Every time I play my 14th fret on my high e, the noise that comes out is muted and sounds really bad.

To anyone that knows what I'm talking about, how do I fix this?
Are your finger placed in a correct way on the freat and not too far down or to high up on it?
You may need a new nut, or new strings. Possibly both.
I've got a bike you can ride it if you like
Quote by Zazze_3
Are your finger placed in a correct way on the freat and not too far down or to high up on it?

Yes, I've tried every single method of placing it possible, and it still sounds messed up.
Quote by jaggerbush320
You may need a new nut, or new strings. Possibly both.

But then wouldn't all the frets be off?
Last edited by MVP0079 at Sep 24, 2007,
Yep, I had that issue with an acoustic guitar I own.

And... I thought it was strange that after a supposedly thorough inspection that nothing was wrong...

In my case the issue had to do with the string height... it was causing a wicked version of buzzing that basically made the string mute itself.

The issue should be corrected by a simple bridge adjustment... unless you are experienced with adjusting a bridge.. I would take it to your neighborhood guitar store and ask them to adjust it.

If your guitar came with specific alan wrenches... bring those as well.

The only reason I don't think you should try it yourself without the know how is because you can potentially snap your bridge.

That's a negative.
xDD

I hope this fixes your problem!!
Cheers!!
Looking for band in the Florida area... please contact me through E-mail, PM, or MSN.
Thanks.

-Zeikos
Thanks, Zeikos. I need to take my guitar in to get tuned anyway, so I'll just get that done too.

(I know it may seem pathetic I can't tune my own guitar, but I'm self-taught, and still learning how to tune.)