Hey UG. Today marks the starting of two of my projects that I've wanted to do for a long time. I decided to make this thread so I can update you as I go. I'm not actually starting on working on it today because I need to find out some stuff before I get supplies.

Project #1: ESP LTD Ax-50
This is what it looks like right now:

I absolutely hate the Satin Black finish on it. It's dull, and shows fingerprints and smears on it like a bitch.

This is what I want it to look like in the end:

I plan on putting in some EMG pickups (most likely 81/85), some new knobs, and a new jack, as mine is screwed up.

Now, I have a few questions.
When I sand it down, what kind of sandpaper should I use to get the satin finish off?
When I paint it, should I put the red layer down first and then tape and paint the black, or should I put the black layer down, and then tape and paint the red?

Project #2: Jay Turser JT300
Here's what it looks like right now:

Here's what I want it to look like:

I want to put all new electronics into this one. The pickups in it are crap, and buzz like crazy. I also might get a new neck for it.

Questions:
What kind of sandpaper should I use for it?
When I paint, what can I do to give it that shiny, pearl look?

Now, I'm a rookie when it comes to doing this stuff, and I have no idea as to how to paint the guitars properly. So, can anyone help me out?

Thanks, and I'll update as the project progresses
Quote by Kensai
I'm no fancy doctor, but it sounds like you've got the clap.
Well, I see no one posted in this,
I havent updated for a while because I was in a major car accident around 3 weeks ago, escaped with only bruises though
anyways, I have an update, I started sanding down my Strat, I started using 220 sandpaper, and it took forever, so I got some 120. It's starting to come through good. I will probably be finished sanding everything down by the end of the week, I'm a pretty busy guy.
Quote by Kensai
I'm no fancy doctor, but it sounds like you've got the clap.
I would try to put down the black paint first, then tape it, add the red. Less area to be taped.

Enjoi
Quote by hushie_619
Well, I see no one posted in this,
I havent updated for a while because I was in a major car accident around 3 weeks ago, escaped with only bruises though
anyways, I have an update, I started sanding down my Strat, I started using 220 sandpaper, and it took forever, so I got some 120. It's starting to come through good. I will probably be finished sanding everything down by the end of the week, I'm a pretty busy guy.

get a palm sander, it will make your life easier.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass