So I love my Epiphone Explorer, still have yet to play a guitar that feels better to me. But i want to give it a broader tone. I play a wide range of music (with a wide range of pedals), so i would like to have some versatility with the pickups. I do alot of clean jazz and jam stuff on my own, which is why I plan to have the Schaller Golden '50 in the neck (Im looking for a sound like Trey Anastasio, David Gilmore, Greg Howe). But I am also in a modern/hard rock band who do alot of big shows, so i was thinking about using an EMG-81 (or 85) in the bridge. Ill admit I dont have much knowledge of pickups, so Im wondering if this combination will be good for what Im trying to do or if its a horrible idea. Also, I havn't found too much info on the Schaller Golden '50, so i was wondering if it going to give me any cleaner or richer of a sound than the Alnico Classic humbuckers I have in right now. Any help or info would be greatly appriciated.
I'm not quite sure, but i don't think you can have passive and active pickups in the same guitar. Maybe get a seymour duncan or something (just not the dimebucker or invader)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
While it's not impossible to do, the wirings a tad more advanced that what most people are comfortable with doing. What I suggest you do is either go all-passive or all-active - in your case I'd definitely go passive.
Something like a Alnico II in the neck with a Distortion or something a tad hotter in the bridge would suit you nicely.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^Good idea.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator