i'm a junior in hs, my best friend's a senior, and we're both planning on going to college for music. idk what we're doing yet, he wants to do performance, and i want to do that and/or education, but neither of us know yet. anywho, i have a few questions. first of all, my friend was going to buy a six-string bass in november, but now he's thinking that he needs to buy an upright because he thinks he'll be playing in an orchestra, but if he was even good enough, i don't even know if they have upright bass in orchestras, so i think he should buy a six-string first, so what should he get? also, if he gets a six-string, will he be able to play segovia scales on it, or are those just for guitar? i'm getting them on thursday, and if you can do them on bass too, i'm going to copy them for him. finally, what are some good songs i could start out with for classical guitar? i can't start lessons until after marching band is over, so idk what to play yet. i've played guitar for a couple years and i can play "Laid to Rest" and "Stairway to Heaven" and a bunch of other crap, if that helps at all. i've also played piano for ten years, and although i don't know a lot of theory, i know basic scales and obviously i can read music already, and i do percussion and mallets at school, so i'm pretty good with sight-reading. songs, por favor?
The questions about bass were pretty dumb, and they're the only ones I can help with. They allow bass in orchestras, generally if it's double bass or electric doesn't make a difference as it makes the same sound. Double bass will look less out of place though.

You can play scales on any instrument. You can transfer scales from guitar to bass. You might have to play a different pattern depending how you tune the strings on the bass though.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. PARAGRAPHS.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Sep 24, 2007,
um yes theres upright bass in orchestra most schools will supply that. i dont really know what else your asking
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by break-me-in
The questions about bass were pretty dumb, and they're the only ones I can help with. They allow bass in orchestras, generally if it's double bass or electric doesn't make a difference as it makes the same sound. Double bass will look less out of place though.

You can play scales on any instrument. You can transfer scales from guitar to bass. You might have to play a different pattern depending how you tune the strings on the bass though.

well i r n0t a bassist, so i wouldn't know. also, i know you can put the scales on bass, what i meant was can you use the same fingering in your picking hand, or would you play them some other way?
Quote by frottage
well i r n0t a bassist, so i wouldn't know. also, i know you can put the scales on bass, what i meant was can you use the same fingering in your picking hand, or would you play them some other way?

I know "U R n0t bassist". Bassists are smarter than you. Every single bassist on the entire planet. Even the crappy ones who just follow the guitar all the time.

If you knew anything about theory you'd know that any scale can be transferred. And even if you don't play bass, you should still be able to work out that the picking hand will do the normal bass plucking. (Or picking if your friend is lame). But your friend should know this. If he doesn't, he's not fit for music college.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Wait wait wait wait.

I was surprised first of all that you don't know that a double bass is not part of an orchestra. The string instruments of the standard orchestra: violin, viola, cello, bass. A good bass is going to be very expensive.

And secondly, no, you cannot use an electric bass in an orchestra. They do not produce the same sound at all.

If your friend is a senior, he better start applying soon. Usually music school applications are due like December or earlier. For you, take lessons. I can almost guarantee you're not getting into a good music school without private lessons.

This isn't as easy as you think it's going to be, aside from the fact that you're pretty much guaranteed to not have a job (pertaining to your major) after college.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Wait wait wait wait.

I was surprised first of all that you don't know that a double bass is not part of an orchestra. The string instruments of the standard orchestra: violin, viola, cello, bass. A good bass is going to be very expensive.

And secondly, no, you cannot use an electric bass in an orchestra. They do not produce the same sound at all.

If your friend is a senior, he better start applying soon. Usually music school applications are due like December or earlier. For you, take lessons. I can almost guarantee you're not getting into a good music school without private lessons.

This isn't as easy as you think it's going to be, aside from the fact that you're pretty much guaranteed to not have a job (pertaining to your major) after college.

I've seen orchestras with a bass . Odd. Anyway, when I said they produce the same sound, I meant they were both low and deep. Obviously they don't produce the exact same sound or there would be no point in having both exist.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
frottage was the one who didn't know that there was a double bass in the orchestra.

You're the one who said that you could play electric bass in one, which is false. No self-respecting university's music program would allow an electric bass in a classical orchestra.
both of you need to chillax. obviously, if i don't take lessons, i won't make it into college. i'm only a junior, so i have plenty of time. my friend is waiting a year for me, so he'll have time to learn. and break-me-in, you are incorrect. bass is simply easy guitar with two less strings.

Quote by frottage
both of you need to chillax. obviously, if i don't take lessons, i won't make it into college. i'm only a junior, so i have plenty of time. my friend is waiting a year for me, so he'll have time to learn. and break-me-in, you are incorrect. bass is simply easy guitar with two less strings.

All I'm saying is that a lot of people who apply for good conservatories have been playing seriously much longer than a year.

By the way, what kind of job do you think you'll be able to get as a classical guitar performance major?
soo... aside from the bass questions, you are looking to learn classical guitar? well first of all its important that you learn the proper picking technique and stuff

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/finger_picking.html

go through that and learn it and understand it then i will give you some songs =D
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
frottage was the one who didn't know that there was a double bass in the orchestra.

You're the one who said that you could play electric bass in one, which is false. No self-respecting university's music program would allow an electric bass in a classical orchestra.

Ah well, that would explain why I've seen an electric bass in an orchestra...

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by frottage

I'm guessing the means you're just screwing with me. After all, if you actually thought that, you'd be an idiot.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Ah well, that would explain why I've seen an electric bass in an orchestra...

Which orchestra would that be in? It would really surprise me to see something like that, and I've frequented classical music events since I was little and was a French horn performance major for a year.
I thought this was about the Tenacious D song

"If you think its time to f*ckin rock, and f*ckin roll, out of control..."
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
I thought this was about the Tenacious D song

"If you think its time to f*ckin rock, and f*ckin roll, out of control..."

from the tabs ive seen that song is just excerpts of other classical songs lol...
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Which orchestra would that be in? It would really surprise me to see something like that, and I've frequented classical music events since I was little and was a French horn performance major for a year.

My school orchestra. Which is a pile of **** anyway. I don't know much about classical music so I just assumed it was a standard thing. I guess they only let it happen because it's a school and it doesn't matter.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I'm guessing the means you're just screwing with me. After all, if you actually thought that, you'd be an idiot.

you know it's true, douchecrab mcjewbag. admit it.

yes, i r t3h scr00z.

as for majoring in performance, i have no clue. that's why i want to do education too, so i could be a hs band director or something, but i'm guessing that's hard to get into. until then, i'll just try to work at guitar center or wal mart or something.

as for the picking, or fingering or whatever you call it since you don't use a pick, the choir director at my school already showed me, and although i can't play sixteenth notes yet, i can play other stuff pretty easily. i get my segovia scales tomorrow.
Quote by frottage

yes, i r t3h scr00z.

as for majoring in performance, i have no clue. that's why i want to do education too, so i could be a hs band director or something, but i'm guessing that's hard to get into. until then, i'll just try to work at guitar center or wal mart or something.

as for the picking, or fingering or whatever you call it since you don't use a pick, the choir director at my school already showed me, and although i can't play sixteenth notes yet, i can play other stuff pretty easily. i get my segovia scales tomorrow.

HEY! Do not call me Jewish! I love bacon!

(And it's called finger-picking)

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
HEY! Do not call me Jewish! I love bacon!

(And it's called finger-picking)

how the mom did i forget that
I really wouldn't recommend starting off classical without lessons, especially from electric. I don't know what kind of mess I'd be in if I had tried to teach myself off of the internet and books and such. There's just so much technique to it that really doesn't click unless shown to you one on one eg. muting, right hand shape and angles of fingers/nails.

Thats my two cents anyways.
Quote by frottage

yes, i r t3h scr00z.

ah ok then, as for good beginner studies

Allegro- Mauro Giuliani
etude in e minor- Francisco Tarrega
study in e minor- Fernando Carulli
study in a minor- Fernando Carulli

those should get you started also look into fernando Sor's studies

EDIT: easter, thats how i did it and im fine, i just use a combination of videos and online lessons lol... youtube ftw
I'm not saying it can't be done just saying that you'd need to be extremely aware of what you sound like and have alot of patience and self critism at the ready. Fair duce to you CC for doing that, I know I wouldn't have been able to.

Do you perform or do exams or anything like that?