I need to interview one for a school project. I'll PM with the questions. Thanks!
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
I will be one day, but not right now, lol
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
i could maybe hook you up, but don't count on it
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
i could maybe hook you up, but don't count on it

Cool, if you can do it before Wendsday that would be awesome, if not I'm lookin around other places too

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

Bump. I need this by today if you guys can spare, I'm searchin other sites too though. Sorry if I'm buggin ya. Also I sent the questions over to all who PM'd me so thank you

Quote by an epic mistake

Bump once more. I NEED an interview! Here are the questions, someone please fill this out and send it to me.

How long is your typical workday?
How many days do you work?
Do you have a lot of free time?
Does work stress you out?
How much do you make a year?
Do you have any benefits?
What kind of education would you recommend?
How long have you been working?
What is your favorite part about the job?
Is their Advancement Opportunity?

Quote by an epic mistake

I'm taking classes to become one right now. I guess that doesn't help you out much though.
Now I'm curious, what does a studio engineer actually do?
Is it a 4 year college career, or a tech school career?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Last edited by Miggy01 at Sep 25, 2007,
Well it could be a little of both, there are four year degrees, and some tech schools will give you a crash course in a few months to a few years. I know Full Sail has an accelerated program that get's you industry-ready in a year. What a sound engineer does (and I'm no expert mind you, that's why I want to got to school for this, but if a REAL engineer could help everyone out and fill out the questions above hint hint...) is records a band takes all the parts, adjusts all the EQ and levels and faders and all that, does their magic, and makes Britney Spears a millionaire. That's like it in a tenth of a nutshell.

Quote by an epic mistake

Cool, I wanna do something with music, and if I'm doing it in a four year college my parents won't freak out about it.
Haha
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Im currently going to USC to become an audio engineer. Im majoring in Music Industry which is a four year degree.

I work at an auditorium where im doing audio stuff. I dont know if that counts.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
Ok, I don't even care anymore, just lie to me say your an engineer and send me realistic answers and an email address. If you get an email askin about it just say your an audio engineer

Quote by an epic mistake

Quote by Scotdizzle
Well it could be a little of both, there are four year degrees, and some tech schools will give you a crash course in a few months to a few years. I know Full Sail has an accelerated program that get's you industry-ready in a year. What a sound engineer does (and I'm no expert mind you, that's why I want to got to school for this, but if a REAL engineer could help everyone out and fill out the questions above hint hint...) is records a band takes all the parts, adjusts all the EQ and levels and faders and all that, does their magic, and makes Britney Spears a millionaire. That's like it in a tenth of a nutshell.

Full Sail isn't very good. Not only do they cost a lot, but they won't help you get into the industry. The best way to go is a 4 year college program. Trust me it is a whole lot better to do it this way, because people are more willing to hire someone from a trusted college and there is a lot of networking within a college.

Basically, don't waste your time with tech schools.

Edit-X: Even though I'm still going to school for this, I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

How long is your typical workday? Depends on how I feel, and what I negotiate with band I am recording. Generally about 8 though.
How many days do you work? It would depend on how busy I am, or the negotiated term with the band.
Do you have a lot of free time? I try to leave some free time for me and my band to practice/get drunk.
Does work stress you out? Sometimes, once again, it usually varies from band to band.
How much do you make a year? Varies.
Do you have any benefits? I personally don't
What kind of education would you recommend? 4 year college
How long have you been working? About 2 years now....
What is your favorite part about the job? Seeing it all come together in one beautifully mastered mix
Is their Advancement Opportunity? Depends, there is a lot to be said about who you know.... That's more how you advance (if you want to call it that)
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Last edited by Metal-X at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by Metal-X
Full Sail isn't very good. Not only do they cost a lot, but they won't help you get into the industry. The best way to go is a 4 year college program. Trust me it is a whole lot better to do it this way, because people are more willing to hire someone from a trusted college and there is a lot of networking within a college.

Basically, don't waste your time with tech schools.

That's another reason I wanted a four year college.
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
http://mixonline.com/education/directory/

Since we got a little sidetracked here I might as well just go with it. That's a massive list of schools.

EDIT: In the USA and Canada mostly

Quote by an epic mistake

Hey thanks man.
Sorry I hijacked your thread

Goddamn, I hate how the peace smiley starts out angry.
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
I answered the questions, and my email is in my profile.

So.... yeah, hopefully that works for ya
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by BigBassFishing
No but my dad is.

How much (roughly) does he make?
Quote by Chikitty_China

Quote by Jestersage
Quote by Metal-X
I answered the questions, and my email is in my profile.

So.... yeah, hopefully that works for ya

Thanks dude, you're a lifesaver! Also thanks to the guy who hijacked the thread. Seriously, it needed to stay alive somehow lol

Quote by an epic mistake