So yeah as the title says. I ordered my guitar, and as reviewers seem to consider the stock pickups as the guitars downfall. I thought it might pay to look into some new ones. I'm gonna replace the bridge pickups and I play mostly Thrash and Nu wave metal.

So ive narrowed it down to the DiMarzio Super 3 OR Evolution.

But if you have any better suggestions lay em on me.
If you're not very concerned about your clean tone, EMGs may be the right thing for you. What kind of amp have you got?
If you want to go active, the new Seymour Duncan Blackouts are supposedly superior to EMG's now

And the evo's are really brightclear pickups, bad for metal, so deffinately don't go there

I dunno what kyrreca has in his 1570, but in mine i have a Dimarzio Tone Zone and Breed which does lead metal well enough for me [but im like 99% of the time in standard tuning]

EDIT: These are the blackouts http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by kyrreca
If you're not very concerned about your clean tone, EMGs may be the right thing for you. What kind of amp have you got?

randall valvestate In conjunction with the metal muff, only one query i hear emg's dont mix with basswood body's so well, what ya reckon?
Quote by philipisabeast
If you want to go active, the new Seymour Duncan Blackouts are supposedly superior to EMG's now

And the evo's are really brightclear pickups, bad for metal, so deffinately don't go there

I dunno what kyrreca has in his 1570, but in mine i have a Dimarzio Tone Zone and Breed which does lead metal well enough for me [but im like 99% of the time in standard tuning]

EDIT: These are the blackouts http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/

I've got a ToneZone as well. I don't play much thrash, but I guess the metal muff would do the trick. It's a versatile pickup, more so than the EMG's
Last edited by kyrreca at Sep 24, 2007,
For those styles the D-Sonic is probably the best choice, Breed, Paf Pro or Super 2 in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
why don't u try the guitar with stock pickups first?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ As they're pretty bad, and can be improved in any direction you wish, unless you like a good guitar sounding bland and bleh

The Tone Zone is a good pickup for metal and 'lead' sorts of shreddy music, but as steven seagull said, the D-sonic sounds good for ye
I think he's just saying that it is kind of silly to be wanting to improve a guitar that you haven't played yet.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ True, although with poor grammar
But with the RG prestiges [unless you get the super thru-neck ones which have SD's i do blieve in some models] it's generally agreed they are teh sux0r
where are you located, and what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i live in UK and got a Randall rg75

your advice intrigues me ill see about those dimarzios. also true it does sound daft but whats the point in waiting to get the guitar before i get advice about potential new pickups as if i like the stocks it wont matter

Cheers again.
if you're in the UK i'd look elsewhere other than dm's unless they just happen to do the exact tone you want... swineshead are cheaper and nicer, IMO, irongear would be worth a look too on the cheap, or if you want to push the boat out, bareknuckle or bulldog would doubtless be worth a look.

what's nu-wave metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
swineshead eh also bein a muse fan i definitely want a look at those bareknuckle nailbombs, sounds good. But i hear basswood will differ the tone of pickups will it do this in any relatively bad way do you think? or is that some kind of UG hype, then again that'd probably be a bit of a knowledge stretch.
nu-wave = nu metal, all that linkin park, korn, deftones kinda stuff basically im looking for metal pickups, as long as it sounds good i couldn't give a monkeys.
Thanks.
any wood will change the tone slightly. if you do decide to look into any of those pickups i suggested, I'd just email the company (or check out the bareknuckle forum)... you'll likely get better advice than you will on here.

And oh yeah, i almost forgot, corduroy, a member on here, makes pickups too, which are meant to be really nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Ah yeah Dave makes a good point, i got my DM's over in the US so it was like £70 for both of them, where as they're like 70 a piece here
yeah. if you're somewhere where you can get dimarzios cheap, they're worth considering. but when they're almost as much as bareknuckles and bulldogs...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
And oh yeah, i almost forgot, corduroy, a member on here, makes pickups too, which are meant to be really nice.

he makes awesome pickups. vintage spec single coils are what i got. its excellent. hes got a line of humbuckers too. so i'd pop him a pm.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Awesome, so bargains are definitely a factor also, well thanks for such snappy responses guys, really appreciate it, ill probably look into a bare knuckle in the bridge as they're a lot easier to buy in UK (Devon) and also only about a ten-twenty quid more, for probably a better sound.

Lastly any ideas on a neck pup anything will do as i probably wont replace it, but if anyone ever employs me it'd be nice to consider.

God bless you all. Cheers.
what do you want from the neck pickup? cleans? overdrive? solos?

also, again i'd advise just emailing whoever you're thinking of buying the pickup from (bareknuckle, cordy, etc.)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Metallica-esque solos definitely but not EMG 81 like Hammett as i don't hear great things about basswood + EMG's and so on. Unless thats complete bollocks then ill try anything, also ill be sure to email the 1920's strongman at Bare Knuckle.
i know my cold sweat is good for that in the neck. but as i said, email them in case they have a better suggestion...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i know my cold sweat is good for that in the neck. but as i said, email them in case they have a better suggestion...

Why would he want your cold sweat in his neck?

Quote by AngerIsAGift06
So yeah as the title says. I ordered my guitar, and as reviewers seem to consider the stock pickups as the guitars downfall. I thought it might pay to look into some new ones. I'm gonna replace the bridge pickups and I play mostly Thrash and Nu wave metal.

So ive narrowed it down to the DiMarzio Super 3 OR Evolution.

But if you have any better suggestions lay em on me.

Go for it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kyrreca
Why would he want your cold sweat in his neck?

yeah, that did sound a bit strange. a cold sweat neck pickup (by bareknuckle), haha.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Same guitar I got EVos I didnt regret it.....The stock pickups really were'nt that bad though.
But Evo's are designed for really clean sorts of playing style, where it's a single guitarist in that sort of setting, aka Vai, they won't distort very well etc for thrash which needs a bit of wallop on the bass/mids - Dragonforce use them, but again they do a few powerchords but like a majority of seperate note picking that needs definition
Quote by philipisabeast
But Evo's are designed for really clean sorts of playing style, where it's a single guitarist in that sort of setting, aka Vai, they won't distort very well etc for thrash which needs a bit of wallop on the bass/mids - Dragonforce use them, but again they do a few powerchords but like a majority of seperate note picking that needs definition

I agree i dont think evos would suit me as well as bare knuckle or super 3's

Anyone got any more ideas on pickup for shredding in neck position?
Dude try the Super 3. That pick up doesn't get recommended at all EVER but it's bad ass. Try the Fred in the neck too.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
If you can go for BKP's - go for them
I'd love to get a few sets, but yeah i managed to get my DM's in the US for like half price