Hi everyone,
I've recently customized two of my guitars (one strat and one P-Bass). The strat was a simple led mod and I have no questions about it. But for my P-Bass, I re-painted it and put new pickups in it. I think I did a fairly good job considering it was my first time painting anything this serious. I found out early on that I wouldn't get a good result with a paintbrush, so I got some of those preval spray cans from stewart-macdonald. I was wondering, for future projects, what kind of airbrush or paint sprayer can I get that works good for guitars? I was thinking something something similar to the paint sprayers they use for cars, but maybe a little smaller. And what brands and stores do you recommend I buy them from? (I'm in the USA). Thanks for help in advance, and in return, I show you my finished projects:

6th member of "its not rape, its surprise sex" club
good paint jobs man, mine wouldnt look that good on my 10th try.
Last edited by Zida at Sep 24, 2007,
nice
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
The only problem I have with it, which you can't see from the pictures, is around the side of the guitar the finish is uneven and discolored (couldn't get enough paint on without it dripping over the side). So yeah, my main question was can any of you recommend an airbrush system? (or paint sprayer, or whatever it is called, I'm still not sure) Thanks
I just use 'wal-mart special' krylon. If done right, you can get 'factory' finishes with spray paint. but just go to Grizzly and get a sprayer. The guy that owns the company is a luthier and they sell machines, etc. to places like Fender, Gibson, G&L, etc. and the prices are awesome. go here: http://grizzly.com/
For a car painting size paint sprayer the manufacturers say you need a huge air compressor to get the recomended consistant air pressure, Some of the cheap sprayers I have looked at say you need at least 35-40 gallon air compressor. Of course you aren't going to paint a whole car or anything extremely large so I would assume this is overkill.

I'd ask someone who is more familure with these things about the air compressor size issue before you buy anything though, just to be safe. I thought about just getting a hobby airbrush (though it would be tedious) but I worry that it would be too inconsistant with my bad technique and such a small spray area.

edit*looks great by the way!
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
For a car painting size paint sprayer the manufacturers say you need a huge air compressor to get the recomended consistant air pressure, Some of the cheap sprayers I have looked at say you need at least 35-40 gallon air compressor. Of course you aren't going to paint a whole car or anything extremely large so I would assume this is overkill.

I'd ask someone who is more familure with these things about the air compressor size issue before you buy anything though, just to be safe. I thought about just getting a hobby airbrush (though it would be tedious) but I worry that it would be too inconsistant with my bad technique and such a small spray area.

edit*looks great by the way!

yeah thats where i'm lost... what size to get, how much power/pressure... anyone on here have an airbrush that they're happy with and can recommend?