I've heard there not great for cleans but does that mean the sound out of amp will be much softer on clean because after my swap from EMG HZ's to 81 85's my amp must be almost cranked to get a nice sound. Do I have something wrong in my wireing or is that to be expected. Overdrive and highgain "seem OK". ?
they arent bad! if your good at Eq'ing you should be able to get a nice usuable clean.

What amp are you using? Its sorta hard to understand what your asking!

Basicly if your output is lower than with previous pick ups their is something wrong with the wireing!
apparently the 85 sounds good clean in the neck position
probably not the best clean pickup you can buy but still good
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Am I right in saying the 60 in neck possition is better then the 85 in neck possition for cleans?
My 85 is in the neck and I get a really nice clean tone.
My Stuff:
Schecter S-1 Elite with EMG 81 & 85
Dean Hardtail Select
Marshall MG50DFX
Boss DS-1

A child's rhyme stuck in my head says life is but a dream
Yes there is a difference my amp Crate GTD65 guitar Schecter damien FR, the sound level when I put it on clean it's still ,well ,"clean" but lte volume drops alot , like if I hit over drive-high gain button after playing the clean one it about blows the roof of the place when before it seemed somewhat quiet?
Quote by kelvov
Am I right in saying the 60 in neck possition is better then the 85 in neck possition for cleans?

Yes.

And it's the same bandwagon that 6505 cleans are absolutely dreadful and unusable- as long as you can EQ and use a volume knob, you can get some more than usable cleans.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
So it's more in my setting's and control of the volume and not in the way I wired it?
i've ordered an 81B 85N set for my ran custom

does the 85 deal with gain better?
bearing in mind i probably won't use the cleans that much i don't think it really matters that the 60 is better
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
If you want nice cleans use a 60 in the neck position, it sounds lots nicer than an 85.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by samtewari
i've ordered an 81B 85N set for my ran custom

does the 85 deal with gain better?
bearing in mind i probably won't use the cleans that much i don't think it really matters that the 60 is better

How I envy you for owning a ran!

Should be fine tbh!
If the cleans are what they are I'll just deal with it I just didnt want to go any farther if my wires were not quite right like most I was'nt looking for cleans as much as this guitar is for metal and such I just didnt want to use it if I had something wired wrong