I understand that of course, there's difference. But I'm thinking, as I am new to electric guitars and don't have lot of money, do I benefit most from an awesome guitar or an awesome amp? I have one homebuilt guitar and one Samick Strato Copy. Is there really much difference in the sound between an expensive guitar and a rather cheap one (besides for the pick-ups)?

I play mostly metal and occasionally regular rock or similar, and have a Samick 6" (I think) amp.
not too much sound wise,but it will be built a little cheaper and wear out faster probably.and a nice sounding amp always helps bring out good in even crappy guitars,so i think that is more of a priority.a guitar i would suggest is ibanez.they make every style well.check them out.
as you have just started, better amp will do you more good...
I started a new wave in music - it's called n00bism...
Oh wait, Curt did it before me
=================
Kramer pacer
Screamin' deamon (neck)
Live-wire metal (bridge, 18v)
Finaly knobs that go to 11
=================
heres how your priorities should be:
killer amp is first
then killer guitar
people say amp affects 90% of your tone, i dont know if thats true, but it affects almost all
so buy a killer amp and use your homebuilt and samick guitars
hope this helps
Quote by athlete1
"Hi,I'm Mac""And I'm a PC""PC?""Pervert Clown"

fleetwood mac?
I started a new wave in music - it's called n00bism...
Oh wait, Curt did it before me
=================
Kramer pacer
Screamin' deamon (neck)
Live-wire metal (bridge, 18v)
Finaly knobs that go to 11
=================
Quote by MilanV
fleetwood mac?

No,look up sunny philadelphia promos on youtube.they make fun of the mac pc commercials.
id get a new amp first. A good guitar on a crappy amp will sound slightly better than a crap guitar on the same amp. But a bad guitar will sound good on a good amp. so spend your money on a good amp.
Would buying a good set of humbuckers for the Samick guitar make it better then? I am considering buying a new amp but I can't afford both so I wanted to know which one is wisest as first choice.
For the price of a good set of humbuckers you can get a 5 watt tube combo that will sound great. Crate Palomino, Peavey Valveking Royal 8, others only $200 USD. All will need a pedal for metal.
The saying goes, the amp is the voice and the guitar is the accent.

Get a good amp. Only someone with trained ears is going to notice the tonal differences of wood quality, wiring, etc.
Thanks. That what I wanted to know.

Ehm, do I really need to pay 200 $ to get better pick-ups. Then I'm more encouraged to buy a new guitar :S
Probably the biggest difference between cheap guitars and great expensive ones is the build quality, and the materials used.
<Han> I love Hitler