Page 1 of 2
Anti-Flag has entered the studio to begin work on their next full legth, this time with producer Tony Visconti (David Bowie, Morrissey). The album will be the follow up to 2006's RCA debut, For Blood and Empire.

According to #2:

In a sense we are trying to create the most D.I.Y. record we've ever made. This concept is precisely why we chose Tony Visconti to aid us in our vision. This is the first album we have not recorded with a click track since our first release and we are trying to make it sound as live and having as much energy as possible. When writing songs for this album we set out to challenge ourselves and anyone who has any preconceived notion of what Anti-Flag means, believes in, stands for and sounds like.
On October 02, 2007, the band will be releasing the EP, A Benefit for Victims of Violent Crime with proceeds going to The Center for Victims of Violence and Crime.

For anyone who actually cares...
I have For Blood and Empire, and its a good Political Punk album. Unusual skill for a bass player, especially for one who plays punk. This should be interesting.
Damn, and Visconti's done such good work before too.

how is this their most DIY record if someone else is producing it and they're on a major label?
DOWN&OUT
I know it it a bit silly to say that. I think he means, although they're using the record label's equipment, they're just gonna record the songs in as few takes as possible and not master it's squeaky clean e.t.c. so sound more like a DIY record. I have to say if that's true, it's already sounding better than for blood and empire.
I look forward to it. By it I mean the bass work, haha.

No, I do like Anti-Flag, sounds like it'll be good.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Not the best bass player in punk. Rancid and Casualties have better bass in my opinion.

But what do I know.
Quote by RockThe40oz
Haha. So basically they're signed to a major record label just to go back to indie label quality? That makes no sense.

It makes enough sense if you read the first post.
I think he's a good bass, but when the new album comes out, I'm off to the torrents. RCA has enough money.
i have no respect for using click tracks unless you have a terrifying beat to do or are in the most horrendous but cool of all time signatures.
Quote by original=punk
i have no respect for using click tracks unless you have a terrifying beat to do or are in the most horrendous but cool of all time signatures.

Forgive my ignorance, but would using a click track basically be using a metronome while recording?
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
Forgive my ignorance, but would using a click track basically be using a metronome while recording?

yeah
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
meh, its pretty common nowadays with DAWs and I don't think that its a big deal in general.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
It keeps the drummer on time, so it can't be a bad thing
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Joe-Fish
It makes enough sense if you read the first post.

Actually, no it doesn't. If you wanted to sound DIY, why not just sign to an independent record label and not give a major record label all that money to produce your record?
Quote by RockThe40oz
Actually, no it doesn't. If you wanted to sound DIY, why not just sign to an independent record label and not give a major record label all that money to produce your record?

Because they signed a 2 or 3 record deal

Correct me if I'm wrong
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I thought DIY meant "do it yourself," not "do it with the help of a record label."
Quote by element4433
Because they signed a 2 or 3 record deal

Correct me if I'm wrong

So why sign to 2 or 3 record deal if you're just going to "go back to your roots?" Couldn't you have just skipped the selling out part?
Quote by RockThe40oz
So why sign to 2 or 3 record deal if you're just going to "go back to your roots?" Couldn't you have just skipped the selling out part?
I really don't know. I'd consider signing to major label(yeah I'd sell out ) but I'd never sign for a multi-record deal.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

that's not DIY. Do it yourself, would be producing yourself, mixing yourself, etc...etc...sounding crappy is not diy.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by CHEAPSEX
Not the best bass player in punk. Rancid and Casualties have better bass in my opinion.

But what do I know.

and everyone says the casualties bassist is good, but i still don't see it...idk...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

Matt Freeman and Chris #2 are definitely the best in recent memory.

And yeah, I don't see how this is "DIY," but hey, if they're happy with it, they're happy with it, and we all have the choice of whether to buy/listen to it or not.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
mike watt, the bassist from gang of four, subhumans bassist....all good bassists....
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by Adam_Harrison9
Yeah, the best bassist in punk in my opinion. Apparently, his father's one of the best bass players in the world though, I read that in a magazine some time ago.

u've never heard of rancid
No.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

yeah. fat mike's good too. but he kinda limited his showings because he has to sing too. matt freeman and chris barker also. the dude from casualties is good for a streetpunk bassist. the basslines on On The Front Line is pretty awesome
Quote by napalmbrekfast
Well that was an educated reply
It was better than alot you'll get. NOFX is an okay band but the bass playing is too simple, at least in most of the songs I've heard.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by RockThe40oz

Erm, you do realise the label gives the band the money to produce the record right?

Oh and to the people saying oh it's not DIY, yeah chris no.2 explained after the press conference:

yea, that came out weird as they only used half of the quote in the "press release" what i meant was yes "IN A SENSE" it will be our most DIY record musically, were using a lot of different instrumentation and either us or tony (our mate as you nicely put it) are playing it all...

its going really well, and is definitely our most organic record, that is all for now...

word

on the a-f forums board.
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 at Sep 25, 2007,
On the NOFX/Rancid split CD Fat Mike admitted he couldn't play Matt Freemans basslines. So he did his own. Fat Mike isn't thaaat great of a bass player. A really good song writer though.
Page 1 of 2