?

cause i use a MM and others, never clips. but ive got mine hooked up to two 1x12
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ya ive been trying amps for the last month....pretty much all of them...and it all comes down to my spider III 75 watt...i cant find anything to replace it..the sound im searching to is in that amp...plus a couple others i like also...it wasnt till i got up to the $2000 half stacks that i was really impressed...but i could never use the volume out of that...so i think im keeping that amp for now until i get out of an apartment and into a house....then ill spend some real money...
oh and please dont give me ur negative opinions on spider amps and turn this thread into a line 6 bashing....i love the way it sounds...u dont have to
Quote by jj1565
the head?

cause i use a MM and others, never clips. but ive got mine hooked up to two 1x12

ya...it sounded pretty good till it started clipping...the salesman told me it was the tube distorting...i didnt think it sounded right....
i can dime my valve junior sounds really good. not sure what's going on with the amp or cab at ur shop. *shrug*

anyway, if u're happy with ur spider then ur all set.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I didn't like the VJ when I tried it at the store, but it was only $30, so I said what the hell? I'm getting me a new amp! Now, I got it running through a BJ speaker, and soon I'll have my cab built, and I love it! It's my own tone.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I like mine quite a bit. I think they are just a little over-rated, but they are still great for the price. It is not a bedroom amp if you want it to break up at all, it will get a little bit of volume, enough to bother your neighbos in an apartment. I hear they are very easy to modify, I just ordered some parts and am going to do a few simple mods next week. I've also had a ball building a couple different cabs for it. I say if you like doing any kind of mods etc then buy it, it's a great amp to start those on.
Quote by twinturboaudi
ya ive been trying amps for the last month....pretty much all of them...and it all comes down to my spider III 75 watt...i cant find anything to replace it..the sound im searching to is in that amp...plus a couple others i like also...it wasnt till i got up to the $2000 half stacks that i was really impressed...but i could never use the volume out of that...so i think im keeping that amp for now until i get out of an apartment and into a house....then ill spend some real money...
oh and please dont give me ur negative opinions on spider amps and turn this thread into a line 6 bashing....i love the way it sounds...u dont have to

Give me convenience, or give me death!
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
ya...its not a bad amp at all...it just isnt worth me getting rid of mine and having to buy all the pedals to recreate the spider..it had nice cleans but i almost never play clean...i like to make everything metal.. .....
^ agreed, or maybe wait for the new windsor combo. but yeah, there's no crime in not liking the valve junior.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i just ordered a valve junior combo it should be here in 2-3 days, i got the combo because the 2x10 in my duncan combo is 4 ohms and the output on the vj is 4 ohms ( the combo) so it ll work out if i want to run other speakers plus i ll have the convienance to bring it around. im soo pumped to get it, i run a american strat with a ts 9 byoc delay classic way and fs7 fuzz
Quote by twinturboaudi
well if u like a clean and bluesy sound...u should be happy for the price u paid

i love a clean bluesy sound and maybe add a lil distortion for some southern blues type stuff ( srv etc). i really like my seymour duncan but the reasonable volume ( when just playing in the casa) is 0 ( i literally turn the pot off and then its still oud enought o play)
The VJ has enough gain for SRV type stuff, just not the right sound.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
yeah, it's a bit too british sounding. would do it at a pinch, but if you know you want an srv sound... peavey valveking royal 8 would be better (still a little british, but less so than the VJ), i'm guessing the champion 600 would too, though i haven't tried the champion. crate palomino, again, i haven't tried, but is probably also worth a look.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?