Basically, I need a new amp, I'm playing through a crappy 10 Ibanez BASS amp at the moment, despite playing guitar.

Budget: £400 i'm reasonably flexible on this

Style: Hard rock/Metal

Specifications: Good distortion, reasonable cleans, has to be a combo, as i can't afford a half stack, nor would i have a need for one.

Has to be loud enough for small gigs and playing over a drummer

Other Gear: I play a modified Ibanez RG through a Boss ME-50, but with the new amp, the ME-50 will probably be sold (as much as I love it ) Pickups in the RG are Dimarzio D Activator Bridge, Chopper, Breed (neck) all through an EMG afterburner (obviously not on all the time)

Anything else you need to know, please don't hesitate to ask
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=194

decent cleans awesome hard rock crunch and with an OD will do most metal no problem. plus that's dead cheap for one
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Randall RG50TC, Peavey 5150/6505 combo (used), Roland Cube (+ distortion pedal)
^ no need for the dist with the cube. i think he can go beyond a cube though. you'll be hard put to find a peavey 5150 at £400 but it'd be worth a look
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
could you give some examples of the hard rock and metal you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He won't find a 5150 for £400

But DSL? Hrm, i'm not too sure about that, i've heard alot of people complain about theirs after owning it for a few months

A laney LC30 with a distortion pedal perhaps?
The DSL looks good, i'm not much of a fan of Randalls, and I'm DEFINITELY looking for tube as opposed to SS (sorry, that rules out the Cube too).

I'd be pretty interested in the 5150/6505, i was looking at getting that head and cab until i realised that I had no need for that much power, so there's not point in spending that much money on something i'd never turn past 1 only thing is, there's not many places you can buy used around here

I've also been looking at the Laney VC30-210, anyone had any experience with this amp?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Dave_Mc
could you give some examples of the hard rock and metal you play?

Dream Theater, Megadeth, Iced Earth

EDIT: Opeth, to name another

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Ht666
Hmm

look at mesa's as well, and the DSL-401

I'd have thought the Mesa's were out of the price range? Plus I'm after a more classically voiced amp

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
The 1x12 would be the better speaker combo for the VC30, and it will do metal (guessing you are a Metallica fan from avatar and sig) fairly well with a GOOD overdrive pedal, but no bone crushing death metal, at all
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
i haven't tried the 210, but the 1x12 is very nice. might not be modern enough for those bands, though. i don't think you need an uber-modern tone for those bands, but probably a little more modern than a vc30. worth a try though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sharly
The 1x12 would be the better speaker combo for the VC30, and it will do metal (guessing you are a Metallica fan from avatar and sig) fairly well with a GOOD overdrive pedal, but no bone crushing death metal, at all

Don't worry, I'm not really a fan of the bone crushing stuff I was also thinking of selling the ME-50 and seeing if i can pick up a TS-808 with the proceeds

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^ The vc30 won't do metal well at a high volume

At bedroom levels i can do it, but it's just not that voiced for it

Rock it will do though and it has great cleans imo

Although saying that, i can use an EQ pedal to get it sounding fairly tight
Haha ok, TS 808 would be perfect and defiantly one of the best OD's for the job.

I'll copy and paste a little bit of the Laney Cult's FAQ because an LC30 would be more modern sounding and might be better for the job...

What are the difference between the LC and the VC seeing that they’re in a similar price range?
The VC and LC are very different amps, the VC is warmer, more vintage and British voiced with low-mid gain. The LC is brighter more modern and American voiced with a bit more gain. Both are good amps but overall the VC excels as the better amp, the clean channel is nicer, it fills up at loud volumes where the LC sounds more brittle when you crank it. If you're looking for something modern sounding with a bit of gain and aren't too fussed on volume then go for the LC otherwise the VC is the better choice IMO.

Can the VC do metal? How heavy can it go?
The VC is a very versatile amp, but not a lot of gain, without help it could probably manage classic rock at bedroom volumes, much further than that and it will need and OD to manage, cranked it could handle a bit more. But you’re best bet is to buy an OD, a simple tubescreamer (Ibanez TS9/808, Maxon OD9/808 or the cheap Digitech Bad Monkey if you’re on a budget.) or the likes would push enough gain out of it but you may need an EQ pedal to shape the tone into a more metal oriented sound. You should definitely try it first seeing as peoples tastes and ideas of what high gain is are different.

Which speaker variation/wattage should I get of the VC? What's the difference?
The newer VCs are all equipped with pretty poor speakers, the 112 has a single Celestion Seventy 80, the 210 has a pair of custom designed Jensens and the 212 has a par of the Celestions again, the VC15 has the same custom designed Jensen.

The older VCs where Loaded with HH Invaders which were too my knowledge a lot better than the Celestions/Jensen s in the current VCs. I'm not 100% though. In terms in quality all the speakers are pretty poor-average, including the Jensens, in my personal opinion, the 112 or 110 is the best option, lighter, more compact and in the long run it's easier and cheaper to swap out the speaker to something better quality if the time comes.

Of course having two speakers is going to push more air and seem louder, but my 112 is already ridiculously loud. You aren't going to need it, unless you want to stick a pair of 25/whatever watt speakers into it. Then go for it.

Which brings me onto my next point, wattage, the 15 and the 30 are pretty much the same amp, cosmetically the 15 has buttons for the bright/drive channel switch, the 15 also features a tone knob (Supposed to be the similar to presence.) which the 30 doesn't have. Both are very loud amps, neither of them are quiet enough for you to be able to crank up in your bedroom, but they both sound good at bedroom volumes anyhow. They're both gig worthy, capable of handling small pub gigs, and maybe a medium sized gigs for the 30, but otherwise you'll be hooked up to the PA. The 15 is slightly boxy sounding due to a smaller speaker, it also runs in class A/B mode as opposed to class A, but this just affects how hot the amp runs at certain volumes. But both are very good choice.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
now that you've mentioned bands.. I wouldn;t personally go for the DSL, still worth trying out though. check eBay for Ashdown Fallen Angels
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by philipisabeast
^ The vc30 won't do metal well at a high volume

At bedroom levels i can do it, but it's just not that voiced for it

Rock it will do though and it has great cleans imo

Although saying that, i can use an EQ pedal to get it sounding fairly tight

how is it that it doesn't to the higher gain, is it that it just doesn't have enough gain, period, or is it that it tends to get too loose and sound muddy?

because from the post above, the VC seems the better amp. Especially if driven with a tubescreamer or similar

EDIT: Just wondering, my Afterburner, similar job to the tubescreamer?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
how is it that it doesn't to the higher gain, is it that it just doesn't have enough gain, period, or is it that it tends to get too loose and sound muddy?

because from the post above, the VC seems the better amp. Especially if driven with a tubescreamer or similar

EDIT: Just wondering, my Afterburner, similar job to the tubescreamer?

The VC is a better amp generally than the LC

But it's vintage voiced, aka it'll do blues and early classic rock fairly well [it's OD channel is VERY loud though]. Now oddly i play an Ibanez RG through this amp with shred and metal as alot of my aims
Now at lower volumes i can manage to get a sort of oversaturated sound with my mids totally scooped on a metal muff, the amp turned very low [but still fairly loudish for bedroom], but when you turn it up, the natural voicing of the amp begins to kick in and it can either go muddy, or loose, or both - now i've bought an MXR 10 band EQ for this, which can help

It'll do stuff like Paul Gilbert easily enough with an OD/dist as he keeps it all fairly level and near the middle of the sound spectrum, but it wont do br00talz metal over a certain volume. If i was to gig, i'd probably borrow another amp - i love the VC30's cleans and natural OD [however as i said, an OD pedal may be necessary as it's LOUD on the drive channel] but as i said, it's just not voiced for loud played metal [although it should do it with a dist pedal at bedroom levels] which is why i recommended the more modern LC30 + a dist

EDIT: If you really want, and i can get round to it tomorrow, i'll put up some sound clips of it doing as much metal as i can coax out of it
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
check eBay for Ashdown Fallen Angels

You anticipating me on purpose or did you actually think of that

TS: I'm selling my ashdown on ebay, £300; auction's in my sig.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i knew you'd be here advertising it but yes i think it'd be a great choice, and leaving you £100 for various goodies
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD

TS: Buy my amp!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

TS: Buy my amp!

if it is not bought within a fortnight, PM me, and see what we can do deal wise

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
if it is not bought within a fortnight, PM me, and see what we can do deal wise

Why in a fortnight? If you don't mind my asking.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Why in a fortnight? If you don't mind my asking.

It's my birthday (18th ) and I'm getting some money from people (I'm saving for a new amp) and will have about £100 saved, £200+ for my birthday, so £300 for your amp, provided you can give sound clips and I like them, would be pretty sweet

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7244379&highlight=ashdown+fallen+angel+clips#post7244379

Steven_Seagull's post has a variety of clips, it should be the first one on the page.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
cheers, i'll have a listen tomorrow!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I've now lowered the reserve on it to £200 so that should sweeten the deal a bit.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.