This has bugged me forever, every time I go to see bands like Streetlight Manifesto, Suburban Legends, Reel Big Fish, The Toasters etc. the opening bands are always straight up punk or pop punk bands.
What gives? I hate punk music, the only time it's tolerable is when its mixed with ska chords and horns. Every time the opening bands come on, no ones really into it and they don't get good reception, why don't more ska bands open for ska bands?

As a perfect example of this this was a line up for a show I saw about 4 1/2 years ago
Headliners: Reel Big Fish, The Planet Smashers, RX Bandits.
Openers: Fall Out Boy, Punchline, and Lucky Boys Confusion(more alt rock ska than punk)
As you can see the first two openers were horrible horrible choices and they sucked balls. Anyone else have any ska shows like this where the openers were nothing like the act in any way?
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
NONE of those bands are punk. Listen to some punk first and then you can carry on moaning.

Anyway all those ska bands are ska-pop punk, so its not surprising they have pop punk supporting acts.
Quote by radio_schizo
NONE of those bands are punk. Listen to some punk first and then you can carry on moaning.

Anyway all those ska bands are ska-pop punk, so its not surprising they have pop punk supporting acts.

so what you're saying is RX Bandits are similar to Fall Out Boy? That might be the biggest insult ever.

and for the record Punchline is about as stereotypically punk as you can get.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Quote by Rufiothebandito
so what you're saying is RX Bandits are similar to Fall Out Boy? That might be the biggest insult ever.

No they aren't.
Quote by neidnarb11890
No they aren't.

eh?
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Quote by Rufiothebandito

No, I just think you're listening to the wrong punk bands.

Especially that you think that Punchline is stereotypical punk.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Sep 24, 2007,
I'll admit they (Punchline, Fall Out Boy) aren't a good representation of talented punk bands in general.
But the way I see it, bands like the Planet Smashers, The Toasters, The Skatelites, etc. are very very far from being related to punk, they're more closely related to early Reggae and Dub.

So seeing these pop-punk bands that sing about totally different things and play a totally different way just don't seem to be good choices for openers in a ska show.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
^Then, you should have probably posted this in the pop-punk forum.

Of course they are closer to reggae, cos' they evolved from it. But punk has a lot of ties with ska. Bands like The Clash, SLF, the Ruts, and the 2 tone Ska bands help popularize the genre with punks and it has kind of stuck ever since.
Quote by Rufiothebandito
This has bugged me forever, every time I go to see bands like Streetlight Manifesto, Suburban Legends, Reel Big Fish, The Toasters etc. the opening bands are always straight up punk or pop punk bands.
As a perfect example of this this was a line up for a show I saw about 4 1/2 years ago
Openers: Fall Out Boy, Punchline, and Lucky Boys Confusion(more alt rock ska than punk)

This has bugged me forever, every time punk is mentioned, bands like Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 are mentioned, but never any straight up punk bands.

I don't get this, because all a lot of these bands have in common with punk, or even pop-punk, is the fact that it's simple. Which, as many a punk will actually know, doesn't even matter, as punk is, a lot of the time, rarely that simple.

As a perfect example of this, these are a few songs which show that punk isn't aways three power chords stuck in a loop
Love Song - The Damned,
Love Comes in Spurts - Richard Hell,
Jet Boy - New York Dolls
Pull My Strings - Dead Kennedys
Hell, even Pretty Vacant by Sex Pistols had more going on than a lot of these modern "punk" bands!

Oh, and for your ska/punk thing, two words - The Clash
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Last edited by SuperBlob at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by SuperBlob
Oh, and for your ska/punk thing, two words - The Clash

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuudiiiiiiiie Can't Fail!!
You guys turned this thread into flaming him because he said those bands were punk. It's obviously a mistake... no need to give him hell for it.

As for your question, I don't know, I've never seen it happen before.
Quote by Joe-Fish
You guys turned this thread into flaming him because he said those bands were punk. It's obviously a mistake... no need to give him hell for it.

As for your question, I don't know, I've never seen it happen before.

Well coming into this forum and beginning his 2nd paragraph with "I hate punk music..." isn't exactly gonna win him many friends, and then go and use Fall out Boy as examples of punk

But I forgive
I think there is something wrong with you. To say that you like ska and hate punk.... It's like saying I love Streetlight Manifesto and hate Catch 22.

But you are seeing punk bands the wrong way. The bands you are mentioning as punk are much more pop rock.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by radio_schizo
Well coming into this forum and beginning his 2nd paragraph with "I hate punk music..." isn't exactly gonna win him many friends, and then go and use Fall out Boy as examples of punk

But I forgive

I hated punk when I got into ska too, but I LOVE it now. I hate how no one here rarely helps someone new nicely though... I don't care how P0nX and badass they are.
Quote by Rufiothebandito
What gives? I hate punk music, the only time it's tolerable is when its mixed with ska chords and horns. Every time the opening bands come on, no ones really into it and they don't get good reception, why don't more ska bands open for ska bands?

As you can see the first two openers were horrible horrible choices and they sucked balls. Anyone else have any ska shows like this where the openers were nothing like the act in any way?

Fall Out Boy started out opening for bands such a RBF and The Planet Smashers?

For a pop band, Fall Out Boy are good at what they do, but back then, they must have really ****ing blown. It's funny how bands like The Planet Smashers have been around so long, long enough to be above a band like Fall Out Boy, and then the Fall Out Boy band get's bigger then Planet Smashers all because of there mainstream sound.