For about the 5th time, trying to pick it up and learn how to play. Good.
What happens is I everytime I get to a point of playing, I don't know what to do else and I pretty much stop playing.

Restringed it today and want to play alot.

The question is... what to play?

I suck at improv and i don't know of any songs on acoustic that would be challenging to learn and i want to play it.

I don't like spanish guitar, I like mostly classic rock so yes.

I know these threads are all over but I want you guys to ask me what I can or can't play and tell me what to do. I'll listen and try until my fingers bleed this time.

Thanks.
Take lessons
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by just17n8
+1

Lessons cost money that I don't have.

You can teach me!
As already stated..

Taking lessons is a good idea.

BUT... even if you DO take lessons there will be times... where you're done until you go back... and you still want to learn new songs.

Personally... I think that you should learn the music that you like... I mean, I try to learn all styles... but I also try to enjoy all styles... making it much easier to grasp.

Many bands have acoustic songs... check to see if your favorite bands have any...

Another cool thing... is to look at unplugged play.
(Metallica is releasing an Unplugged album to go along with their tour.)

When all else fails... remember... an acoustic guitar... has the same exact notes as an electric guitar. So, even if the song isn't acoustic... and it has no acoustic version... you can play it acoustically unless the frets go up too high.

There's just no distortion!! xDD

I play Iron Maiden and certain other band's songs with an acoustic a lot... it's great for finger strength.

Specific recommendations:
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
Emily - From First to Last
Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Gn'R or classic
Patience - GnR
Minuet - Classic, but a really great piece that's fun to play.
Stay Together for the Kids(Intro/bridge)- Blink-182
One - Metallica
Face Down(Acoustic) - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
The Diary of Jane(Acoustic) - Breaking Benjamin

That's all I have right off the top of my head...

you can always try to do some "Eagles" tunes.

Good luck.
=]
Looking for band in the Florida area... please contact me through E-mail, PM, or MSN.
Thanks.

-Zeikos
Also, what are some good scales, like that don't just go up and down, like across alot of the fretboard to work on? Like I run through penatonic but can't quite put a few of them together to get anything out of.

Any suggestions on that?
Quote by xsnow
Also, what are some good scales, like that don't just go up and down, like across alot of the fretboard to work on? Like I run through penatonic but can't quite put a few of them together to get anything out of.

Any suggestions on that?

Any to update...

I like ALOT of tool.
All I can say is that some of my favourite songs to play on acoustic are originally electric that I've never heard an acoustic of at all, but it's just good fun. Check out my profile for examples. It sounds even better if you can nail the solo but I find it hard to move so freely on the higher frets.

Are you a singer? Or are you looking for pure guitarwork here?

I can't answer your scale question, sorry, selftaught and improv here . I really should look more into theory, I don't even know something so basic as scales.
My problem awhile ago was i was just sort of in a musical mess, so what you should do is expand your musical range, go find new bands, listen to them, look high and low till you find something that brings back your thirst to play, you'll find some great stuff start playing get better, then you can go back learn other stuff and your flying high. You can pick something up from every artist you listen to and learn their music.
part of learning guitar is taking initiative and learning songs on your own. Doesn't sound like you're actively seeking to learn. Rather, its a more passive "tell me what to do and I'll do it" learning style which is what probably lead to 5 failures.

ultimate guitar is one of the best resources on the internet. The information is here, it's up to you to listen to some songs and decide BY YOURSELF, what you want to learn.
Quote by fsb_ben
part of learning guitar is taking initiative and learning songs on your own. Doesn't sound like you're actively seeking to learn. Rather, its a more passive "tell me what to do and I'll do it" learning style which is what probably lead to 5 failures.

ultimate guitar is one of the best resources on the internet. The information is here, it's up to you to listen to some songs and decide BY YOURSELF, what you want to learn.

I'm actually playing through songs and trying to make progress it just seems like i feel like i'm getting nothing out of it.
It also sounds like your not having any fun playing guitar, which is really what it's all about. We have fun and enjoy playing. If it feels like a chore every time you try to play something, then your most likely not getting into it. Learning guitar is hard, no doubt about it. Lessons are a big time help, but since you can't afford them, looking elsewhere for instruction is cool too, but only if you apply what your learning, and have fun doing it. There's no need to push yourself to the point that your fingers bleed either. That just tells me that you are forcing yourself to do something painful, and that you need to take a break. Seems to me you need ideas and some fun things to do. Here's a site that has some instructional videos and the guy stresses that you enjoy playing guitar. Happy fretting!

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/
leftydave, i think you did hit it right on the nail.

I just learned a groove from the grudge by tool last night and i've been playing it over and over because i like the way it plays.

there are a few songs that i seem to play all the time and nothing else becuase now that you mentioned it, i really don't like playing them so much, i'm just playing them to maybe make myself learn better.

i need to challenge myself into some hard songs to learn the groove too.

the songs mentioned above, i played through them sight reading and listened to them and just couldn't fall into them.

Recommendations for Drop D tuning on acoustic?
Last edited by xsnow at Sep 25, 2007,
Learn chords dude!
and then pick up songs and get the chords online or try fuiguring them out on ur own.
first learn open chords like G,C, Am, D.... a lot of songs use them
just start with basics...
Wish you were here by pink floyds a great song, u can learn the intro and chords easy, the intro solo, and the solo will come later
for Drop D..... everlong acoustic by foo fighters... awesome song

and jus tpick up classic songs like lean on me or the cat came back, learn teh chords an dplay for your friends and lett em sing!!