No, EMG do some passives too, like the HZ series.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Cacophonic
No, not necessarily.
There are EMG-HZ's.
They're garbage.

^_^

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I guess tone is a matter of opinion, but what's garbage about 'em?
Quote by xSacrilegex
Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I guess tone is a matter of opinion, but what's garbage about 'em?

They're just tone deficient in my opinion.
If you can't afford 81-85's, or whatever, you just have to do with what you can.
Quote by Cacophonic
They're just tone deficient in my opinion.
If you can't afford 81-85's, or whatever, you just have to do with what you can.

I could get 'em, it's all a matter of hating the battery changing. As far as I know, with my habits, I'm gunna go through them like nuts.
Quote by xSacrilegex
I could get 'em, it's all a matter of hating the battery changing. As far as I know, with my habits, I'm gunna go through them like nuts.

Depends on how much you play, to be honest.

If you don't play like constantly, they're actually alright on batteries. (Given you don't buy crap batteries)
Quote by xSacrilegex

Its not hard to change a battery. And if you unplug it, you'll be fine for a year or more.
Quote by CJRocker
Its not hard to change a battery. And if you unplug it, you'll be fine for a year or more.

I know it's easy, I do tons of guitar work, it's wasting battery I'm worried about.

And they can last that long huh? I'll just make sure I don't get cheap batteries.

Thanks, much appreciated.
yeah batteries last aaages

And yes, like the guy above said, there are EMH-Hz's but they are absolute rubbish
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
good luck, with going through them quickly =p you'll get 6 months out of them i get around 8 i play maybe 2 hours a day and at the end of 8 months they still hadn't ran out but, i changed anyway.

things to note, DONT leave it plugged in, you always have to unplug the lead going into the input jack of the guitar, otherwise that wastes batteries but yeah.

you will get a MINIMUM OF 6 months i imagine, and its only 1 battery =)
Quote by CraigKing
good luck, with going through them quickly =p you'll get 6 months out of them i get around 8 i play maybe 2 hours a day and at the end of 8 months they still hadn't ran out but, i changed anyway.

things to note, DONT leave it plugged in, you always have to unplug the lead going into the input jack of the guitar, otherwise that wastes batteries but yeah.

you will get a MINIMUM OF 6 months i imagine, and its only 1 battery =)

With that said, I'd also like to point out if you use a pedal of any sort, and use batteries, take the same advice. Don't leave a chord plugged in the "Input" jack. It will cause unecessary use of battery power.
EMG HZs aren't that bad, but they don't sound like active EMGs. Play a guitar with them and decide.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
okey dokes.

time for a view on them.

My friend has an LTD EC-1000 with an 81/60 active set, kicks ass, sounds great.
battery life is decent.
He plays through a Line 6 Spider III HD 75 head and a B-52 cab. not bad, but its digital and a copycat sound that isnt that great, the pickups tend to make up for some of it.

I have an LTD Alexi-600 SE (the special edition Alexi 600 black w/ pink pinstripe) with an EMG HZ 4. blows my mind, and its passive so no battery needed.
I play through a Randall RH150 single tube head, and a matching Randall Cab with 4x12 CELESTION speakers. fancy that? one of the best tones ive ever heard using either my Alexi or my Ibanez RG4EXQM1 with a Dimebucker in the bridge.

now, look this over, and you tell me who's going to have a better tone.
my friend with an active set with his amp, or me, passive pup with my amp.

ill let you EMG HZ smashers ponder that for awhile.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
okey dokes.

time for a view on them.

My friend has an LTD EC-1000 with an 81/60 active set, kicks ass, sounds great.
battery life is decent.
He plays through a Line 6 Spider III HD 75 head and a B-52 cab. not bad, but its digital and a copycat sound that isnt that great, the pickups tend to make up for some of it.

I have an LTD Alexi-600 SE (the special edition Alexi 600 black w/ pink pinstripe) with an EMG HZ 4. blows my mind, and its passive so no battery needed.
I play through a Randall RH150 single tube head, and a matching Randall Cab with 4x12 CELESTION speakers. fancy that? one of the best tones ive ever heard using either my Alexi or my Ibanez RG4EXQM1 with a Dimebucker in the bridge.

now, look this over, and you tell me who's going to have a better tone.
my friend with an active set with his amp, or me, passive pup with my amp.

ill let you EMG HZ smashers ponder that for awhile.

lol

well, your friends situation it's like having a ferrari body with a motorcycle engine, he has awesome pickups, but crappy amps

on the other side you have the bashed by everyone pickups and an excellent amp, which makes a HUGE difference
^_^

i find that EMG HZ bashing is the same freaking bandwagon as Marshall MG bashing and Line 6 bashing.

yeah i bash line 6 and marshall mg's, but its reasonable since ive actually used both of them for an extended period of time, not just hopping on some children's train.

and EMG HZ's are actually excellent pups anyway.
they give a powerful tone without being driven by a battery

just watch, once the Seymour Duncan Blackouts are as widely used as EMG 81/60/85, then people are gonna bash on the Super Distortion, JB, Dimebuckers, etc. etc. like they do against EMG HZ probably without having any personal experience with them (like im sure most of you who posted here probably haven't actually played an EMG HZ pup through a good amp for more then a couple of minutes)
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Sep 25, 2007,
people already bash dimebuckers.

Usually because they're crap.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
^super distortion is made by Dimarzio, but I do prefer the sound of passives, active pickups sound to compressed.
Quote by flamingstrat.
^super distortion is made by Dimarzio, but I do prefer the sound of passives, active pickups sound to compressed.

yeah i know, my bad, was thinking of them when i typed it ^_^
meant the Seymour Ducan Distortion pups. not super, lol, simple error on my part.
Quote by Sendrith
people already bash dimebuckers.

Usually because they're crap.

The Dimebucker is just a bad knock-off of a really great pickup.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2